Sep 12, 2011

Becky, a 20-year-old English Lit geek living in London, scribbled out this list in a Moleskine notebook at 3 am
a couple nights ago. She posted it on her Tumblr page,
and within 24 hours, more than 11,000 people had saved it in their favorites file.

She was astonished. “I still don’t know how something I scribbled in a hurry at 3am got so many notes in the space of a day? Shakespeare is clearly too awesome,” Becky said in an update on the post today. “I spelt “bated” wrong, awk … Someone said this looks like a serial killer’s notebook, which made me laugh a lot. They’re not wrong, I’ve been a sleep deprived zombie lately.”

She certainly is a girl on a mission.

On her birthday on August 30th, she set a challenge for herself: Read a book every week until she turns 21. “Lately, I’ve gotten into the terrible habit of buying books but never reading them.
Gradually I’ve been reading less and less,” she said.

She put together a list of 52 books (heavy on Palahniuk, Murakami and Hemingway) and posted it here.
“I thought it would be a good way to encourage others to read more too.”
Want to take the challenge? The details are here.
She’s also giving away the books she reads.

Awesome.

This entry was posted on Monday, September 12th, 2011 at 1:46 am. It is filed under authors, Books, Featured, Thumbs. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

55 Responses to “Phrases We Owe to Shakespeare”

1. Joy says:

This is so freaking awesome! So glad you shared this. Would have LURVED to join the challenge but I don’t know if I can with so much school work. Ahhhh :)

2. Tina says:

I know! I’m definitely going to try to read a few of the books with her…

3. Saw Hamlet this summer (the excellent ISC production in Griffith Park.) I haven’t read the play since college, but just sat their dumbstruck thinking how many phrases and lines from that play alone we use daily AND how many books and plays have taken them as their title. For instance, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, which comes from Hamlet describing his father’s former jester, whose skull he holds in the play’s famous scene. . .

4. Chedva says:

This is so awesome! Such a cool girl!

5. Hannah says:

that’s a brilliant idea! i love the phrases from Shakespeare. it’s funny because a lot of people don’t even realise where the sayings come from and what a massive impact he had on our language

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

6. brian says:

nice…this is awesome…had shakespeare on the brain when i wrote my post today too…cool idea on the reading a book a week…i have become really lazy…i used to read multiple books a week but now…not so much…

7. Diana says:

Such a wonderful post! She is certainly inspiring to readers like me who sometimes allow the hasssles of daily life to come between a book and me. It’s encouraged to redouble my efforts. Thanks for this!

8. Katie says:

Oh man, what an idea! I read a book a week for school, of course, but my own books? That would be fun. I’m kind of amazed that she managed to recall that many Shakespearean phrases in the middle of the night!

9. courtney says:

This is so awesome. I love your blog… :)

10. Beatrice says:

I love the context it’s in. It makes it for a more memorable way to remember the bard’s contributions. I have forwarded this link to my friend and colleague who teaches H.S. English.

11. Ceri says:

I’m liking Becky’s style. :) And I love love love that list of phrases. :D Shakespeare’s the king of modern language.

12. Wow, I had no idea! Love it.

13. elizabeth says:

wow, that is amazing!

e

14. ta says:

How fun. I’ve been reading a lot more lately. It makes me happy to use my imagination. I just finished rereading some books from childhood. And i’m recording the 3 Musketeers for a friend of mine. Thats been super fun.

15. Luli says:

Haha. This is awesome. Good for her and her awesome creativity. Now I’m inspired to pen something like that too. “Phrases we owe to Jane Austen?”

16. Molly says:

That’s what my New Years Resolution was for this year. Some months are better than others but I’m already at 41. It’s been the best resolution I’ve ever made.

17. booker t bookington says:

Love your idea and sorry to be a buzzkill, but just so you know:

Merchant of Venice i. iii. 125 ‘With BATED breath, and whispring humblenesse.

BtB

18. Kailey says:

Ahh what a wonderful post! I had no idea so many of these phrases originated in Shakespeare’s work – definitely an eye-opener! Thank you for sharing <3

19. julia. says:

becky is a smart girl! great post by the way. and oh, i just wanted to tell you that i think your blog looks really pretty, you have made a lot of awsome posts!

love,

julia.

20. brad says:

Ha. The English Lit geek also ‘spelt’ “spelled” incorrectly too. She needs her rest.

21. Wheeler Hall says:

“Set your teeth on edge” is a phrase Shakespeare appropriated from the Bible:

And he seide, ‘What is it, that ye turnen a parable among you in to this prouerbe, in the lond of Israel, and seien, Fadris eeten a bittir grape, and the teeth of sones ben an egge, ether astonyed?’ (Ezekiel 18:2; Wycliffe Bible 1395).

What meane ye by this comon prouerbe that ye use in the lande of Israel, saying: The fathers haue eaten sowre grapes, and the chyldrens teeth are set on edge? (Ezekiel 18:2; The Bishop’s Bible 1568).

22. Becky says:

I’m humbled by the shoutout, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I honestly am not attempting to claim that I am clever in the slightest. By “English Lit geek” I merely mean that I have a passion for literature!

Ever since I moved to London when I was five, my parents (worried that I would not pick up the language easily) showered me in books, a lot of CS Lewis and bible verses at church, took me to every museum within a drivable distance. I owe it all to them. I believe that everybody can be passionate about being engrossed in imaginary world of a book or lost in thought in front of a painting at a gallery – sometimes it just takes one spark to trigger this experience.

Some may find reading a daunting experience, that’s probably because they haven’t found the right book for them. They find Hardy, Dickens and Austen boring and are under the impression that all books are written in (to them) jargon and obsolete words. Really though – how many 16 year olds actually know what a reddleman is?! If it had not been explained to me, I certainly would not have understood. There are many genres out there for everyone, I do not feel that anyone can go a lifetime without finding at least one piece of writing which truly speaks to them, changes them or their perspective on something. This is because words have that indescribable power on a reader.

I may not know the correct meanings or spellings of every word, but the feeling of fascination that I got years ago when my teacher told me all about John Keats’ love for Fanny Brawne, the motivation behind his poetry, the smell of books, dreaming about Puddleglum and Narnia in my sleep as a child… these are all wonderful things that I hope others can experience too :)

23. Precise Edit says:

Change “which” to “that,” print it on large, glossy paper, and sell it to high school English teachers for $24.99 (USD).

24. diana says:

erm…isn’t it “bated breath”?

25. Kyle King says:

Lovely piece, but one correction…it is “bated breath”, not “baited breath”.

A wonderful reminder of the breadth of English euphemism…and one of its earliest purveyors.

Thanks!

Kyle

26. Patricia Kayden says:

Great post — I was not aware of the Bard’s influence on the English language. Learned something new today.

27. [...] is so cool. I found it from English Muse… Apparently a student scribbled all the modern phrases that originate from Shakespeare, [...]

28. [...] Redewendungen zusammengeschmiert, die auf Shakespeare zurückgehen, und damit im Internet eine gewisse Berühmtheit erlangt. I still don’t know how something I scribbled in a hurry at 3am got so many notes in the [...]

29. [...] contributions to the English language it would still be really, really impressive. (via English Muse) Share [...]

30. [...] you had a lovely Wednesday! I’m still getting lots of traffic on the Shakespeare post. Amazing what takes off on the Internet! Bodes well for the future of [...]

31. amageingrace says:

Very impressive, I guess, but it’s all greek to me.

32. Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, nice written and include almost all vital infos. I?d like to look more posts like this .

33. Michael says:

“Breathed his last” is actually from the Old Testament of the Bible. Sorry, but Shakespeare doesn’t get credit for this one.

• Jey H says:

Maybe whom ever wrote the bible stole it from Shakespeare??? Unless there is an old testament around from the early 1500′s to verify, I give credit to Shakespeare. =)

• Eduardo says:

questione di gusti non puoi dire quale toiglpoia di gioco pi bella, pertanto ti dico che ai puristi e cio’ agli amanti della serie r.evil piacciono di pi i primi pubblicati quelli zeppi di enigmi e difficolt alle stelle. A me piacerebbe giocare ad un r.evil bilanciato tra enigmi ma quelli tosti e ben fatti e azione ma senza sottovalutare la spettacolarit ecco io questo mi aspetterei da un buon gioco sopratutto da una serie cos importante come r.evil

34. Katie says:

Although I agree this is really cool, this girl didn’t just come up with all this herself. This is all taken from a poster at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London. It has been there for years.

35. Peter says:

Shakespeare didn’t invent the English language as far as I know. So it seems a bit of a leap of logic to credit him with so many commonplace phrases. Isn’t it just possible that he wrote down what he’d heard others say and what he’d picked up as part of his culture?

36. Few months ago i was reading something about it. You did good job here.

37. Henry says:

I was impressed by the information and it has been of some of the best that I have found

38. Bryan says:

Nice list. Makes a great poster. You can buy it here. Visit the Globe if possible, wonderful experience! http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/shop/product/quoting-shakespeare-poster/87

39. [...] Becky. Via The English Muse. Share this:Share on TumblrMoreDiggPrintEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

40. pat corcoran says:

Very well done! I “appropiated” your idea, set it as type, added a few more, and created a poster. I will be using it in my classroom only! As an English teacher, I too labored over “which” or “that” or neither. Finally, went with “that”. Again a wonderful idea.

41. chloe allan says:

omg i love thy shakespeare lol!!!!!!!!!

42. [...] that this was something we’d focus on throughout the project.  I also highlighted this awesome graphic to point out that even though Shakespeare might be difficult they actually have heard and said a [...]

43. MelitaSu says:

What a wonderful, inspirational post — and blog.

All content © 2014 by The English Muse