Jan 19, 2011

The Visitor #8 (158/365)
I found a copy of Michael Cunningham’s “By Nightfall” at my favorite secondhand bookstore the other day. I loved The Hours, so I’m looking forward to starting Cunningham’s new book tonight!

What are you reading?

(Very clever photo, above, from here.)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 at 7:03 pm. It is filed under Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

46 Responses to “What are you reading?”

1. Pamela Terry and Edward says:

Just finished Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker.
    A delight.

2. Hope says:

I immensely prefer the Hours over By Nightfall. I think in the case of Nightfall Cunningham really missed the mark creating real characters. I was also slightly annoyed to how many literary references he made, and how he describes New York.

3. Abby says:

Just finished The Art Instinct by Denis Dutton, in which he argues that art was created by evolutionary forces. Quite interesting.

But, oh, I have to be frank with my opinion: Cunningham is a talentless hack. Read the real stuff! Mrs. Dalloway, To the Lighthouse, etc. Much, much better than anything Cunningham could eke out.

4. Joanna says:

I just finished Sideways, the novel from which the film is based. It was really quite funny and entertaining. I recommend!

I've now just started Stacy Schiff's Cleopatra.

5. Mary says:

I just finished Solar, by Ian McEwan. I was entertained by it, and it kept me reading, but at the end I wasn't sure it was worth it. A bit disappointing, especially compared to some of his other books.

I adored The Hours too, and Nightfall is on my nightstand. I've heard it's not nearly as good, but I'll be giving it a shot soon. Interested to know if you enjoy it…

6. andrea says:

I'm reading the magic mountain, it's intense

7. Krissy says:

You'll have to let us know how you like By Nightfall. The Hours is one of my favourite books, and I've always been curious about Cunningham's other works.

8. notinthepink.com says:

I love that picture. :D Do let us know what you think of that book – I didn't really like The Hours too much but the film is one of my favourites.

I'm just about to finish off "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston – the guy who the film "127 Hours" was based on. Loving it. :D

~*~*~

Ceri

9. kirst says:

ooooh I'll have to nab a copy of The Hours its being so highly recommended, I'm reading Jon McGregor's "If Nobody Speaks of Unbearable Things" and really enjoying it…

10. I have a lot of nicknames, my favorite is Megs. says:

I just finished reading a YA novel called "Because I Am Furniture" I don't remember the author. It was written entirely in poetry. Next up is "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac.

11. Hannah B. says:

Oddly enough, I just finished "Are You a Jackie or a Marilyn" yesterday! I *love* that image!

12. CrowNology says:

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I am enjoying it very much.
    I liked The Hours too…
    xo
    Andrea

13. Kim says:

Wait for Me! The memoirs of Deborah Mitford (now the Dowager of Devonshire), by Deborah Mitford. I'm just a few pages in but am greatly enjoying her writing and her stories.

14. Amber says:

God I love second hand book shops. We have the best one a couple of villages away from me. It is called the Book Shed and it has so many cheap books and mags. Last week I staggered out of there and excitedly placed my 'new' books in my new bookshelves. I am reading'choosing eden' by adrianne langman. Inspiring book about a couple who move to the country to be self sufficient after freaking out about the peak oil situation. Love that marilyn book photo!

15. The above fore-mentioned. says:

A.S Byatt's "The Children's Book", it is an intriguing Edwardian world that you are drawn into, with a wonderfully idealistic family, but you know something under the surface is going to complicate things… A good read thus far.

16. Maria S. says:

Great House by Nicole Krauss. Like, don't love. As a fellow Angeleno, I'm curious: what is your second favorite used bookstore?

17. Giulia says:

Donna Leon's Friends in High Places. I'm feeling icky & need a Venice mystery. Perfetto.

xo

18. Casee Marie says:

I loved the film version of The Hours and bought the book, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. I'm currently reading Never Let Me Go by Kazou Ishiguro, but I've been working on it since the beginning of the month and I'm not very into it – keeping a blog takes up so much time, it's hard to find some proper reading moments that aren't at three o'clock in the morning! I miss reading.

19. Steve Gravano says:

A Charles Bukowski collection of short stories… don't ask me why.

20. Tina says:

It's called Read Books in Eagle Rock…here's the link:

21. Alina says:

i'm reading the catcher in the rye, i've never read it before and i'm really enjoying it : )

cheers,

22. Hausfrau says:

I'm finally about to start The Happiness Project, and I've also just bought The Slippery Year on my (new!) Kindle.

23. REread says:

I'm spending some quality time with Jay Gatsby … second time round. First time I was 14, I think I have a better grasp on the story now.

24. Pink Princess says:

HI! Currently reading the Cello Suites and its really good! How are you liking your Cunningham book so far?

25. Siri says:

Such a great picture! Love the neat camera.

26. Jessica says:

Reading Ayn Rand's 1,000,000-page "The Fountainhead." I'm half-way through and it's only now becoming mildly amusing. Teaching it to 17-year-olds in May. We'll see how that goes. I recommend: "Half-Broke Horses," or "The Help."

27. veronica isabelle says:

"vente, blinke" by Gunhild Øyehaug (fantastic and norwegian) and "Les amants de Spoutnik" by Haruki Murakami. Love them!

28. Suse says:

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant

29. SAMI. says:

um- that's nuts! I just started reading the hours and i LOVE it! i am a huge v. woolf fan. i don't know why i didn't read this sooner!

xo
    sami

30. J. Christina Huh says:

In the midst of "Apollo's Angels." It's a detailed history of ballet. Leave it to the French to use ballet as a power mechanism!

31. Molly McGonigle says:

I'm reading Brooklyn. I love it a lot. I wish I had more hours in the day to read.

32. Avid Reader says:

I loved The Hours as well. At the moment I'm reading I'd Know You Anywhere, which is good so far. I just finished David Copperfield and loved it.

33. Swiss says:

I'm in the middle of a marathon on Russian Classics. I cant believe i've waited this long. the best reading i've ever done!

34. littletoiloflove says:

I just finished The Kite Runner and I'm looking for something new to read–I might have to check out The Hours–of course, graduate school might get in the way.

35. Her name was Lola says:

Read David Nicholl's ONE DAY.

Could. not. put. it. down. xo Lola

36. Breenuh says:

I'm nearing the end of The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson. It's a lot better than the first book in his series.

37. Victoria says:

I'm reading 'The inheritance of loss' by Keiran Desai, it's beautiful!

38. B. Inspired. says:

Im reading magazines… Im a children's clothing designer, so constantly reading Vogue Bambini, MILK maagazine… hopefully, I will have time for a book soon;)

39. Alexandra Steinmetz - Champagne and Chiffon says:

Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman. I love his pop culture based non-fiction. I find he often writes everything I have been telling my friends about the current state of pop culture :)

40. TheBeautyFile says:

Once again, I am going to copy, cut and paste this list into an email so I may refer back to it when I need a good read! Right now, just reading baby books because the little one is so interesting to learn about….did you ever find any good books written about children (fiction?)

Also, T: I submitted my blog for refinery29's next style blogger contest and I wanted to see if you could vote for me {and/or possibly get the word out somehow?} I would be so incredibly appreciative…You have to click on the heart below my name and sign into Facebook.

{Lisi}

xoxo

41. marywithgarden says:

I am reading blogs! Since I am in school most of my reading is textbooks and trade mags. I am reading Environmental Science by Daniel Charis. And trying not to be too jealous of people reading other things….but books on CD I can do when I am working on graphic projects!

42. NRC says:

Hamlet for my English Literature and Language Alevel love it

43. Yvonne Anderson says:

Return To The Sacred by Jonathan Ellerby

44. Maureen says:

ooooh I remember The Hours being so good when I read it.

45. free google sms says:

LOve these and I'm going through the same kind of awe with our second time around!!! so exciting!
    CNA Jobs