Mar 03, 2009

c-11

c-12

I love these old Life magazines photos of the ballerinas on break at George Balanchine’s School of American Ballet in NYC. I was horrible at ballet as a child, but kept wanting to sign up for classes simply because I loved tutus. (I eventually gave it up because I was always tripping over my own feet. I decided to try Disco instead. The results were equally horrendous. ) Now I love the ballet for, yes, the tutus, but for so many other things as well….

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 at 3:47 pm. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

10 Responses to “Ballerinas on Break”

1. Jojo says:

haha, this makes me laugh, I too was awful at ballet, despite my mother’s best efforts! And the pictures are beautiful, I love them. Oh to be that graceful, huh? I have just started following your blog, and i think it’s fabulous!

2. The Clever Pup says:

I was awful at ballet too. My dance teachers were an English mother/daughter duo and the daughter was at least 65 – I kid you not.

I was very proud of my blue tutu and the spangly head dress I had to wear at the recital

3. Tina says:

oh you got to wear blue!! mine was pink. my mom saved it for years, flattened into a box. I wonder where it is now..sigh…

4. LauraCassidy says:

Love these pics. I never did ballet as a kid but I did a course of adult ballet classes last year. I felt ever so graceful after them!

5. puglyfeet says:

Thank you for these lovely pictures. So precious.

6. Christine S. says:

I just love how healthy and strong these ballet dancers look, not the modern anorexic stereotype.

7. Annabelle says:

I’m the same – but I quit because I had a teacher called mrs smiles who was mean! Irony!

8. Liz says:

They look much more solidly built than I imagine ballerinas today to be.

9. poet says:

Same here – I still love the esthetics of old-fashioned (i.e. non-anorectic and tutu-adorned) ballet even though I was so bad at it that my teachers tried to get rid of me with all the required meanness. It didn’t make me graceful, though – it took a tango class to make me lose my ugly-duckling-waddle (and start floating like a swan? 🙂

10. Austin Dance says:

What beautiful photos! They’re like a more modern version of Dega’s ballerinas.

All content © 2016 by English Muse