Sep 30, 2011

Time to dig out Lady Chatterley, it’s Banned Books Week! My favorite banned books: “The Sun Also Rises,”
“I know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” “Girl, Interrupted,” “Beloved” and everything by D.H. Lawrence.
How can you pick just one?

What’s on your banned books list?

(Posters via An Oddly Calm Teenager’s Life.)

This entry was posted on Friday, September 30th, 2011 at 1:00 am. It is filed under Blog, Trending. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

14 Responses to “Banned Books Week”

1. sécia says:

I have the first American edition of A Clockwork Orange in which the last chapter was banned and not printed. Very cool piece of history. I treasure it.

♥ sécia

2. Diana says:

I will be digging into Lady Chatterley’s Lover. I own it but have yet to read it…or any work of D.H. Lawrence’s for that matter (as someone who has an English degree, I should be thoroughly ashamed to admit that on cyberspace). I’m so grateful we have these censored works of art available to us now.

3. Joy says:

If only I had time to reread all banned books. I think I still have my copy of ‘Catcher in the Rye’ somewhere…

4. Genevieve says:

Dumbledore isn’t gay! :O Harry Potter, hands down my favourite banned book, but it may tie with Nabokov’s Lolita.

• Eliza says:

Dumbledore is, in fact, gay. J.K. made this public after releasing the last book – when the filmmakers wanted to include in Deathly Hollows a past romance of his with a woman.

5. Tegan says:

A catcher in the rye was banned wasn’t it? Love that book!

6. Lu says:

Oh no – I didn’t know about banned books week! I will have to be a week behind. No I just have to decide which book to read!

7. Emma says:

Love the post, but doesn’t it seem odd that the ad campaign (which I love the concept of) relies on the movie editions of these books. Especially, when at least three cases, there are exceedingly iconic styles of illustrating those characters? It just seems like the message that could’ve been strongly “Read!” is transferred into “Watch!”

• Tina says:

That’s an interesting point…Maybe the campaign was also aimed at people who haven’t read the books but who have seen the movies so they can better understand what’s at stake? It’s very powerful.

8. ta says:

I just read I know why the Caged bird Sings this year. I loved it. I also love As i Lay Dying.

9. Hannah says:

love this post! i haven’t got around to ready Lady Chatterley yet but its definitely on my list

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

10. alicia says:

My first encounter with banned books was “Boy’s Life” by Robert McCammon. A character in the novel walks around the town naked because he doesn’t want to receive any type of financial association with his super mogul father. The book was banned after a girl in my class freaked to her mother about it. Surprisingly, this was the only book that was banned in my Catholic school since its opening. We still read “Catcher in the Rye.”

My favorite banned (and taboo) book is “Lolita.” I picked it up when I was 13 and had a really difficult time trying to understand it. I couldn’t finish it and only discovered its wonder nearly 12 years later.