Mar 03, 2009

I took my Polaroid camera with me this weekend on my various outings, and this is how one of the photos turned out. Completely blue. Some weird underexposure thing I guess. (I was trying to take pictures of flowering trees.)

The color makes me think of the French film Blue, starring Juliette Binoche. I noticed that several of my blogging girlfriends have the movie listed as one of their favorites. (It’s one of mine too.) What is it about that film that resonates so much with women?

From Miranda:
“I think Blue is a kind of essay on a woman’s intrinsic power to rediscover hereself in the emotional chaos of total loss. It’s an enduring tribute to the power of the feminine. . .plus she’s lovely to look at.”

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 at 1:10 am. It is filed under Polaroids. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

6 Responses to “Blue”

1. Tina Tarnoff says:

I’ve never seen the movie Blue, but I can tell you how looking at this blue Polaroid makes me feel: confused and clear, mercurial and stable, happy and sad, curious and knowing. I’m in love with this photo, it’s wonderful how sometimes great things happen by accident.

2. Neltner says:

Wow – I haven’t thought of those films in years…isn’t Juliette Binoche beautiful? She somewhat reminds me of Audrey Hepburn – which is probably why I like her. I might just have to re-watch the Bleu, Blance et Rouge trilogy…I wonder if I think of liberte, egalite et fraternite in a different light – now that over 10 years have gone by

3. this wheel's on fire says:

hey thanks for “following” me because now i’ve found your lovely blog! i absolutely adore it xoxoxo

4. The Clever Pup says:

Although I love foreign film I found the premise of Blue to be too sad. Maybe I will watch it someday.

I love La Binoche too. She share’s my son’s birthday although 30 years apart. I think she is the epitome of beauty.

She reminds me of a different Audrey – Tautou. It would be great to see them as sisters one day.

5. Miranda says:

I think Blue is a kind of essay on a woman’s intrinsic power to rediscover hereself in the emotional chaos of total loss. Its an enduring tribute to the power of the feminine. . .plus she’s lovely to look at.

6. giulia says:

Thank you Miranda. I'm one of the Bleu "people." Without going into it much here, Tina & a few others know that I've referred to total loss (via violence instead of auto accident but post-trauma feeling is much the same) & your succinct summation is one that instantly resonated with me.

I have more to say but not ready yet & this wouldn't be the forum. But thanks to everyone for commenting & to Tina for the Polaroid. These are helping me to refine/edit what I've written so far. Who knew that would happen? Not me.

xo, Susan