Nov 16, 2010

After weeks of speculation, director Baz Luhrmann announced today that Carey Mulligan will play Daisy Buchanan in his adaptation of the Great Gatsby…

“I was privileged to explore the character with some of the world’s most talented actresses, each one bringing their own particular interpretation,” said Luhrmann, who also considered Blake Lively, Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Michelle Williams, Abbie Cornish
and Keira Knightley for the part.

“However, specific to this particular production of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel, I was thrilled to pick up the phone an hour ago to the young Oscar-nominated British actress Carey Mulligan and say to her: ‘Hello, Daisy Buchanan,’” said Luhrmann.

She’ll star opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie roles played in 1974
by Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.

What do you think of Carey in this role?

(Photos, above by Mikael Jansson for Interview Magazine.)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 16th, 2010 at 10:49 pm. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

19 Responses to “It’s official: Carey Mulligan will play Daisy”

1. Jennifer says:

I think I can see her as Daisy well before I can see DiCaprio as Gatsby!

2. Casee Marie says:

Aww, yay! I heard just yesterday that she was in consideration and I was so excited. It's nice to see the part going to someone a little fresher. I love Scarlett and Keira, et all, but I feel like they're routine choices. Carrie's charm is quite refreshing.

3. The Gourmet Traveller says:

Brilliant – I can't wait! She's a wonderful actress with such nuance… love her.

4. Giulia says:

As someone (forget her name) wrote in The Guardian yesterday: can't be done. I love Carey, et al.

GG cannot be filmed & I usually say, heck, film things but change them because you have to. Can't be done. I repeat. Many of us who have made Gatsby a big part of our lives, professionally & otherwise, know this & it's just going to be a disaster in terms of the novel.

Cheers.

5. Giulia says:

Here it is…by Sarah Churchwell. I'd spit it out but she does such a terrific job, why bother:)

6. Molly McGonigle says:

I'm so excited about it. I think she'll do a great job in this role!

7. Mary says:

I love it, and I agree that it probably won't be true to the novel, but as long as you accept that, I'm hoping for a good movie!

8. Isabelle Lafleche says:

Fantastic! Looking forward to this adaptation of one of my favorite novels.

9. My Dog-Eared Pages says:

I love her and think it's a brilliant decision. ; )

10. ☆Vale says:

I loved her in "An Education"…

11. Miss Milky says:

She's a wonderful actress, I like her…

12. Tonia says:

I agree with Jennifer: Mulligan great choice, diCaprio? Hmmm. But then I don't know who I would cast as Gatsby, he's so personal to everyone who reads and loves the book.

13. Dottie says:

she'll make a lovely daisy, can't wait!

ps. I found you through a facebook ad and I'm so happy i did. this is a brilliant blog — right up my street. consider me your newest follower.

xx
    Dottie

14. curious constellation says:

Oh wow, I'm so excited to see this. I think Carey will be brilliant!

15. kimberj says:

I think she'll be perfect! Although (yes I know I'm the only one…) but I think Anna Faris should have been considered. Believe it or not, the girl has serious acting chops and with those huge doe eyes could have been quite good.

16. Holly Anne says:

Crazy about her… I think she will do great. I can't wait to see this movie!

17. mandyface says:

I was JUST thinking the other day that I would love to see a new Great Gatsby film! Crazy awesome! I'm excited about the cast, and Baz Luhrmann, I mean come on, its going to be amazing!!

18. little augury says:

Gatsby will be very hard to make, witness 1974, though the costumes were gorgeous.There wasn't any there-there. I just posted on this pick and some thoughts about the potential for the film. I have to read the SC guardian post too. pgt

19. […] Carey Mulligan is in Sydney, Australia at the moment filming The Great Gatsby with Leonardo DiCaprio. This photo, from a screen test on the Baz Luhrmann remake of the classic film, is slowly starting to make the rounds. I think she looks amazing. I can’t wait to see her as Daisy. Luhrmann picked Mulligan for the part over a number of other A-list actress in Hollywood, including Natalie Portman. (Last time I wrote about this, some of you were unsure of DiCaprio as Gatsby…) […]