Mar 24, 2009

wooden shoe

office

Here are a few grainy Polaroids of my office, with a look inside my messy large desk drawer. The ballerina papercut is by the talented Tina Tarnoff and the Hollywood gum is from Paris (Thank you Terry!)…

Office
I have a photo of Obama in silhouette (taken at a book signing party he had in LA two years ago). There are stacks of magazines. I can’t seem to part with them. I use an old oil can as a ring rack and an eggcup to hold paperclips. (The colorful brooch was a gift from Tina. I love it!) A cachepot bought in Chinatown holds pens, pencils and plastic scissors. And there’s a red polka dot change purse filled with coins. Centimes and shillings, pesos and liras.

change purse

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 at 1:55 am. It is filed under Blog, house and home. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

18 Responses to “Office Snapshots”

1. Helen says:

I wanna hang out in your office!

2. Tina says:

Ha! Thank you!

3. Lauren says:

Aww your office is gorgeous! I love all the colorful books. Geez, I want your life!!! (aspiring journalist)

4. Tina Tarnoff says:

I can see that the brooch loves it’s new surroundings: the colorful paperclips were always it’s favorite, not to mention the oversized rings. Thank you for including it in your office snapshot! The office is an absolute wonderful vibrant dream, my lovely. Obama looks like he wouldn’t want to be anywhere else, and I, I am so besotted by that coin purse. Dots! Sigh…

5. Tina says:

Ah Lauren! Thank you! Journalism is a wonderful and worthy career. At the moment, it’s very hard, especially for newspaper reporters. Fifty-five of my colleagues were laid off today. My heart aches for them.
    You should pursue your dreams. Maybe we can still find a way to make it all work, this old and new media…
    Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you…

6. Char says:

I miss my office….yours reminded me of the one I used to have.

7. *moggit girls says:

Very, very cool. We wish our office looked like this. (Sadly, Janet wishes her office wan’t in a closet…)

Joy and Janet

8. Miranda says:

Your blog is like being invited into your charming and inspiring office for a daily visit. It reminds me of William Morris’ wonderful advice that we should never have anything around us in our homes that is not useful and beautiful. Thanks.(P.S. Can beauty ever not be useful?)

9. LauraCassidy says:

I love it. Especially the magazine holders.

10. Lauren says:

Thanks so much Tina! Right now I’m a senior in high school, but I’m going to be at UCLA soon (if I can afford it :/) I’m trying to decide what to major in. I want to either be a journalist or lawyer. I want to be journalist because I think I would want a slower-paced lifestyle than that of a lawyer (although I could be really off on that, journalists may work just as many hours as lawyers)and I love writing.

Anyway, we’ll see! I read that it doesn’t matter what you major in, all that matters is that you write, write, write. That’s what gets you noticed.

11. The Wanderers' Daughter says:

You have a wonderful, eclectic and worldly office! I love it!

12. sølvi says:

I love clutter…and polaroids. Beautiful post. Thank u:-)

13. TerryB says:

Ca me fait plaisir! Mwaaa

14. The Cottage Cheese says:

I would like to live in your office! It is a warm and happy place. Someday I would like my office to have this much personality (right now it is chaotically filled with 1/2 made pieces for the handmade Etsy shop that I’ve been trying to open for 5 months and inventory for the vintage Etsy shop that I can’t find time to list). You’ve inspired me to take some time in a couple of weeks to get my office under control so that I may ENJOY being in the room rather than feeling stressed about how much I have to do. See, you really are my “muse”!

15. Tina says:

oh, thank you cottage cheese!!

And by the way Lauren love, go to law school!!!! UCLA!! U smart girl! xoxo

16. mary says:

Eeek! Love these shots! I’ve been staring at the one of the inside of your drawer…so great!

17. Hayley says:

i love saving old magazines! i still have some of my mother’s old people magazines from the early nineties, hah

18. Adrienne Rewi says:

I’m so pleased you persevered through low blog numbers in the beginning Tina – it’s been worth for you I’m sure – and certainly for your readers. Love your lovely ecclectic mix of things – and no office should be without its piles of books and colour and texture and form and stuff and stuff and more stuff and even more stuff on top of that! It’s where we work – it should be a place laden with inspiration! I’ll be back!

All content © 2014 by The English Muse