Apr 08, 2009

IMG_3358-pola

A few days ago a message popped up on one of my posts from a lovely young woman named Shokoofeh in Tehran, Iran. I was so excited and intrigued: I love that there are women bloggers in Iran. It underscored, yet again, how we are all citizens of the world brought together on this amazing thing called the Internet.

Shokoofeh’s blog, A New Simple Something!, is simply wonderful. She has Polaroids of her friends and family (like the one above.) And today she writes so beautifully about Iranian fashion designer Afshin Feiz who finds inspiration in the gorgeous words of Sufi poet Rumi.

Shokoofeh includes this snippet of a Rumi poem:

“In your light I learn how to love
In your beauty, how to make poems
You dance inside my chest
where no-one sees you
but sometimes I do
and that sight becomes this art”

It is truly art and love and poetry that unite us.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 at 2:27 pm. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

26 Responses to “Shokoofeh”

1. akka says:

She’s beautiful!
    I feel touched by her life through this one photo alone. As I feel touched by yours…

2. Daisy says:

delightful ! I shall visit of course !

3. Micaela says:

i love her! :)she is the cutest isn’t she? such a darling!

4. P. says:

What a great find – I’m looking forward to exploring her blog. I’m really fascinated by Iran and would love to travel there.

5. GinaTricoteur says:

I love her blog. Her pictures are amazing…so clear and bright.
    I love your blog too English Muse…:)

6. AnetaG says:

WOW! I am always amazed at the power of the internet and the places it reaches. We are all one! I feel so connected to people with a common goal all over the world!

7. Roarclothing says:

thats so lovely. thanks for showing us that 🙂
    xx jade

8. That writer chic... says:

Several years ago, a dear friend presented me with a book that was filled with poetry by Rumi. It has become one of my most cherished possessions.

Namaste
    Dawn

9. Charlotte says:

It’s hard to go wrong when you say yes to love, art and poetry. Thanks for reminding us.

10. Nicola says:

How wonderful 🙂

11. Viewtiful_Justin says:

I aore that blog! I shall be following it now! Thanks for opening my eyes to her.

12. littlesquidge says:

Wow thank google for making your blog a ‘blog of note’, such a beautiful blog, and so many linked blogs to explore.

Why doesn’t everyone make their blogs as beautiful as yours?

13. THE PARIS HOUSE says:

Thanks for sharing this beautiful blog with us. some of my most wonderful memories of of the middle east.. just gorgeous

14. Char says:

a gorgeous share

15. Charlie says:

Hi Tina, It is 1:59 AM and now it’s my turn not to sleep..ahvey. I saw her the night you couldn’t sleep, you reacted to her comment. I went to her blog and really enjoyed my visit. This is great, you have us interacting. In the year I have been blogging, never before. My hat is off to you my friend. Have a great day!

16. Tina says:

Thank you Charlie darling! I love you! Try to get some sleep! xo

17. Dionne says:

True how blogging is such a way to make us realize that we all so similar. Yes, poetry and prose are in all cultures and all nationalities, I love that it’s often a bridge over all these ‘gaps’ of ocean.

18. Annabelle says:

Wow, I’m definitely going to visit her blog! When we see things on the news about Iran etc I automatically think a certain way about societal conventions, so it’s so nice to see her breaking down this barrier!

P.S. Thanks for your comment! 🙂 Would love that email and to meet you would be great, yes in NYC in December, san fran in jan.

19. Penney says:

how wonderful and exciting for this woman and her family! For her to be able to communicate like this is on healthy, and so important.
    x
    hugs,
    Penney

20. Tina Tarnoff says:

This is why I like it here so much! Interaction, communication, appreciation:), making the world smaller and friendlier.
    xox

21. Michelle Melski says:

Who needs a room of one’s own when we can have a webpage of our own! The world is growing up!

22. pinklotus says:

wow! thanks for introducing Shokoofeh to us! I love her blog as much as I love yours! Thanks again!

23. SHOKOOFEH says:

Oh my God!!!!

I’m absolutely shocked!!!! … how can I say what I am feeling now… let me think for a moment…

{shocked}{surprised}{blessed}{flying high}{can’t explain}{thankful}{so happy}!? and lots of more wonderful feelings!!!!
    You made my day Tina! you really did!
    thank you so much for dedicating the whole post to me! It was really nice, you brought me a lot of nice people with their nice and lovely notes and comments!!!

I really appreciate it Tina!!!

and thanks to everyone for visiting my blog. I’m so glad that many of you liked it! I’m so happy , so so happy to have great “friends” like you guys!!!

xo

24. Clumsy says:

Hi Shokoofeh… Salaam Khoobi.

Love your blog and the life you are sharing with us.

*****************

Tina, how’s this for a coincidence… just last week I was going through facebook groups, looking at how many Noam Chomsky related groups there are (around 40+) and noticed a single one that seemed negative. I contacted the founder and it turned out to be a Physician in Tehran who has doubts about Chomsky’s motivation. His english was not too good, but I think we at least taught each other a little something in the exchange.

25. The Cottage Cheese says:

Tina, thank you for introducing me to a beautiful new blog to follow!

26. Penney says:

Such a lovely woman!!! How great to bring us all together Tina! Thank you..
    Penney