Oct 04, 2010

It’s my seasonal question…

a1ace8e515eb9bb126b8f73a27e8c0b412257d

At the moment I’m reading“>Ken Follett’s “Fall of Giants.” (It’s nearly 1,000 pages long. It could be my winter and spring reading too!)
In between: I’m studying James Beard’s On Bread. (One of my cousins recently gave me an awesome starter, renewing my quest to make the perfect loaf of bread.)

So what are you reading!?

Photo above by Allister Ann via Lomography.com.

(Some of your previous responses here on the EM reading list.)

This entry was posted on Monday, October 4th, 2010 at 6:35 pm. It is filed under Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

31 Responses to “What are you reading?”

1. thevoyageofv says:

I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (I know, I'm the last person in Sweden to read that book), and I was completely underwhelmed. I had much higher hopes, but I guess I can blame the hype for that one. I've since moved on to The Help. Much better already!

2. Señorita Andalucíana says:

Right now I'm reading "Hitchens-22", pretty interesting and thought provoking.

3. Suse says:

The Group by Mary McCarthy (1963). Now I understand why Mother was so distracted; she kept burning dinner while reading this captivating story – albeit a bit dated. And, Jon Meacham's Franklin and Winston, an "intimate" look at their complicated friendship especially during wartime.

4. Liv says:

I'm reading the first book in the "Narnia" series. Then I'm moving on to "Sarah's Quilt" by Nancy Tucker.

5. Hope says:

I just finished "The Moon and Sixpence" yesterday and started Freedoms!

6. Tonia says:

Just finished Simon Gray's Smoking Diaries, which I loved so much, I shall spend the rest of autumn and winter tracking down everything else he's written. Also flicking back to Dave Egger's What is the What but its not for the faint-hearted. May have to dig out some victorian gothic as the nights get longer too: the Woman in White just not the same in the summer!

7. TERI REES WANG says:

I have taken reading the entire series to date of the Sue Grafton's alphabet mystery-female-detective-retro..novels.
    And, yet for book club am supposed to be reading "A Scattered Life" by Karen McQuestion, and for my on-line Slow Readers book club, "The Abortion" a Romance by the late Height and Ashbury author Richard Brautigan.

An odd juggle for sure.

Cheers!

8. Mariah says:

I'm currently reading Never Let Me Go by Kasuo Ishguro. I figured I'd better get it finished so I could go see the movie. And it is AMAZING.

9. WrightStuff says:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova – nearly finished… in fact… I'm off now…

It's about Vlad the Impaler aka a certain Dracula!

Well, actually it's a chase novel across the globe searching for his grave to rescue a lost professor. Will they get there in time, avoiding the long toothed one on the way?

PS – Read it and you'll never look at librarians the same way again!

10. Maggie May says:

Just finished A Super Sad True Love Story- underwhelming

Reading: Perfume, The Blind Side and Choices and Consequences: What to do when your Teen is Drinking or Using Drugs

11. Giulia says:

I'm in re-reading mode this late summer/early autumn. Most of I. McEwan, Shirley Hazzard, much of Graham Greene. Barbara Kingsolver. Lots of poetry (not new except for magazines/journals arriving at home).

Reading-for-writing, if you will. But I have liked much of what people have listed so far, though, of course, not having read all. Freedom will have to wait, but glad to hear your mid-reading report.

(Oh, there is some new–I always have an Andrea Camillieri or Donna Leon mystery about. Sicily & Venice–I trade off locations.)

Cheers. I love people's answers…always a good way to be reminded of something one might've had in mind.

xo

12. missb@dragonflyvintage says:

I'm reading Rabbit, Run by John Updike. It's my first Updike. It took a long time to sort of draw me in…and I'm still a little underwhelmed. I was thinking I'd read the whole series. Now I'm not sure, though I'd like to get to the two Rabbit books for which he won Pulitzers. We'll see. This is actually the last book on my summer reading list…and I don't know what's next!

13. Karina says:

Reading the Infinite Infinite Jest, by the late and great David Foster Wallace. It's obtuse, depressing, nonsensical and yet one of the most enlightening works I've read! Everything a great novel should be..

14. Molly Jean says:

Mansfiel Park. Again.

15. The above fore-mentioned. says:

I am reading volume four in the penguin edition of Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past." Two more to go!

16. thelayeredpancake says:

i am reading three very different books.
    -the enchantress of florence, salman rushdie
    -shantaram, gregory david roberts
    -mrs dalloway, virginia woolf

so much reading, so little time.

17. Cathi says:

I am reading A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway! :)

18. Tina says:

Moveable Feast is my all time favorite!

19. allaboutg says:

I just bought eat.pray.love and Short Girls (http://www.amazon.com/Short-Girls-Bich-Minh-Nguyen/dp/0670020818) – the title intrigued me being a short girl myself :)

I've also got The Time Traveller's Wife on my bedside table

20. The Fake Hipster says:

Just finishing 100 Years of Solitude by Gabrial Garcia Marquez, then Blindness by Jose Saramago, Zelda by Nancy Milford, and Time and Again by Jack Finney!

21. Tina says:

Blindness is both dazzling and haunting…Saramago is brilliant — perhaps the only person on earth who could pull off writing a book with no punctuation…

22. Helen Ailsa says:

I'm reading the Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, it's captivating and wonderful

23. Tangy Tidbits (Tina Tang Team) says:

I am FINALLY jumping on the Stieg Larsson bandwagon because it came highly recommended girls at the office. Before that I was reading various Irvine Welsh and Chuck Palahniuk novels.

24. Ta says:

Currently reading Fitzgerald's This side of Paradise
    and The Bookkeeper of Kabul.
    And trying to finish the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

25. Rose says:

Mr Chartwell, well I've just finished, and now Highland Fling by Nancy Mitford

26. Joanna says:

I'm currently reading The Group. It's very Mad Men-esque and surprisingly modern. I'm loving it so far! Next up: something gothic and dark to pass the cold autumnal October nights.

27. Tiffany says:

I'm simultaneously reading the following:
    I Found This Funny (Judd Apatow's favorite pieces, compiled to benefit Dave Eggers' 826 National)

The Best Nonrequired Reading 2010

Twenty-Eight Artists and Two Saints by Joan Acocella

28. Breenuh says:

I'm currently reading Chocolat by Joanne Harris, while slowly glimpsing bits of Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

I was reading King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild (for the second time), but I left it on a plane recently. Luckily, my sister has a copy, which she will bring when she visits me soon!

I've also been reading an article or two in House and Philosophy: Everybody Lies here & there.

Thanks for this! I love seeing what everyone is reading!

29. Nicole says:

I am in the middle of reading "Cheerful Money" by Tad Friend. It's about the "last days of Wasp Splendor." Funny, poignant, intelligent…it's got it all…

30. Ta says:

I LOVED Freedom. LOVED IT. A friend and i read it aloud to each other while travelling. It was incredible.
    I'm going back through your book posts and looking to see what you've been reading!

31. dana bourne says: