Nov 14, 2010

This is one of the joys and complexities of living with lots of books:  It seems there’s never enough space to store them.  So every nook in our house doubles as a bookshelf.

little libraries

This is a little snapshot of what our living room looks like in our flat!
(The girl in the photograph, above, is my daughter Isabella a few years back.)
Old stools find new life as tuffets and paperback props.
 (I should probably paint this one below, but I sort of like its rustic, workbench look)

Screen shot 2010-11-13 at 10.34.07 AM

I love that Cicero quote:
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 14th, 2010 at 8:27 am. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

18 Responses to “Little Libraries”

1. MMM says:

this blog is amazing and lovable!! keep going=)
    and have a look at
    XX
    MMM

2. La chica says:

love the first one!

3. Miki's scrapbook says:

Lovely little spaces! 🙂

4. gabriellecato says:

that is one of my favorite book quotes! here is another one!
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot

5. Giulia says:

I wondered if that's what your title meant…looks like my apt. I have a very elastic notion of what can be a "bookcase." Old dining room chairs serve well, too. Being sturdy & all. xo

6. Toronto Lovers says:

looove this so much

7. Hill House Ramblings says:

Oh, wonderful! I especially love the paint splattered bench and the lovely, vibrant pillow. And yes, I agree wholeheartedly with that quote.

H.H.

8. Jen says:

My book collection is definitely in need of a bigger home! Aside from 3 full bookcases in my living room, I also have about 10 boxes of books stashed in closets. That's not counting the boxes of books I'm storing at my parents' place!

9. Maggie May says:

that is my house too, exactly.

10. Liv says:

to avoid having a house "cluttered" with books i have to keep getting rid of them. it goes in cycles 🙂 now i try to limit myself to using the library when i feel like a good read.

11. Teresa says:

I love a ceramic bust. Reminds me of SNL.

12. alexkeller says:

oh, this is tough. we have books everywhere, too. but we're getting a lot of things electronically now. it's tough. i lost my Kindle [it's so great at the gym and for travel] so i'm putting an iPad on my wish list. i find that i love the smell of books more [does an iPad have a smell?] and i also can't read online magazines easily – i get impatient.
    i think my next step is to have a wall of shelves built just for the books – i can't see them now with all the vintage wares crammed in.

13. The Hausfrau says:

I certainly agree with Cicero, and I love all your little stacks and shelves! I have many, myself…

14. Len♥reNeverM♥re says:

I'm simply charmed by the arrangements darling!
    You can be a stylist or display merchandiser~

xo

15. Raji says:

I love how you've got books all over the place! Such cute and quirky storing places you've got!
    It's a nice feeling to never be far from a book

16. Melanie's Randomness says:

What a cute quote! I just told my mom it. I have too many books & SOOOOooo not enough space to put them.

Melanie's Randomness

17. notinthepink.com says:

I love your little nooks and crannies where you keep your books. My house is exactly like that. Books piled into corners here and there – I think it gives rooms a unique look. 🙂

~*~*~

Ceri

18. stacy says:

This is my Good luck that I found your post which is according to my search and topic, I think you are a great blogger, thanks for helping me outta my problem..
    Dissertation Writing Service