Aug 10, 2011

studio
This is my first time asking this question here on my new template! I’m looking for new books to take on our trip to the lake. Any suggestions?

(Photo by Brooke Schmidt.)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 at 8:16 pm. It is filed under Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

43 Responses to “What are you reading?”

1. Pamela says:

I’m reading State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Really good.
    and every summer I always try to re-read My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell. The best vacation book!

2. Emma says:

I just finished reading “The Help” and just passed it to a friend. I love sharing books! Currently perusing “Expressive Photography” from Shutter Sisters for the umpteenth time! Love the pics, inspiration and tips. What are you reading? Love your blog BTW! – Em

• Tina says:

Thank you!! I’m reading “Everything Beautiful Began After” by Simon Van Booy. It’s wonderful. I just finished “Dracula in Love” by Karen Essex, also very good.

3. Molly says:

I just read Maine and Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan. She’s an amazing writer and deals with families, friends in such a beautiful way. I highly recommend both.

4. Liss says:

I havent been donig much reading lately, hopefulyl after this week I will have time. So I will have ot check back and see what everyone recommends.

5. vanessa joie says:

oh my gosh I LOVE the new layout/site. i just finished the elegance of the hedgehog and loved it. i’ve just started peace like a river. my all time favorite book is how green was my valley.

6. Tonia says:

Have just finished In The Blue House by Meaghan Deleaney: Trotsky, Frida Kahlo and an ensemble cast of characters relating their stories from that terrifying time. Really well-written and researched. She deserves to be better known.
    Now on The Last Cigarette by Simon Gray: a diary written by one of Britain’s best playwrights. A raw stream of conciousness that I almost physically have to pull myself out of.
    Just gave my daughter the original Dracula to read as an antidote to all these anodyne, ‘emotional’ vampires that are twonking about teenage fiction at the moment. Oh but they get on my nerves!
    Have a great trip!

• Tina says:

That’s so great that you gave your daughter the original Dracula. I can’t wait to hear what she thinks of it! I just pulled my copy out a few days ago to re-read. Dracula in Love was interesting because it was from Mina’s point of view. I really enjoyed it.

7. Kolbie says:

I’m a college student and just posted the reading list I will be taking with me! Check it out on my blog. kolbieanne-23.blogspot.com. I’m just finishing up Anna Karenina, but I found a book I thought looked really interesting called The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison.

8. Sally says:

Rebecca, Daphne Du Maurier… you won’t regret it!

9. Sally says:

Rebecca, Daphne Du Maurier.

You won’t regret it!

10. WEll, as an avid reader I would suggest:
    One Day by David Nicholls
    Wedding Officer by Anthony Capella
    Afterward by Rosamund Lipton
    Langauge of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (18th Aug UK release)
    The Best of Everything by Rhona Jaffe

Love the blog bythe way.
    Which platform are you on?
    STQ

11. Karolin says:

I really like the short stories written by Alice Munro, I think Too much happiness is her last book, and I loved it. At the moment I’m reading a swedish book but since I soon will finish it I will start reading Shantaram, I heard that it’s really good as well, but massive, but hey we like massive book, don’t we? :)

12. Caroline says:

I’m reading “For Grace Received” by Valeria Parella; I highly recommend it.

13. Candice says:

I’m reading Howard’s End by E.M Forster at the moment, It’s a classic !

14. Libertad says:

At the moment I’m with the fith book of “A Song of Fire and Ice”, called “Dance of Dragons”. If you like epic stories, these books are some of the great ones I’ve read.

I’m also reading (but this one as a “work” book, as I’m a coolhunter) “Victims of fashion”, a study about fashion brands and how they influence in our lives; very interesting too :)

15. sofia says:

any of the Chilean writer Isabel Allende (Paula is my favorite)
    love your blogg

kiss from brasil!

16. lizardek says:

I second The Help. Also Fall of Giants by Ken Follett is excellent. And anything by Malcolm Gladwell!

17. Melanie says:

I just finished Shanghai Girls by Lisa See – very capivating read. I’m now reading A Curious Thing Happened to the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon which is an interesting read too, different prespective.

18. Rouenna says:

Congrats again on your move to wordpress. The blog looks even lovelier. :)

Right now, I’m reading Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time Book 5. I’m in the mood for fantasy genre these days. Cheers!

19. Monica says:

Loving the new blog design!

I just finished ‘When god was a rabbit’. Absolutely loved it!

The Help is a great book so and it looks like theres a lot of love for The Help

20. Katie says:

I’m reading The History of Love by Nicole Kraus right now and it’s pretty incredible. I just finished The Vanishing act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O’Farrell and have yet to get it out of my head–it’s one of those books that stays with you. I would definitely recommend both!

21. Alexandra says:

I just started reading “Eating Animals” by Jonathan Safran Foer. It is completely changing my life, and blowing my mind. I also just got “Age of Innocence” by Edith Wharton and I can’t wait to get my classic fix!

22. Mary says:

Currently reading “Unbroken” by Laura Hillenbrand and enjoying it very much. Two others I’ve enjoyed recently – The Lacuna, by Barbara Kingsolver, and Caleb’s Crossing, by Geraldine Brooks.

23. Maria Speidel says:

Agree with above comments, the new site is soo pretty!

Just finished The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman. Enjoyable, though not earth shattering. Like you I am casting about for what to read next. . . a classic? The Keith Richards autobiography, which my husband loved. . . .? It’s like being hungry but not knowing what you want to eat. . .

24. Jess Lucas says:

The two books that I have recently fallen in love with have been ‘Two Caravans’ by Marina lewycka and ‘the shadow of the wind’ by carlos ruiz zafon.
    Hope you have fun holidays:)

Jess x

25. Melissa says:

I’m reading The Forgotten Garden (good so far) and Middlemarch. I just finished French Milk and The Brooklyn Follies, both of which were wonderful, but very different.

26. Abby says:

I just finished “Half the Sky” by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. Extremely affecting. I haven’t read a book that made me weep in a very long time.

The new site looks great!

27. donna myrow says:

Roger Rosenblatt’s Making Toast left me exhausted. I finished it in two days and keep it on my nightstand. A must-read this summer. I won’t share details, you’ll weep and smile turning pages of his short memoir.

28. Hallie says:

I’m reading the delightful “The Art of Eating” by M.F.K. Fisher…

29. Krissy says:

I just finished a re-read of one of my favourites – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Always a fun and light read. And I’m heading off to bed right now to start Breakfast at Tiffany’s! Very much looking forward to it.

30. Jane says:

I’m reading, ‘The Pop Larkin Chronicles’ by H.E. Bates, it’s also known as ‘The Darling Buds of May’ which is the name of the television series with David Jason, it’s idyllic. But I also recommend, ‘A Thousand Days in Venice’ by Marlena De Blasi….wonderfully romantic.

31. I’m reading the complete short works of Tolstoy over the summer, as well as a fascinating art/words book by Nick Bantock titled “The Museum at Purgatory”– a must read/see.

32. Janet says:

I’ve recently enjoyed SISTER by Rosamund Lupton, TO BE SUNG UNDER WATER by Tom McNeal, LEFT EARLY, TOOK MY DOG, Kate Atkinson, IF WALLS COULD TALK, by Lucy Worsley, and PULSE, by Julian Barnes. I wasn’t taken with WHEN GOD WAS A RABBIT. I’m just starting Alan Hollinghurst’s THE STRANGER’S CHILD.

33. dana says:

I want to read Cocktails Under the Forgiveness Tree after reading an excerpt in Vogue-beautiful memoir about growing up in kenya and being the daughter of someone sounds wonderfully eccentric, joyfully bohemian in a british empire kind of way. it’s not out in U.S. til 8/23 but I’ve pre-ordered. Have just completed The House in France and State of Wonder- both good.

34. Caroline says:

I’m reading Light in August by Faulkner (I’m so incredibly excited- As I Lay Dying is one of my favorite books of all time), Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. They’re all wonderful.

35. kim says:

currently: primo levi’s if this is a man / the truce. not so uplifting, but amazing and should definitely be read…

36. Maryrose Loertscher says:

I\’ve been dating a guy exclusively for 4 years; however, within the first few months of dating, he confessed to me that he wasn\’t over his ex-girlfriend and wasn\’t in-love with me. Despite everything, we continued to date and several months later, I confronted him with the fact that I wanted a relationship and not just a friendship, so I broke up with him. Then, after a couple of months, I sent him a text message on a whim. He immediately responded to me, and came to see me. From that point on, we\’ve been back to dating exclusively. So, that was 3 years ago. Our relationship was not defined as such, and we never discussed or labeled ourselves as boyfriend/girlfriend. However, we\’ve always been very caring, respectful, and supportive of eachother. He basically has behaved as my boyfriend in many ways. I\’ve met and gotten to know his friends and family, we\’ve spent holidays & birthdays together. We would talk on the phone during the week, and would see eachother on weekends. He\’s been reliable and trustworthy. However, the key ingredient that\’s been missing is true love and romance. It\’s been more of a really close friendship, and I\’ve been patiently waiting for things to flourish, but never wanted to push him.