Jul 21, 2010

Hello Everyone,
I would like for you to meet the newest member of our family….
A very large, sweet cat…
photo-2.JPG
He was abandoned by his owner about six months ago and left to wander the streets. When my daughter and I saw him on Friday, he wasn’t looking so good. We put him in the car and took him straight to the vet, who fixed him up and then sent him home with us. We’re very happy to have him, but we’re having trouble deciding on a name!

Any suggestions?
photo-1.JPG

He’s the longest cat I’ve ever seen — nearly three feet long. At the moment, he’s really skinny, but he could top 18 pounds once he’s been properly stuffed with Fancy Feast. One of my friends suggested that he might be a Maine Coon — the most gigantic breed of house cat ever.

I don’t even want to tell you how many animals we now have living in our flat for fear our landlady might be reading this blog. But we have a few — and all of them are black. (Weird how it always turns out that way for me.)

This big lug of a cat with white paws was known around the neighborhood as “Shoes,” although Shoes doesn’t seem grand enough. Maybe Brando? Joe Kennedy? The Big Boss? (Imagine the jokes at the vet’s office…”The Big Boss needs his rabies shot…” etc…)

So…any ideas!?

Thank you!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 at 6:08 am. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

75 Responses to “Help Name This Cat…”

1. Kim says:

How about Blackie? There's an insoucisnt toughness to the name that I like for your tough guy …

2. pearl. says:

Ohh a maine coon! my friend has one and it is huge! its paws are so incredibly large.
    beautiful cat,
    Pearl xo

3. Jennifer says:

I also think he's a Maine Coon. He is gorgeous, congratulations. I like Brando. He needs a strong name with 'dignity' from the looks of him. Or something completely geeky like Roswell or something :-)

(I have to say I had a hamster named PaulNewman, so that is why I'd go with Brando)

4. Colleen's Imaginings says:

His white paws and black fur remind me of a piano. The name Keys popped in my head first, but I don't think that's right for a cat. Lol. BUT that did lead me to think that the name of some great composer or pianist could be really cute. I love naming animals extraordinary, unusual names. =)

Ludwig, to me, is adorable in it's unusualness. And of course it is a very grand name indeed. =)

Good luck! I'd be interested to hear some of your daughters suggestions as well, as you've shown us before she is a really creative girl herself!

Much Love!
    Colleen

5. Erin Wallace says:

Bootsy after superfly Bootsy Collins, or since he gonna be big – Babe Ruth, Al Capone, Or Big Poppa (in honor of Biggy Smallz). That's all I got.

6. Anne says:

He's beautiful! I'm so glad you decided to give him a home.

As he's so long and may become so large, what about Maximus, Max for short? (Or Maximillian, always a great name.)

7. Tonia says:

Oh I think Boots for this one: he looks like he'll be the one wearing them and telling all others what to do and when to get out of his way!
    Well done for taking him in: fingers crossed he doesn't end up the Biggest Cat Ever!

8. Ms Smart says:

Lincoln
    Marshall
    Rembrandt
    Pistachio
    Bridge

He looks lovely. May good fortune rain upon you and yours for your good deed of love.

9. Basht says:

atreyu. that's what he looks like to me anyway haha. brando is good too though

10. Erin Wallace says:

Oh, or Winston – Churchill was large in stature and personality, and it's a great cat name.

11. akka b. says:

Flip ;)

12. lauren may says:

oh his face is so sweet! i just want to hug him! he's so lucky to have found a loving family.

i like the name bridge, for some reason, that ms smart suggested.
    but brando is also very nice!

have fun playing!
    xx

13. Concrete Jungle says:

Can't wait to hear…lean to Brandon or Winston myself but perhaps that is sort of ancient history and your daughter can come up with something a little hipper!
    He looks beautiful.

14. Elizabeth says:

Winston, definitely.

15. Geisslein says:

Placido Domingo? Or Luciano Pavarotti? ;o) whatever – he is a really beautiful looking cat! how nice from you to give him a new home where he will be loved!!!

16. Carey says:

Just one look and I can see you've been blessed with the appearance of this magnificent cat. And bless you for taking him in.

There are already so many wonderful suggestions, but I can't resist throwing something out there too: Tuxedo, Stonewall, Alistair, Goliath, Samson. I like Brando too, especially when I think of Brando playing that excellent role in Don Juan di Marco. But then again I love the idea others have had about your daughter coming up with something!

17. Carmen says:

I like the name Tuxedo. My friend used to have a cat named Mr. Tux!

Other suggestions:
    Lucky
    Lebowski
    Mafioso (Mafi for short)
    Vincenzo (Vinny)
    Biggie
    King
    Yin-Yang
    Ink

18. Suzanne@threepeats says:

Aside from the obvious one Lucky (for having found a forever family), how about Papa Bear? or Dude (to stay with the Big Lebowski theme)? or Summit? I also like Tuxedo and Ink which have been mentioned by other commenters.

19. photogirl says:

'Friday'–since you daughter found him on, well, Friday

20. Kelli says:

I like Winston also, it seems to fit this cat quite perfectly.

21. Giulia says:

I see some folks beat me to it, but though he was a Tory (boo), Winston loved cats. And it's always fun to call out "Winnie!" (Yes, it will fit…)

Julie finds him most attractive, btw. Maine Coon…could be though they are usually tabby-types.

It is also Hemingway's birthday…you could check out the names on that website. I generally do not shill for Julie's blog but Giulia Geranium has post on that today.

ciao, Tina.

22. Alicia says:

I had a large black cat just like this guy. He was the sweetest! His name was licorice…I think that would fit your new fella pretty well!

23. 1948goa says:

I too believe he might be a Maine Coon. I had one, Bongo, and the structure of the body, head and hair were exactly the same.
    How does Belèe (handsome in my dialect from Como, Italy)) sound to you as his name ? It was the name of a beautiful and lucky cat I had who lived happily and peacefully died at the age of 17.
    Ciao
    Uccia

24. Shorty says:

How about Hoss? Or if you like sarcasm, you could call him Napoleon since he's quite the opposite of a little guy.

So glad you rescued a little critter. There are so many abandoned animals and I love it when some are able to find a better home.

25. Erzulimojo says:

I love the way he's got himself stretched out . . . like he's on a lounge chair. He needs a Hollywood name — Clark, Troy, Dashiell, something that suits his langorous glamour. And boy, what a lucky cat!
    (The second dweller of Italy to comment on this post!)
    Ciao from Napoli!

26. deniz @ analytic approach to style says:

he's definitely a Leonard for me!

27. Heather says:

I was thinking Boots or Bootsy as well – perhaps Mr. Boots as he has a more dignified air about him. What a handsome boy!

28. Maria S. says:

All the Maine Coon cats this New Englander has known have been Calico. . .We had a big black cat like this once, too, also a rescue. Doug was a true alley cat who simply appeared in our backyard in Brooklyn. In addition to being huge, he the biggest nose I've ever seen on a cat. This only contributed to his pugnacious looks. A true pussy cat with us, he was a terror outside: fighting other cats and actually scaring dogs. He was Doug, because we lived on Douglass Street. He retired and passed on here in Los Angeles in the grand tradition, one friend noted, of many a great New York mobsters.

29. kimberj says:

Wow… so many options. Well if he's got a big appetite you could go with Hoover, Dyson, or Kirby after the vacuums. There's always Einstein (cuz he's smart enough to let you rescue him) or Fletcher (just cuz its a cool name). Maybe Sinatra ("these Boots were made for walkin…") or Frey (more boots), Doc (doc martens), I don't think I'd go with UGG but hey who know??? Oh my I could go on and on Merrell (hiking) DG (dolce and Gabbana, Jimmy (Choo), Manny (Manolo), Mr. PIB (Puss In Boots)… What's Isabella think?

30. smalldog says:

Prince Charlie

31. Miki's scrapbook says:

Awe! What a cute and long cat! I LOVE cats! It was so sweet of you to rescue him and adopt him.

My suggestion is that you should name him "Dimitri". Shoes sounds too obvious and Socks … wasn't that Clinton's cat's name? Hehe. I say Dimitri because that's my cat's name, haha. He's black too and I named him after a character in a Czech movie. He was young boy who only wandered in the streets, owned a tiny apartment and made vodka with potatoes. His gf called him "Mitu"; that's a cute nickname for a cat isn't it?

By the way, if you still haven't checked this link, go take a look. It's so much fun (for cat lovers, anyway) http://catversushuman.blogspot.com/

Cheers from Buenos Aires!

Miki.

32. Mademoiselle Poirot says:

George…perfectly random, with no rhyme or reason to it, but he looks like a "George" to me, simple as that… Love from London x

33. Beatrix says:

He's precious! He looks like a Darcy or a Fitz to me… but that might just be because I've been reading much too much Austen lately :)

Give him a hug for me please! Ever since my beloved Marble-cat died last year, I've been feline-deprived.

He's a beautiful cat, and I'm sure he will have a great home with you!

34. Julia says:

My aunt has a Maine Coon named Oliver Julius, and he is the cutest thing ever. He's very photogenic, too: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs265.ash1/19258_842939400530_932027_47827428_1121268_n.jpg

It was really nice of you guys to save him! He looks really adorable.

35. jonas wunderman says:

i havent read through the comments, but has anyone said Mister Bigglesworth yet?

36. TheBeautyFile says:

Stretch? Prowler?

My dog's name is Parker, he looks like he could be a Parker too!

37. e.louise says:

I like Brando :) My dad has a cat that's part (or all, not sure)Maine Coon and he has the softest fur ever! He also loves water- he drinks running water from the faucet and loves laying on wet grass.

38. Amy says:

No real suggestions,just wanted to say thanks…always nice to know other people are out there rescuing (read picking up after other peoples messes)as well.

39. Zoë Yule says:

Oh, he looks so much like my Squiz, especially the eyebrow whiskers. She's all floof too – a real "Sylvester"! We call her Walrus sometimes, but it's not very dignified ;-) I've just visited the museum of photography in Lacock, UK, today, so my suggestion is directly related: Talbot, after William Henry Fox Talbot, who invented the photographic negative (in black and white!), and to whom we are indebted for all photographic processes since. Though I think Brando might have the popular vote ;-) Bless you for giving him a loving home – he looks like he already appreciates it!

40. Holly Knitlightly says:

Cute! I was going to say Boots, but if you don't like Shoes then I'm not sure if you'll like Boots! Haha.

41. Cassandra Marie says:

Lol Brando! Love it :) His little socks are too cute!

xo,
    Cassie
    (Moon Face)

42. Eli Fitzgerald says:

Cool blog!This one is not good!

43. roseleann says:

As soon as I saw him, he looked so soft…how about Velvet?

44. Daydream Lily says:

hehe your house sounds like mine, I usually play down how many pets I have when I apply for rental properties.

what about Picaso, or Bruno or Mr Rippley.

45. Birdie says:

Faust

46. Tina Tarnoff says:

Oh, he's just such a charmer. So great of you to adopt him, Tina! I agree that he needs a gangster name. How about Lucky Luciano? He sure is lucky to be welcomed into your family and he does look like a Luciano, a Sicilian gangster charmer. xoxo

47. Bri says:

I love the name Miloh [or however you prefer to spell it]. He's such a cutie!

48. Terri says:

He's adorable! Some great names have already been suggested… my favorite is Brando.

49. Design*ByProxy says:

I do see that a few others already posted the same name. But he really does seem like a Bootsy Collins to me!

50. katrina anne esguerra says:

I'D NAME HIM WILFREDO BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE A SUAVE AND CLASSY NAME. AND WHO WOULDN'T WANT A SUAVE AND CLASSY GENTLECAT.
    …..MAYBE EZRA WOULD ALSO BE A FINE AND DANDY NAME. EH?

51. cassaundra says:

I would name him Theo!

52. Victoria says:

Benji!

53. anna and the ring says:

Big boss = springsteen or bruce to me!

54. Ivy says:

I'm throwing in a few names – Lucky or Worthy, because he is definitely both of those(and so are you for finding him), and Baffo – Italian for whisker, for those beautiful white whiskers of his.
    Rescues are always the best. All 4 of my cats and my little dog were street orphans.
    Good on you for taking him in.

55. caroline says:

Congratulations, what a sweetie! Since he's so tall, maybe a basketball star's name like LeBron?

56. c. says:

Atticus Van Cattington. Atticus for short.

57. Victoria says:

no wait, if he's a big boss man cat I would name him Boris.

58. Dolly Mennace says:

Rowdy, from scrubs :)

59. thelayeredpancake says:

Gypsy, King Arthur, Mr.Darcy,

60. John says:

Name him noodle! After the character in the Gorillaz music video haha :D

61. Sue says:

he looks like a Sylvester to me….

62. CN says:

WOW. The Maine Coon you linked to is enormous! HA! My first cat, Shadow, was a Maine Coon and grew to 23lbs. He was huge and lovely.

Congrats on your new pet!

63. The Clever Pup says:

Mungo Jerry

64. Tina says:

Mungo Jerry!? haha…

65. Kimberly says:

Stretch! Or Mr. Darcy.(:

66. Kimberly says:

How about Stretch!

67. Yarnsnob says:

He looks like a Felix.

68. Catherine says:

Going with the "shoes" theme, what about Manolo or Jimmy?

He is beautiful and lucky to have found such a good home.

My sister always has black cats. I tend to get Siamese cats.

69. brandy.lee says:

I work with animals and he looks a lot like an Oscar we had come through. I always thought it was quite fitting to him and I thought the same thing seeing this guy!
    Good luck!
    bp

70. Trish Grantham says:

Rufus

71. Meander says:

I did the same thing when I first got my cat (only via facebook) – he ended up: Lord Allouiscious Burgleigh but we call him Alley Cat!

72. Psychedelicsister says:

He is just ever so handsome.
    Congrats on your new man and how lucky he is to have a wonderful new home.

73. The Lil Bee says:

I love that you took in this little sweet thing. I am such a sucker for animals, as well, and brought home our little Paco from Puerto Rico. I can't imagine my life without him now, as I'm sure you feel about all your little friends (however many there may be!!)

74. H. Gillham says:

Oh, I love that you adopted him too.
    I love the name you gave him…

I'm behind on your blog. I've been — I dunno — laxing.

Is that a word?

75. sisters in black frocks says:

your a good person, to take him in and take such good care

All content © 2014 by The English Muse