Apr 10, 2009

black cat observed

black cat

black cat

black cat

Hello everyone. I’m completely and totally smitten with artist Peter Alexander. I admit it. I love his Los Angeles cityscapes, his palm tree abstracts, his stunning painting of the full moon (posted last night.) But he won my heart with this series above.

He created these drawings — pastel on paper — in 1987 as an ode to his beloved black cat, Romance. Maybe it’s because we have two black cats. (I love them!) A couple years ago, my young daughter decided to create an almanac of cat positions:

There was the french fry, the donut, the vulture, the croissant and — the most beloved of all — the bread loaf position.

Makes me happy to think about it. These drawings reminded me.

This entry was posted on Friday, April 10th, 2009 at 1:46 am. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

18 Responses to “Black Cat, Observed”

1. Charlotte says:

What wonderful drawings. They capture that essence of feline repose. They are such magic beings, each one a perfect work of watchful grace. Thanks for drawing out attention to such marvelous work by someone who clearly is a wonderful artist.

2. giulia says:

You had me at "cat." I can't believe I'm online. A friend of mine lent me an adorable book earlier this year…cat positions. I think it might have been 'yoga cat' or some such. Anyway, I just finished playing with Julie…an energetic game all my cats have enjoyed called "stir fry kitty." Place hand in belly area on bed (on sheet only), & whirl around in circle…

It's funny…we all have names for the positions. I think my 'chicken-kitty' might be B's bread loaf…but I think we all use 'croissant.'

Thanks for sharing these marvellous images. He's terrific.

And with that, zee cat & I are off to sleep…ciao-meow

3. SOL says:

I love these drawings of the cat. Also, I love the idea of an almanac of cat positions!

4. Triin says:

The first is the best!

5. Alisa says:

These are wonderful drawings.

6. Hayley says:

wow. his drawing abilities are spectacular! these are so adorable (:

7. auxpaysdesmerveilles says:

Amazing drawings, so simple but still they get the essence of what cats do haha!

8. Daisy says:

These really are so perfect to look at !

9. Brian Miller says:

nice. very elegant.

10. The Cottage Cheese says:

This cat series is amazing! Your daughter’s almanac of cat positions is too cute. You’ve inspired me to post a pic of a sweet black kitty from one of my job sites on my blog!

11. Char says:

we always called the breadloaf the “kitty loaf”

a very cute entry

12. Tina Tarnoff says:

Oh my god, I love these! I also have a black enormous cat, named Archibald. He’s, hold on, can it be, impossible, 27 years old!! I got him in 91, so I guess it is so. He lives with my mother now, and only slips, eats and miows. I guess, all cats do regardless of age. He’s teribly moody and used to like hiding around the corner, under the bed and then jump on your bare feet and start munching them. And, would not tolerate more than several minutes (seconds, actually) of cuddling and petting. I have numerous scas to prove his short temper. And, did I say he’s enormuos! A real, royal, egyptian cat. I Miss him, and I ove these drawings!
    xoxo

13. nathalie et cetera says:

wonderful drawings! black cat are hard to photograph and hard to draw. these are purrrrrfect!

14. A Wanderer's Wares says:

Oh goodness! How fabulous! Thanks for alerting me to the presence of Peter and these paintings are darling, I have a black cat too! And that moon-scape. It feels mystical but comfy and close. Thanks!

15. sallymandy says:

These are so simple and graphic, and perfect. I didn’t know at first that they were pastels; I thought photographs, because he captures the kitty’s fur’s texture so well. I can almost feel the warm sun on his back in the last one.

Thanks!

16. Rajesh Kumar.Chekuri says:

great blog….

we heartily inviting to my blog http://funevil.blogspot.com/ Ready to accept pain of FUN

17. Yaana says:

That really caught my eyes.. I love black cats.. I had two of them a couple of years ago and I still misses them greatly.. T.T

18. The Wanderers' Daughter says:

This reminds me of a good friend of ours back in the Woodstock days – she was one of the few among our group who was NOT an artist, but as a hobby she did these gorgeous sumi-painting-style portraits of her cats with a brush and ink stone. They were a lot like this. Beautiful.

All content © 2016 by English Muse