Feb 15, 2010

We were not planning to get a new dog so soon after losing Murphy. We weren’t even looking. But the other day, while I was at the flea market, a woman walked past with three black Pomeranian puppies in a stroller. They were the first litter of her pet Pom, and she was looking for good homes for them. My heart melted for the smallest one, a girl. She looked like a little black bear!

I hate to think that I’m disrespecting Murphy’s memory by not waiting longer. I miss him everyday. But I also wanted a chance to give a home to another sweet dog.

And so, my dears, I would like to introduce to you our new baby Pom cutie, Lola. We’re all madly in love with her. (She’s coming to San Francisco with us!) My 11-year-old daughter, Isabella, made this video capturing the slightly mischievous side of our little dog. Let me know what you think!

Also, I want to ask you: Do you think pets pick us, instead of the other way around? There always seems to be a lot of serendipity at work in this, one of life’s strongest matters of the heart.

PS: THE WINNER OF THE PAINTED BOX IS Kim O’Brien, of K. O’Brien Jewelry. Congratulations Kim!

This entry was posted on Monday, February 15th, 2010 at 9:18 am. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

40 Responses to “Pet Serendipity”

1. Karolin says:

I do not think that it is disrespecting to get a new dog when the one you loved and owned for years leave the life on earth. Many people I know get a new one almost right away, both to make the loss easier and in honour of their first one.

And I definitely think that the dog choose you and not the other way around, I know that mine did, I really had no plan to get another dog, but there she was and I couldn't say no.

2. Geisslein says:

oh my god! I have fallen in love now….SHE IS SOOOOO CUUUUTE!

3. Concrete Jungle says:

I want one! So lovely it is good for the souls of all…I think Murphy will be happy the Love doesn't go to waste!

4. orange sparrow says:

so very cute!

I do believe dogs pick us… when I went to the breeder to get my dog, I was surrounded by the warm, fuzzy bodies… most were running around like puppies do, but one little girl sat next to me the entire time… and she's the one I went home with!! I always say she picked me instead of me picking her.

5. Laura Trevey says:

How cute is that!!!

6. Brandi says:

I think the best way to honor a pet is by not holding back that love you could give to another puppy. Lola is absolutely adorable. You'll never forget Murphy or stop loving him, but I'm sure Lola will help you heal a little bit faster.

7. Hartwood Roses says:

As silly as it sounds to say it out loud, I truly believe that our pets find us … though we may try to resist it, we must listen to that little voice in our gut when it tells us it's time to accept another pet into our family.

I had my own Murphy … a rescue Labrador that I still mourn, though he's been gone for 10 years. He has a part of my heart forever. We now share our life with two rescued greyhounds and two adopted cats, all of whom came to us at a time when we needed them.

Lola is lucky to have found you, and she will be a fine addition to your family. Congratulations.
    … Connie

8. Tonia says:

No, they definitley pick us, for better or worse!

Excellent video: nice to hear Evan Dando's greatest work again!

9. jamaica byles says:

Congratulations Tina.Nothing like a new adorable pet to raise your spirits! I'm with the responses above….they definitely pick us.Mine did…..

10. Simply Luxurious says:

Congratulations on your new member of your family.
    As far as pets choosing us, I can definitely see that. My English cocker came up and sat on my shoes as I walked in the door. I knew he was the one and he has been my fiercely loyal boy to this day.

11. mkendall says:

aww, so cute! congratulations! I do think pets choose you sometimes. When my husband and I were considering getting a second dog, I was on the fence, worried about extra costs, will they get along, etc.

We looked several places and then went back to this one animal shelter and in the very last cage we saw this adorable gray and black puppy shaking like she was so scared. We took her out to play with her and she held onto my husband and hugged him so tight we had to get her! She and our other dog are best friends now. People always comment on how they've never seen two dogs interact so well together. It was meant to be.

12. caroline @ patagonia gifts says:

she's so cute! loved the video!

13. Giulia says:

Wonderful! Julie the Cat watched the whole thing, intensely interested & wondering why she doesn't have her own video yet. Isabella did a terrific job. Very cute & funny.

Pets often find us, for sure. You're not disrespecting Murphy's memory at all…honoring him, I should think. Taking in a pup in need of a home. So cute. And Isabella is looking great, too. All of you have a great time in SF.

xoxo

Susan & GG

14. LENORENEVERMORE says:

Welcome to your new home-sweet-home Lola~ cute name as it should be!
    *hugs*

15. sngz says:

Adorable puppy – she has the cutest hops/jumps.

I think pets definitely choose the owner – when I think back on my pets who have passed away, I just can't imagine life without them or even see them with another family. And the mutual love that exists in a pet/owner relationship is just unbelievable. It's great.

But then I think of pets who are abandoned or abused and my heart breaks and my mind doubts.

16. Ali says:

Hi Lola! You are one lucky little bear-dog. :)

17. Michelle says:

You are not disrespecting Murphy at all!! How wonderful that you have fallen in love with another pup and hopefully it will mend your heart a little. Congrats!

18. Ms. B @ Millie Deel says:

Oh my goodness, that's more cuteness than I can stand! Simply precious!!

They say that they only way you can heal from an animal passing is to get another one. I know with my Jack (American Bobtail) kitty that passed when I was 19, I had to get more pets to help me heal, and I ended up with 4 kitties!! They will never replace him but they have helped me heal!

19. Pia K says:

what a precious little furbaby! adorable and like a mix of a bear and a persian kitten:)

i think both cats and dogs and their owners find eachother, liking happens and there's a match. when i sell my kittens i most always find it very intriguing who will fall for eachother, the shy kitten suddenly being very friendly and playful with a certain prospective buyer etc.

and i have just made a note of getting a t-shirt like your daughters, that sentiment is so true:)

20. Elizabeth says:

Isabella did such a great job with this beyond-cute video! Lola is almost too cute, lucky :)

21. missb@dragonflyvintage says:

oh, she IS a naughty little cub, isn't she?? but SUCH a delight to watch! i can only imagine how cuddly she must be when she finally tires herself out! i think there's no disrespect in getting a new pet when you lose one…they're all totally different. you're not *replacing* murphy, u could never do that. you're merely adding a new jewel to your family….

good wishes and many sweet puppy kisses!

22. Red Lipstick Style says:

adorable! I don't think it is disrespectful to the memory of the precious one you have lost to adopt another animal, if anything you are honoring their memory because so many animals need homes and you are showing the world how much you love them.

What a kind hearted person you are to give this angel a home!

23. Robin says:

what an adorable new addition to your family!

i think that pets find us. my childhood dog (who we had from the time i was 3 until i was 16!) was sitting in a basket all alone with a big blue ribbon on and a sign that said free. my mother took one look at his fuzzy little self and home he came to her two young kids. even though i'm an adult now, whenever i see a dog that does something to remind me of him, i still miss him- that part doesn't go away.

24. jennifer says:

i've had a similar experience. what else could you do??
    cute vid!

25. k.o'brien jewelry says:

YAY!!!!! I won the box from my beloved Paris!!!! I am so excited!!
    I wasn't able to pick my puppy from the breeder whom I was lucky enough to get my lady from. She had me write an essay of sorts describing my personality, hobbies and passions. Callie Rose was given a personality test (mind you she was four weeks old) and she was matched to me. When I went to meet her I picked her up and gave her lots of hugs. I put her back to say bye to her siblings and went to sign paperwork. When I came back she ran to the wall of the pen and licked me. I don't know who choose who but it is love.

26. Carrie Miller says:

I think that in their way pets pick us. We were devastated by the loss of our Mesa, but we were determined to save another dog in her memory. When we saw our Bentley, Jack Russell Terrorist, sitting in his kennel at the county facility, we knew he was the one. He picked us, sitting so solemnly, head tilted, not making a sound while all around him was utter mayhem. We are the lucky ones!

27. hawthorne girl says:

i absolutely think pets find their way to us. i had no intention of getting a dog and one random day googled boston terriers, found one that said free (was a dog intended for breeding that has a health issue). next you know i brought little lucie home with me and i've never looked back. Congratulations on your new baby!

28. Brittany says:

she is absolutely adorable! i think it's totally fine to get another dog. you're not replacing him. just adding another member to the family. and yes, dogs pick their owners. i have two chinese crested powderpuffs. (not the hairless ones…those are drowned rats..) and i saw them on the breeders website. (they're from another state.) anyway, they both jumped out at me. i knew i had to have them. i got them at different times but felt the connection to both. even on the internet! they are both the most perfect little dogs for me. congratulations again on such a new beauty!

29. celebrittany says:

oh my goodness!! sweet little poms hold a special place in my heart.. especially the black ones! i have a black pom, minnie, and she's 2 years old now [can't believe it]! she looked just like that when she was a baby.. teeny bear cub. i don't know what i would ever do without her. we were definitely meant to be together! congratulations on little lola! you will have so much fun!

30. Chrissie says:

Awwwww…
    That was such a cute video, not to mention Lola. I think I'm in love…

31. Lisa says:

So adorable. Our pets do choose us. My mom always said that they come into your life when you need them. Many years ago she went to the pet store for dog food and came home with the cutest rescue just months before our lovely German Shepherd died. As my mom was leaving the store someone else came back to get him! You can't hesitate if it's right (though I always did feel kind of bad for the person who came back)!

32. Destination Inspiration says:

Tina, she's adorbs! Lola, love the name. I'm sure Murphy would be happy that you are all happy and smiling once more! I Love the sock thing, you know our jack russell + terrior does the same wrestling/tug of war too! But usually with his squeeky bone toy. Tell me, does Lola growl like a big dog when you do the sock tug of war? Because our Banjo growls so much and he's only little. It's too funny

33. Anonymous says:

completely agree with all that has been said about how much this honors what the love you and murphy gave one another. as to lola…I rarely consider larceny but have it firmly in my head now. If you decide she is too much for you (hah!) put her in a floral or striped, or better still, floral and striped, pretty box with some excellent treats…and send her to me. she is too cute. dana

34. Amy says:

Lola is so cute!!! Congratulations!

I definitely think pets find us. The two cats I have had, have both walked up right up to my door. Of course I think Augustus, my current cat, was drawn by the smell of hot dogs on the grill but, that was 7 years ago.

35. Cassandra Marie says:

Pomeranians are one of my favorite kinds of dogs! So effing cute!

36. DailyDivaDish says:

That was a darling video. Thanks so much for sharing! I don't think you're disrespecting the memory of you previous pet at all. You have lots of love to give…and why wouldn't you give it to this lucky new puppy?

My best to you and this newest member of your family. (And you're right-she looks like a precious little black bear.)
    XO Piper

37. katrina says:

omg. that black pom is so cute, it's driving me crazy.

38. Fidgeting Gidget says:

I don't think it's disrespectful or slighting the loss of Murphy at all to get another dog….that's a huge hole in your life that needed to be filled!

And I believe whole-heartedly that our pets choose us. I had been looking at dogs for a really long time online, and when I saw my little Delilah's smooshed up Boston Terrier face, I knew she was the one. :)

Lola is adorable, enjoy her! :)

39. Jessie says:

Love the video! Isabella did a great job — she definitely has an artistic eye. The dog adorable as well :)

40. denise, the prime magpie says:

It's never disrespectful to always keep an open heart that is generous with love. Dogs are that way by nature, so it honors them when we can try to do the same. I think our dog chose us — she was a stray running around my boyfriend's office parking lot. We weren't planning on getting a dog right then and there, but now I can't imagine a life without her.