Jun 04, 2010

Jean-Luc Godard’s iconic film Breathless is newly restored and back in theaters this month for a limited engagement!

Jean Seberg is the picture of 1960s Paris cool…

I love the glasses and the hat…

And, of course, the t-shirt…

It’s so hot here today in Los Angeles. Two hours in a cool theatre watching a fantastic French movie is my idea of weekend bliss!

IndieWIRE poses this question: Can a multi-decades old film be successful in theatrical release? What do you think?

PS: Rodarte is supposed to release a reproduction of the NY Herald Tribune t-shirt this month, but I’m still searching for it online…sigh.

This entry was posted on Friday, June 4th, 2010 at 5:34 am. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

18 Responses to “"The Yardstick of Celluloid Cool"”

1. Giulia says:

Yes, have been reading about re-release. Saw it first in France when I was 17. Perfect. I had that haircut, as well.

Um, it depends upon definition of success. It will be successful here in DC, NYC, LA, etc. If it goes to smaller towns, I think people would go. The problem is I hear folks want to see something but unless it's a college town, tough luck.

xoxo

Susan

2. Louis Duke says:

This is as lovely as everything you post on here Tina!

I hope you're doing well.

I know you're struggling at this time in your life, and I know I don't understand and nothing I say really helps, but you should know you have this entire community here to back you up. We are here for you.

I wish you luck with your journey.

Also, as far as the question, I honestly do not think that movies this old can be successful with re-releases.

3. Kristen says:

I would love to see this in theters. When I was in Florence Italy there was a beautiful movie theater that had a different Fellini Movie every night, and I went every night, and absolutely fell in love with older films. I also totally want that Herald Tribune shirt :)

~K

4. Kristin Hjellegjerde says:

I have seen Breathless twice and would see it again.
    A wonderful and poetic movie.

5. Jo says:

Aaaah, I love her style. Every time I see these photos I want to cut my hair! She looks so chic!!

6. Maggie May says:

i absolutely want that shirt!

7. Casee Marie says:

(I've been following your blog for a while but I've never commented, so hello!)

I didn't know about this re-release – I'm so excited! I only saw Breathless last year and I loved it. Rodarte creating a new version of the t-shirt would be the icing on the jazzy Parisian cake!

8. kelly ann says:

i absolutely ADORE this film. oh it's just so GOOD! i would love to see it on the big screen. i lovelovelove it – french films are magical!

9. found media.design says:

We've never seen the film before, but just by looking at the pictures, looks to be very interesting! Gorgeous blog you have!

x

10. Sonia Luna says:

One of my favourite movies ever! Let's hope it will be re-released in Ireland too … can't wait, even if I've seen it about 12.000 (or so) times!

11. L E A H says:

ooh, i gotta catch that one sometime!

12. Christine says:

One of my favorites. Every time I would go to re-releases of old films in NY the cinema would always be packed. And theirs always that extra excitement of seeing it for the first time in the cinema. I'm definitely looking forward to the t-shirt.

13. IsabellePilon says:

How happy your blog makes me! with its variety of subjects, its vibrant colors…makes me smile every time

mademoiselle isabelle

14. julialuckett says:

Great post! Wonderfully classic looking, clean and fresh.

Julia

15. Hermione says:

Oh, I love this film! Hope it finds a new crowd this time around.

16. hawthorne girl says:

i can't wait to see the re-release of breathless, it's one of my absolute favorites. i love the way jean seberg spoke french.

as far as the shirt goes, they are being offered at barneys for $125-$150.

17. reckless daughter says:

I saw the new print at the TMC Film Festival here in LA. It looked better than ever.

I made my own NYHT t-shirt a few years back but I might consider a Rodarte version ;)

18. TorontoVerve.: says:

I like this movie a lot. I really should check out this re-issue. And dare I say it? I really like the American remake, "Breathless", starring Richard Gere.