Mar 24, 2009

I’m still gathering plates from thrift stores for my plate wall. I found another photo for inspiration on lovely Charlie’s Design Diary. These are all Marimekko plates. What do you think? I love the black flower…

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 at 2:40 pm. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

21 Responses to “Plate Wall”

1. Tina Tarnoff says:

Here is a link (http://toastandtables.blogspot.com/2007/05/art-of-arranging-with-plates.html) to an abundance of plate walls – most of the photos are from Domino Mag. Thomas Paul silhouette plate wall is fantastic, and your profile plate is on that wall too!

2. Jane Flanagan says:

I love this!!! When I see hangings like this I always hold on to them, because if I was facing a blank wall I would never come up with such creative configurations!

3. My Castle in Spain says:

so fresh and agréablement colorful !

4. trishiekoh says:

Fantastic look. I thought a wall of clocks is great but this is even better (and quite likely, cheaper!)

5. Little Gray Pixel says:

I’m so impressed that you were able to find these gorgeous plates at thrift stores … every time I look, all I find is a bunch of chipped boringware. Do you have a secret?

6. The Wanderers' Daughter says:

Loooove marimekko patterns. My mum was a Marimekko addict when I was little, and I have (to pass down to our daughter) some lovely ’60s Marimekko kids clothing from my own babyhood. Gotta post that one of these days!

7. kerri j. says:

I love that wall! I buy a plate every time I go to Anthropology. I like to eat off pretty plates, but I’m seriously thinking about a plate wall now.

Gorgeous!!!!

8. Galla says:

I really love your space, Tina.
    I just can’t explain why, but it makes me feel good.
    is’t it a primary carateristhic of beautiful things?

I’m an italian girl.
    Isn’t it curious?
    World is little.

ok, i’m getting boring.
    Nice to meet you.

Elena.

9. Doreen says:

the plate with the cows is cute!! nice wall and what a great idea!

10. Charlotte says:

The black flower is the obvious star, but I think the arrangement of an excellent collection is a little clunky. . .It’s needs to be dynamic and unresolved, which is what this arranger was going for, but didn’t quite achieve. I love this discussion. Plate walls are so under-appreciated and such a wonderful way to express a personal sensibility that’s wholly contemporary and affectionate toward tradition.

11. The Cottage Cheese says:

Neat idea, using vintage plates! And I love anything marimekko as well…

12. Averill says:

LOVE these. The fun Marimekko patterns really make a very traditional decorating trick (i.e., the plate wall) fresh and modern.

13. puglyfeet says:

I’ve always wondered how people install these plates. These are pretty.

14. sallymandy says:

I adore these, especially with the black and white tablecloth.

What a great idea…a plate wall. Will they need to be dusted often? That’s sometimes a deal breaker for me. :)

Maybe you can post a picture of yours when it’s finished!

15. Ms Unreliable says:

This image is in my inspiration folder too, I never thought I’d love plates on walls, but I’m TOTALLY infatuated. I love this arrangement too, my efforts at haphazard never look quite so graceful! :D

16. daydream lily says:

i love these plate walls. I have been collecting different plates from opshops..but i use them as my dinner set

17. Hayley says:

your plate wall is beautiful! i love the black flower one and the red and white one (:

18. Charlie says:

Tina, Thank you so much for the mention! I adore that photo, the composition of the plates against a bright white wall, the red chair peeking from behind that awesomely retro black and white fabric used as a tablecloth is marvelous. So pleased you liked it. I’ll pass your details to the people at Marimekko, they will love your post!

19. Suzy May says:

What a super idea! I have a birdhouse wall on one side of my storage shed at the lake plus a series of cups/saucers hanging under my kitchen cupboards but your plate wall – I love it! The black elements make it very dramatic.

20. Little Ms Blogger says:

I love plates and pottery so your plate wall is great.

Really love the red one.

21. jen jafarzadeh says:

I don’t think I’ll ever tire of seeing pretty plate walls. Thanks for the inspiration!