May 04, 2009

Eden
eden
My climbing rosebush Eden is in full bloom, like a bouquet outside the front door. Eden is one of the French “Romanticas” roses, recently hybridized in France. Unlike the roses of David Austin, the Romanticas are generally unscented. Still they are dazzlingly beautiful.

I started growing roses about ten years ago and now have more that 50 varieties in our garden. For inspiration, I love to visit the rose garden at the Huntington Gardens in San Marino. The David Austin roses there grow so large that they could swallow an entire house whole.

(Here’s an earlier post on the first rose of the season.)

PS: My dad is doing much better! We hope to have him home from the hospital in a few days! xoxox

This entry was posted on Monday, May 4th, 2009 at 1:09 am. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

36 Responses to “Roses”

1. Laura Trevey says:

I adore roses. They have such graceful beauty… I need to paint some that are out in out garden now. The first wave of blooms are always the best!!

2. The Cottage Cheese says:

Oh Tina, your roses are gorgeous! I cannot believe you have 50 varieties. Your garden must be as beautiful as an arboretum!

How is your Dad?

3. Brian Miller says:

nice roses. beautiful.

4. willow says:

Oh-oh-oh~! I have Eden roses, too, and they look just like yours. (Mine aren’t bloomed yet out here in Ohio, though.) They are my favorite roses on earth. Just fabulous.

5. Amy says:

what lovely roses! I was in London recently, and they have a beautiful rose garden in regents park, but it sounds like you have just as much variety!

6. suzette says:

oh how pretty!
    reminds me of my best friend in preschool’s house. the sky was always so blue there.

7. The Wanderers' Daughter says:

Wow, I’m so impressed! Those are gorgeous…full and blousy like peonies. Woman, I don’t know where you get your energy! You’re a wonder.

Our roses won’t bloom until later in the summer, but Denver is a surprisingly good climate for roses. Mine all came with the house and seem to require no attention whatsoever from me (besides the occasional hacking, since they grow like weeds) which is lucky, since I know next to nothing about gardening.

8. Tina Tarnoff says:

Your roses are so beautiful, Tina! You have a magical touch.
    xoxo

9. LENORENEVERMORE says:

LOVEliness!
    Hope your dad is doing better & better each day darling… ~XO* as always!

10. Tina says:

Oh thank you! my dad is doing much better. We hope to have him home from the hospital in a few days!

11. Jen says:

Glad to hear your dad is doing better.
    Home in time to see the roses.Super
    Love the pictures and I do adore roses in bloom, with or without scent. Would love to see more of all the variety in your garden. So do you have a sundial ? “count the sunny hours”

12. Sanctum's Muse says:

I also love roses. My rose bush bloomed a couple of weeks ago, but now the blooms are shriveling in this South Carolina heat! It seems beauty is always fleeting. *Sigh*

13. Federica says:

Those roses are soooo beautiful! Congrats!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Federica

14. Sophie Isobel Designs says:

So glad to hear your dad doing better. I am just in love with those amazing roses. They are so inspiring. They have indeed made my day.
    Sophie xx

15. THE PARIS HOUSE says:

Oh Tina these are beautiful!! I have never heard of Eden roses, I must add them to our garden. I just ordered climbers for our arbors. But these are spectacular!!

16. Sarah says:

50 varieties?! More pictures please! Sadly, I’m allergic to roses (booooo) but I’m not allergic to pictures of them! (yay!)

These are absolutely gorgeous Tina!! Thank you for posting them. They made my morning, along with the good news about your Dad. What a relief!

17. thischicksgotstyle says:

Wow these pictures are amazing!!
    And I hope your dad is well soon.
    Very nice blog you have!

x!

18. McCall says:

hope you have your father home and well sooon 🙂 your blog is so so lovely!!

19. Joanna Goddard says:

so beautiful!!! and i’m so impressed that you grow roses. and i’m happy to hear that your dad is feeling better. xoxo joanna

20. Charlotte says:

With those magical roses around your door, everyone must feel as if they’re entering an enchanted cottage. What a lovely welcome!

21. TheBeautyFile says:

Wow. These roses are so magical…homemade roses are simply lovely!

22. naomi megan. says:

these roses are beautiful. as is your blog. can’t believe you grow them! i want a rose garden someday…

23. avant garde says:

i have to say i no next to nothing about raising flowers but those are stunning. they look like a cross between a large english rose and a peoni. if that makes sense? glad to hear your dad is doing better, mine will be up for a visit to cape cod from tennessee this month. can’t wait!

24. farmhouse wares says:

I’m glad to hear you Dad is doing better.

25. Mrs.French says:

so, so, so beautiful..I love everything about these…xo t

26. Laura [What I Like] says:

Oh you are killing me with these beautiful photos! I grew up with a large garden and tons of roses but now live in a cement jungle. I miss having outdoor space this time of year!

27. Alina says:

you’re photos are all beautiful, can I ask how they all have that lovely vintage grainy look to them?

28. giulia says:

Bella. Grew up with these…a nice memory…no garden here. Go thru DA catalogues, amongst others & think, maybe someday, again. Glad about your papa. xo svs/gg

29. Kirti says:

These are beautiful…wish I had a greener thumb! Also, I like how your pics look vintage…is it a secret or can you share?

30. Tina says:

Hello,
    Thank you!! The pictures were taken with a Polaroid Sun 660, which contributes to the vintage look…

31. Anna says:

Ah, a gardener as well, beautiful! If you ever get a chance and want to see a bit of dark photgraphic ghostiness, I have another blog I write for from time to time. It is the work of photographer Corey Schjoth:
    phantasmagoriaphoto.blogspot.com

Take a peek!

32. Lorna says:

I love roses when they are blooming, but oh lord, when they are not the trees or bushes look like such sad little scarecrows. Being from Hawaii, I am used to thick deep green all year and bright colors every day,

Roses are beautiful, and those that you have in your picture are something I would want…. but I am picturing when they are out of season.

What does that look like? Am I being negative? Not meaning to be!!!
    ~Lorna

33. Tina says:

they look like sticks out of season…it’s a tradeoff!

34. P. says:

These are insanely gorgeous – FIFTY VARIETIES! I am so jealous! How wonderful they must be.

So glad to hear your dad is on the mend.

35. - Renée - says:

Lovely roses 🙂

36. Alina says:

Thank you Tina!! They’re truly lovely pictures!!

All content © 2016 by English Muse