Mar 06, 2009

20080726010815

…so high above…
20090107145412

…you might be spoiling me…
20090303114405
…with too much, love. –Bob Dylan

Happy Friday. It’s so beautiful here today. Puffy, cotton-candy clouds and cool air. I can hear a lawnmower and there’s a mocking bird out there singing like a car alarm.

I wanted to share with you some of the cloud photos I found on We Heart It (credits here). I remember as a child my father — a painter and a sculptor — would ask me if I could see the sleeping satyr in the clouds. I always could on the summer afternoons when the big rain clouds would move in from the west in New Mexico, where I grew up.

Even now, I look for the satyr and think of my dad, who always puts the mythological figure in the cloudy skies of his oil paintings.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 6th, 2009 at 4:05 pm. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

22 Responses to “Dragon Clouds….”

1. Charlotte says:

Isn’t it wonderful how the magic a loving parent breaths into their child’s life stays with them forever?

2. The Clever Pup says:

Purple clover, Queen Anne lace,
    Crimson hair across your face,
    You could make me cry if you don’t know.
    Can’t remember what I was thinkin’ of
    You might be spoilin’ me too much, love,
    Yer gonna make me lonesome when you go.

3. Tina says:

ah, hello charlotte and clever pup! now i’m going to be singing that dylan song all day…have you heard shawn colvin’s cover of it? it’s fantastic!
    xoxo

4. sallymandy says:

Thanks EM! These are beautiful. I like the white hot-air balloons in the second one. I agree with Charlotte.

5. Tina Tarnoff says:

Clouds are truly my muse, I could stare at them forever. Recently I discovered The Cloud Appreciation Society, here’s the link http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/, and here is their marvelous manifesto:

WE BELIEVE that clouds are unjustly maligned
    and that life would be immeasurably poorer without them.

We think that they are Nature’s poetry,

and the most egalitarian of her displays, since
    everyone can have a fantastic view of them.

We pledge to fight ‘blue-sky thinking’ wherever we find it.
    Life would be dull if we had to look up at

cloudless monotony day after day.

We seek to remind people that clouds are expressions of the
    atmosphere’s moods, and can be read like those of
    a person’s countenance.

Clouds are so commonplace that their beauty is often overlooked.
    They are for dreamers and their contemplation benefits the soul.
    Indeed, all who consider the shapes they see in them will save
    on psychoanalysis bills.

And so we say to all who’ll listen:
    Look up, marvel at the ephemeral beauty, and live life with your head in the clouds!

Isn’t that wonderful?!

6. zoe858 says:

Hi,
    I agree with Sally. The second one with the hot-air balloons….is beautiful!!!

7. Micaela says:

LOVE IT!

8. Tina says:

WOW!! Wonderful!!

9. Tina says:

i love the sentiment that clouds are nature’s poetry….

10. daydream lily says:

oh look at the balloons one!! so gorgeous.

have a lovely weekend Tina.

11. Joanna Goddard says:

so beautiful.

12. The Wanderers' Daughter says:

You set the scene beautifully! I can almost feel your afternoon.

My father was also a painter and sculptor (born in New Mexico, incidentally) and on top of that he used to jam with Bob Dylan in his Woodstock days. So you’ve hit all sorts of buttons for me here!

Wishing you a lovely weekend, and may the clouds spoil you with too much love 😉

13. automatism says:

Just lovely. Thanks so much for sharing!

Lori

14. Lynne says:

I love cloud photos. Have you ever read the book A Cloudspotter’s Guide – it is brilliant. There’s a true story of someone falling through a cloud…quite the experience.

15. Doreen says:

I love clouds! great shots.

As a child, I would lay on the floor gazing out the window at the clouds trying to see shapes, animals, people, flowers, etc. I think it was my Mom’s way of getting me to nap. Before long I would be snoozing away….

I think I see a post coming for me!!

16. Julia says:

What a beautiful and thoughtful post. The cloud images are divine!

17. Just Penneys says:

I flew for an airline a long time ago. For me, the best part of each flight was take off and landing, because I could sit and stare at the clouds.
    To this day, whenever I fly, I have to have a window seat so I can look out the window, and dream, with my head, still, “in the clouds”..
    These are exquisite photos!
    Thank You!
    xo,
    Just Penneys
    p.s. Dylan gave us so much, and always will.

18. Neltner says:

I had no idea your dad did that with his paintings! I think Mema has one at her house – I am going to look for it next time I’m there:) Your dad came to NKY right after I started taking art lessons in grade school, and he sat with me for about 30 showing me how to knead my eraser and how to uncoil my charcoal pencils – I love those things still:)

Thanks for the story – it made me smile.

19. Tina says:

Wow! Thank you so much for your beautiful comments! I’m so deeply touched by your warm wishes and stories.

I just got back from the farmer’s market! Bought tuber roses, red ranunculus, red tulips and a mix of roses…(and yummy veggies too.) took pictures, of course…working on a little blog item now, so please check back…

have a wonderful saturday!!

xoxox

20. Esther Maria Swaty says:

I love cotton candy clouds! They remind me of growing up in the south & Finding Neverland 🙂

21. Cali Girl says:

GREAT pictures! so refreshing and pretty! xo.

22. Jennifer DeDonato says:

Wonderful pictures!! I love the heart.

All content © 2016 by English Muse