Jun 18, 2010

Father’s Day is on Sunday and it will be my first without my dad. I’m sort of dreading it, actually. I told my mom I would cook. I haven’t decided on the menu yet, but I would like to honor my dad’s memory by making his favorite dessert: hot milk cake. I think he’d like that!

I’m also, finally, starting a container garden on our balcony. I’m determined to grow roses in pots!

Every milestone holiday marks a chance for a new beginning, I think.

Wishing you a lovely, lovely weekend, my dears. Thank you.

PS: The photo above is of my dad and me on my wedding day.

This entry was posted on Friday, June 18th, 2010 at 5:30 am. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

30 Responses to “Happy Father’s Day Weekend”

1. Simply Mel says:

What an incredibly love-filled image of you and your dad ~ happy memories such as these are what get us through the toughest of times. And looking on the 'brighter side of new beginnings' is also a perfect bridge between tears and smiles ~

2. Basht says:

that's a beautiful photo. i'm sending you lots of hugs and happy thoughts

3. Frau says:

You Dad is a cutie and his smile. I know it is hard, but being together as a family remembering him. Will bring him home in your heart.

4. Artpixie says:

Aww that photo is so sweet.

5. Tonia says:

Wishing you strength and a lovely day for sunday.

6. Len♥reNeverM♥re says:

Such joys in both your faces Tina!
    Keep the sweet memories alive~
    xo*

7. kimberj says:

I wish you loving, lovely people to share the wonderful memories of your dad with. I remember the last father's day with my dad (he had a brain tumor, swore we weren't his biological kids, and wouldn't see us) and the first without (spent the day poring over the pics he and mom left behind and laughed ourselves happy!).

8. Melissa Blake says:

I'll be thinking of you on Father's Day. My dad died in 2003 and Father's Day is always a bittersweet day for me! *hugs*

9. Kristin Hjellegjerde says:

Sorry about your dad!
    Have a lovely weekend!

10. Kelly says:

that is a lovely photo, tina!

i remember, after my nana passed away, how sad my mum was the following mother's day. i was sad for her. losing a parent, has to be one of the most difficult things to ever have to go through. i hope you'll be okay, and think of all the wonderfully happy thoughts!

11. Louis Duke says:

ah. this is so beautiful. and the photos is so lovely. i love that you are willing to share something so personal and intimate with all of us. you're really quite beautiful. stay strong in the coming days. it will be tough. but we all know you will get through it.

12. Penney says:

What a super photo of you both!
    Such joy in your eyes..
    Thanks for sharing this with us all..
    xo,
    Penney

13. Jaime @ La vie...J'aime says:

Beautiful photo…making his fave dessert is the perfect way to honor your dad.

14. Sundari says:

Loss is hard, it's like a shock all over again every so often, like the feeling when you think the step is shorter and you fall for a split second until you reach it.

15. TheBeautyFile says:

Tina, this photo is gorgeous. You both look so incredibly happy. You're such a stunning person inside and out. I know you will honor him well and keep him alive through wonderful memories.

xo

16. Jennifer says:

What a lovely photo of you and your father. I know that this holiday will be very difficult for you and your family. My first mothers' day after my mother died was very difficult; it seemed wrong that everyone was celebrating when I had lost someone so dear to me. The loss will always be there, means your father had a real impact on your life. But in time it will get a bit less painful, and your father's place in your heart and memory will always remain vast.

17. Bonasia says:

Hi I don't know you.
    I love your blog, and I just wanted to tell you that I understand. I lost my dad a couple years back, but I can still feel him all around me. I'm sorry for your loss.
    I hope your fathers day is filled with wonderful memories.

18. kelly ann says:

what a sweet photo. <3 i hope on father's day, you feel his presence so deeply throughout the day… and i hope all of the wonderful memories you had with him will come flooding back, and make you smile. :)

<3 xo

19. Carrie Miller says:

Beautiful photo! I know it's hard to think in terms of what you have lost, so think in terms of what you have. Look at the love in your father's eyes in the picture, you have that and will have it forever. I hope you have a wonderful day, give your mother extra special hugs.

20. Shokoofeh says:

Aw Tina you're so beautiful in your lovely wedding dress! :) And your father looks so happy.

Happy Father's Day to you, my dear! xo

21. The Lil Bee says:

What a beautiful photo! I am smiling from ear to ear…you can so tell how happy you both are. I know Father's Day is awful without your dad, but your honoring him by cooking his favorite dessert is a wonderful idea.

22. Miki's scrapbook says:

Preparing his favorite dessert is a nice way to honour him! ;-) Don't feel sad, it's just another day. I know it's a bit harder because the whole world seems to be reminding you of someone you used to love and is no longer here. It happends the same to me on mother's day, but we both know that you actually remember your day every single day. Just try to "celebrate" the day giving him the best gift he could get: a huge smile.

Tight hug!

23. roseleann says:

My first Father's Day without my Dad, too. We have such wonderful memories of our fathers and special family times…hold onto those memories tightly, and let them carry you through all the holidays and everydays ahead.

24. The Cottage Cheese says:

What a sweet picture of you and your Dad. I know you miss him terribly.

25. madeleine says:

What a gorgeous picture!!! So pretty.

stay classy,
    madeleine

26. Sarah Jane says:

what a lovely memory and picture of you two. i'm so sorry – it must be a tough first father's day to miss him. i completely understand as it's been a couple years for me, they are watching over us;) have a wonderful week. xo

27. Tina says:

thank you for your sweet comments! the day went ok. everyone liked the cake, which made me happy. my dad was very much with us!

28. Nancy says:

Tina, what a precious picture. It brought a smile to think of the memories this moment must evoke. (How long ago is this?) I wanna see a picture of this cake! Thanks for sharing it,
    Nancy

29. red ticking says:

so sorry to hear about your dad..a super big hug to you… xx pam

i love your blog…

30. sisters in black frocks says:

a very sweet dedication. i hope it went alright