May 19, 2010

Hello my dears, it’s Tina here. I wanted to check in and give you an update on my dad, who is fighting leukemia in the hospital at the moment. For the past week, we’ve been keeping vigil at his bedside, watching helplessly as his body wages a war against a growing army of white blood cells. A week ago, his white cell count was 23,000 — twice the normal rate. Today it topped 140,000, mixed with “blast” cancer cells. His hands and arms are covered with bruises. He stopped eating days ago, despite my mom’s delivery of home-cooked food.

Yesterday, the hematologist gently asked him to open his eyes.
“Mr. Daunt, can you tell me what I look like?”
My father lifted his head, opened his blue eyes and answered: “You’re a handsome man.”

This horrible disease will inevitably rob him of his life but it has not yet stolen his sense of humor. And because of this I have hope…

Photo above by Dicky Jiang

Important PS: I am so grateful to the Liss, LenoreNeverMore and the other guest bloggers who have kept English Muse going. And thank you for reading. Love you. T.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 at 4:09 am. It is filed under love & loss. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

35 Responses to “White Cells & Blast Cells”

1. Len♥reNeverM♥re says:

Darling, you dad's answer is adorable! Continue to have hope Tina!
    We are all here for support!
    HUGs*

2. J*marie says:

I'll be sending prayers your way!! I know how that is, both of my grandparents battled cancer.
    Have faith!
    ((HUGS))

3. The Drifter and the Gypsy says:

Yes, we are all here for support! I'm happy to see that your father still continues to have a sense of humor while enduring his hardships.

xo

4. GinaTricoteur says:

All my sympathy..It's a terrible time :( Your dad sounds lovely…
    Keep strong x

5. TERI REES WANG says:

I have absolutely no idea why these transition times need be so slow and painful but, I do know we each arrive at our very own "Grand Graduation Day" soon enough, and that in itself is an accomplishment.

Cheers, to a loving man and a life of many moments well explored.

6. Chelsea says:

sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

7. Frau says:

Prayers and positive healing thoughts coming your way. I hope your Dad is doing better. ((Hugs))

8. Ade says:

All the best to you and your family.

9. Artpixie says:

This is really sad :( I really do wish the best for you and your family. P.S you have a beautiful blog.

10. Farah says:

All the best for you and your family Tina. HUGS

11. nath says:

i'm so sorry to hear that your pa is battling such a horrible illness, but to do it with humour is quite something. go Mister Daunt! ( my aunt is waging her own battle against cancer as i type) i send lots of positive be well thoughts your way.

12. 'lexie says:

keep strong, i'm sure you hvae loads of wonderful family and friends to support you through this. as well as all your followers! x

13. kelly ann says:

oh, tina. i am sending you and your dad and your family all the love and prayers and positivity and hope that i can… you are not alone. we're all here supporting you and i hope you can feel that. stay strong. <3

14. Tonia says:

What a wonderful thing to hear him say in the midst of everything else he's dealing with. Thoughts and bloggy support with you

15. Brian Miller says:

got tears in my eyes and a smile on my face…

16. Kristin Hjellegjerde says:

What a beautiful story in the middle of such sadness. Wishing you and your family luck and love!

17. TeamMcDonough says:

♥ Hugs to you and your family…

18. Anne Perry says:

All my best to you and your family.

19. Elle says:

There are no words… I am just so sorry… hugs!

20. 'odd and old' Linda Dacey says:

I have friends whose daughter, who is only 28, is also battling with incurable cancer. I worry for them all having seen my Mum also suffer this horrid illness. In the end we all have to move on and perhaps upwards? Why should some people have to suffer so? Your Dad, like my friends' daughter is amazing. People like them inspire us all… Be strong and safe, Linda

21. mochalove.net says:

My prayers go out to you and so does my love. I've had family with cancer before so I can empathize greatly. A sense of humor is the best thing to have at this time. I hope for the best for your family and your father.

22. Lori says:

Sending lots of positive vibes your way — my best to you and your family. Take care.

23. Jaime @ La vie...J'aime says:

So sorry to hear about your dad..my thoughts are with you and your family.

24. Penney says:

What a great way to share such sadness and hurt. We are lucky to you have you and your dad in our lives..He's adorable!
    Prayers,love and hugs..Penney

25. Sara says:

here is a big hug to you and all your loved ones.

26. caroline says:

I'm sorry anyone has to go through this. Your dad does sound lovely. Please take care.

27. Anastasia says:

keeping your dad in my prayers.

28. Jennifer says:

Tina, I have read Liss' later post and I am so very sorry that your father lost his battle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Fourteen years ago I watch my mother lose her fight with cancer after going through treatments that seemed almost as horrible as her disease. It would be trite to say that I know what you're going through, but I do have some idea. Be strong, and know that you have the support of your friends and family.

29. subversivehippy says:

Tina your post made me cry.
    So very tender.

30. Mademoiselle Frou-Frou says:

I just read your news on Facebook…I am so sorry for your loss. I really feel for you and wish you the best as you grieve. Your post here was so touching and sweet.
    xox alison

31. Dana says:

I work in a major cancer center and am privileged everyday to see how calmly or bravely or angrily or stoically people, and those who love them, fight for survival. Your Dad is just a classic example of someone who has retained his essential self during the worst of times. What a gift to you all from him, and I suspect this is simply one of many you've received over the years. Hope and peace to both of you.

32. Emma says:

Even though I've just read your recent news about your dad, I had to say I agree with Dana here – I was a nurse for many years and I saw many brave, strong people who took this horrible disease head on during their lowest time and I never failed to feel privileged for being there.

What a touching, lovely post.

Emma, Australia

33. Carey says:

Bless his heart, what a wonderful story. A personal detail about him to share.

Years ago after my husband went through his college graduation ceremony, he came right back to the hospital where my grandad was in his last hours. He sat by the bed and said, "Grandad, I just graduated from college, just got done with the ceremony." And Grandad dryly shot back without missing a beat, "Well now you're gonna have to get a job!" He was gone less than 12 hours later. He was still so much "himself." We miss him so much.

34. anna and the ring says:

Ice lollies and bonjella.

35. Shell says:

Still being able to make jokes is a good sign. I believe in miracles..I'm pulling for your dad.