Jun 25, 2009

erez-8

Bonhams just recently closed its auction for some very interesting Marilyn Monroe memorabilia. Some of the items — and the price they fetched — might surprise you. Have a look:

erez-7

A group of never-before-seen black and white snapshots from Korea, 1954
Sold for $2,196

erez-1
A receipt for a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne
Sold for $397

erez-6
Another pair of rare black and white photographs by Andre de Dienes
Sold for $366

erez-4
And a set of documents relating to Monroe’s purchase of her Brentwood home, 1962
Sold for $488

The Beaton portrait is my favorite and worth far more than the winning bid, I think…

There’s more Marilyn memorabilia at Bonhams.com.

I wonder who walked away with the Dom receipt!

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 25th, 2009 at 2:43 am. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

24 Responses to “The Price of Marilyn Monroe Memorabilia”

1. Lit and Life says:

That Cecil Beaton photo is stunning! I think things sold for pretty reasonable prices (as memorabilia goes). $150 to have her done done was a ton of money back then–that's a lot now even!

2. JAQ says:

of coarse everything here is amazing. the Cecil Beaton photo takes the cake.

3. orange sugar home says:

fascinating post. yeah, the Beaton photo gets my vote as well. she was so lovely.

4. Tina Tarnoff says:

I expected much higher bids! I love all of it, and wish I could have been the one who bought the Dom receipt! Or that Cecil photo. She's lovely, that's all I have to say. I love you Marilyn! (I guess I had more to say:)

5. LENORENEVERMORE says:

Honestly, I would pay higher for the photograph by Cecil Beaton…adore the visual, plus sepia-LUV!!!
    ~XO*

6. Geisslein says:

she was such a beauty!!!

7. ♥Simply Seductive says:

Amazing post… I can't believe there are still "never seen before" items of Marilyn… lovely, thanks!

All the best,

8. tash says:

Rather tempting (affordable ) aren't they……the baht shots are my fave……

9. Rebecca says:

amazing!

10. caroline @ patagonia gifts says:

stunning finds! there is so much mystery and adoration around her!

11. Alicia says:

Everything about her is fascinating and impressive, but so is he notion of getting a case of Dom for $166. . .Ah, the good old days.

12. avant garde says:

somethings and some people are timeless, marilyn certainly seems to be one of them. if i could have picked up any of those items i probably would have wanted the cecil beaton sepia photo or the tub photos, those are very improv and relaxed. but i'd put the tub photos somewhere fun like the dining room on a wall, something like that. :)

13. Ali says:

Hm…I agree, these pieces do seem that they should've fetched more than they did. Just a reflection of our horrible economy right now, I guess.

Thanks for posting these! I am so in love with her.

14. Shaddy says:

The Beaton photo is my favorite too. It's breathtaking.

15. Moon Face says:

I love her! Absolutely timeless. Thanks for the post…seeing those rare photos was really intriguing.

16. Jen @ GreetQ.com says:

What a great post. I'm surprised the prices are so reasonable. I would have liked to have the champagne receipt too!

17. Jessica Fox says:

Thank you so much for posting these! She is so lovely and fascinating, its hard to believe there were never before seen images!

18. Des says:

This reminds me of the film, "Wonderboys" with Michael Douglas and Tobey Maguire. Tobey Maguire's character was obsessed with a piece of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia.

19. Nicola says:

Gorgeous Photos – Love the tub shots they're so relaxed….

20. ambika says:

Wow, what amazing photographs. If anything, I'm surprised they didn't get more for them.

It's crazy how they even still had their plane tickets. I certainly don't save those things!

21. Lisa says:

Those black/white photos are beautiful!! Funny to see the different prices reflected in the receipts. The second photo is my favorite!

22. SparkerShop says:

Some great stuff… I think I'd choose the bath photographs or the receipt for the Dom.

I just did a write up on my blog about the Marilyn auction happening this weekend – there are some great furniture and decor items purchased in Mexico. My favorite are the stools with tasseled cushions.

23. Angela says:

My grandmother has some original pictures of her from Korea. One of the pictures is a close up of her and my grandfather at the wheel of a military jeep (he was a soldier and one of her drivers). Dunno if it would be worth anything since it is not a picture of her alone. They are kind of nice to look at though :o)

24. karen says:

I love your photos and info, may I link to your site or use your pics of the items, not for sale, just info. where did you get the pics?

All content © 2014 by The English Muse