Mar 01, 2009

I know this little photo, by Jackie Young, has been making the rounds out there on We Heart It and other locales. I wasn’t going to post it, but I can’t stop thinking about the sentiment expressed with just a few typewritten words. I’ve been thinking a lot about loss lately, I guess. So here is your key.

UPDATE: From Jackie, the creator of the key picture!!

hi.
i made this key image about a year ago after (you guessed it) my boyfriend of 6 years and i called it quits.
i never sent it.
eventually, the key went back on my keychain. the tag attached to it sat in the cupholder of my car for about 3 months. finally, it was so yellow with coffee spills that i threw it away.

sigh.

i’m glad you all like it. i almost didn’t post it, but i’m glad i did.
xo.
j.

(You’re famous, girl! Bloggers around the world are talking about your key note! xoxox)

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 1st, 2009 at 1:41 am. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

7 Responses to “The Key”

1. The Wanderers' Daughter says:

Ouch. That’s a painful little story in an image. I have seen this story played out many a time in youth…why are the young at once so cruel and so fragile?

2. Tina says:

When I saw the photo on We Heart It, it had already been marked as a favorite by more than 100 people. (I believe it originally ran on Le Love. Does anyone know for sure?)

If only cruelty and fragility were reserved for the youth. They are behaviors that seem to carry long into adulthood, searing hearts along the way. This little picture is a powerful reminder of both long-ago hurts and the ones in the present.

3. P. says:

Reminds me so much of the Elizabeth Bishop poem, “One Art”. http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/one-art/

4. Tina says:

Ah, here’s the Bishop poem. Beautiful.

One Art

The art of losing isn’t hard to master;
    so many things seem filled with the intent
    to be lost that their loss is no disaster,

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
    of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
    The art of losing isn’t hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
    places, and names, and where it was you meant
    to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother’s watch. And look! my last, or
    next-to-last, of three beloved houses went.
    The art of losing isn’t hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
    some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
    I miss them, but it wasn’t a disaster.

— Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
    I love) I shan’t have lied. It’s evident
    the art of losing’s not too hard to master
    though it may look like (Write it!) a disaster.

Elizabeth Bishop

5. Miranda says:

Somebody once said that love is the realization that you care for another more than you care for yourself. At that moment, I don’t think there are any doors that can’t be opened.

6. jackie says:

hi.
    i never sent it.

sigh.

i’m glad you all like it. i almost didn’t post it, but i’m glad i did.
    xo.
    j.

7. puglyfeet says:

Bring tears to my eyes. So sad and so sweet.

All content © 2016 by English Muse