Feb 17, 2009

img032
img029
img033

In an effort to keep magazines and newspapers from taking over my house, yard and garage, I started clipping my favorite articles and pictures for an inspiration file about five years ago. Now, the file has grown to (at least) several boxes. I wanted to give you a little look inside.

Here are some of the things I pulled out randomly today: A story from the New York Times magazine on lipstick queen Poppy King; A photograph of colored shirts (Great Gatsby, anyone?) in Real Simple; My dream desk, flanked by books and Hermes boxes; There’s an Elle magazine book page, which is always excellent. The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg is featured. (Bragg once asked me out on a date, many moons ago); There’s a picture of Hayden Panettiere in the ultimate Burberry coat and an inspiration board featured in the April 2008 issue of Domino magazine (don’t get me started on how much I already miss Domino); From Bazaar, there’s a Fashionable Life profile of Isabel Toledo. And my favorite: A watercolor of a pink coat (from a review of “Drawing Fashion: The Art Kenneth Paul Block.”) As usual my eye is drawn to anything pink.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 at 3:48 pm. It is filed under Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

10 Responses to “Inside My Inspiration File”

1. chelsea says:

LOVE this!

2. Nadia says:

There are three dozen lovely fantasies and twice that number of interesting projects suggested by just this collage. What a wonderful idea and would I like a few hours to sift through all your inspiration boxes.

3. The Clever Pup says:

In the words of Daisy Buchanan, “I’ve never seen such beautiful shirts!”

I keep an inspiration scrap book too. I’ve been keeping scrap books for about 10 years. But I want to state that it’s not “scrapbooking”

http://recordtheday.blogspot.com/ does the same thing.

4. Uncle Beefy says:

I always LOVE seeing other’s inspiration files/boards/etc.! I immediately loved the pic of Poppy King! I have SO many images and torn mag pages (my partner could KILL ME!) but am thinking of doing an entire wall of inspiring imagery. Now if only my partner will concede! Oh well if not…then there will be a kitchen strike! One can only live on cereal for so long! AH HA!!! 😉

Thanks for the lovely burst of happiness, Tina! 🙂

5. The Clever Pup says:

Hi Tina,

You were in fact my Muse today. I dusted off my scrap books and posted a couple of collages over on my site. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hazel

6. Tina says:

Thank you!! so happy you liked the post!! My lovely fellow bloggers, you are the ones who inspire me every day with your beautiful sites…

7. Katie says:

I love your collages, they’re so inspiring! And I wish I could get all my clippings organized.

8. Deep South says:

Clever, Clever….clever! Finally a blog that is smart and beautiful at the same time…love it. Plan to visit often! Thanks for sharing so much.
    Andie
    Google: Deep South Wanderings

9. Rollergirl says:

Mmm, heaven!

10. jaqueline says:

I love your idea of an inspiration file…I keep an inspiration notebook, and an inspiration wall thats my desktop image that I keep adding things I see and like online one on top of the other until the old is covering the new. But I haven't found a clever enough system for my growing obsession with magazines… I have to admit there starting to get a little difficult to store. I have come up with something that clever…

All content © 2016 by English Muse