Sep 19, 2011

How Quickly It Grabbed Me

In honor of Milk + Bookies day here in our corner of the Internet,
I wanted to ask the question: What’s your favorite children’s book?

Mine was Snow White and Rose Red, one of the Grimm fairy tales about two girls living in the most enchanting forest cottage. (And of course there’s a handsome prince involved.) I remember they had two rose bushes growing on an arbor — one was red and the other was white. At age five growing up in the desert, this sounded so wonderful to me. I wanted a little cottage of my own some day covered with climbing roses.
All these years later, it remains my enduring ideal of home.

Books have so much power to change the way we see ourselves and the world, which is why it is so important to read to our children. I’m very honored today to take this moment to talk about Milk + Bookies, a charity I learned about through my friend Melisa at The Lil Bee.

I was lucky to have a lot of books growing up, but not all kids do. That’s where Milk + Bookies comes in. The group raises funds to purchase books for underserved children. It also encourages children and their families to donate new copies of their favorite books to youngsters in need. The idea is to instill not only an appreciation for reading, but also an understanding of what it means to give back to the community. It was started by several moms here in Los Angeles. I really love the idea!
There is much more information on the Milk + Bookies website if you’re interested.

Thank you for reading!

So what’s your favorite book?

(Illustration by Hollie Chastain.)

This entry was posted on Monday, September 19th, 2011 at 10:08 pm. It is filed under Blog, Books, Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

37 Responses to “What’s your favorite children’s book?”

1. abigail says:

“harold and the purple crayon” and “the mixed up files of mrs basil e frankweiler” were my favorite books. Both required reading for creative kids.

2. The Lil Bee says:

I love your post, Tina! Love it. Books do have so much power to transform us. I now have so many books added to my Amazon cart, after today’s posts! Thank you, love:) xo

3. I always loved Big Bad Bruce by Bill Peet. The illustrations are highly detailed. I am amassing a Bill Peet collection book by book.

4. Kolbie says:

Stephanie’s Ponytail by Robert Munsch. Such a good message, and so clever!

5. sécia says:

“The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories” by Tim Burton. Can’t wait to read it to my children someday.

♥ sécia

6. Susan says:

This is so funny…I’m just finishing up a post for Giulia Geranium blog on Milk + Bookies. lol

I can’t choose a book…I’ll be back later:)

xo

7. Lisi says:

Hiiiiii! Yay for Milk and Bookies! Come see my post! Miss you on my little portion of the internet! Hope your new job treats you well. Can’t wait to hear about it!

8. Luli says:

I think it has to be The Secret Garden. In fact, now I’m in the mood to reread it…this is a sweet post. Good for you!!

9. Kailey says:

Ooh I think my favorite would have to be the Winnie the Pooh stories! Also The Little Prince ^^ Gorgeous post!

10. Mrs. Parker says:

“The Little White Horse” by Elizabeth Goudge. It was a major influence on me as a kid, and I was happy to read not long ago that JK Rowling counted it as one of her favourite books.

11. maggie may says:

To pick A book- impossible. Some favorites: Company’s Coming, Bill Peet (all), Half Magic, Ozma of Oz, Goodnite, Fairies

12. comic books for me…all the Tintin adventures!
    Happy belated sweet Birthday darling Tina!
    Stay fabulous~Mwah*

13. ClaraAnne says:

Mine was The Magic Faraway Tree. The idea of visiting different ‘lands’ and experiencing all kinds of fascinating, unbelievable things at the top of the tree just appealed to the dreamer in me and still does to this day.

14. Katie says:

My sister and I had this wonderful little book called Mr. Pudgins. It was a story somewhere between Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and it was wonderful. I believe it’s out of print, but I still have our crumbling paperback.

15. Hannah says:

great post! i’m going to read up on milk and bookies, thanks for sharing! i want to do my own post about the charity now. my favourite was either the goose girl or apricots at midnight :)
    apricots at midnight was about a little girl who had a patchwork quilt belonging to her aunt Pinny and each of the patches had it’s own story and chapter of the book.

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

16. I love children’s literature so much! Some favorites: The Velveteen Rabbit, Alice in Wonderland, Matilda, Wind in the Willows, Dr. Seuss…the list goes on!

I actually just stumbled across Milk and Bookies yesterday and love what they are doing, it’s such a wonderful cause!

17. I loved anything by Jules Verne, but 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea was probably my absolute favorite. I loved reading when I was little, and still love it today…so I make sure to read to baby J every day and I’m hoping he will love it too.

18. ta says:

I was just thinking of this story the other day! My friend is an English Teacher at one of our local rural high schools and she was saying that so many of her kids don’t KNOW about these fairy tales. It makes me really sad. I loved reading them as a kid.

19. To pick just 1 is so hard because I have always loved books. One of my all time favs is the secret garden.. or maybe the hobbit. :)

20. Valerie says:

Hello from Manitoba, Canada…my favourite children’s series growing up in the 60′s…was *The Bobbsey Twins* books. Thanks for asking us! Cheers, Valerie.

21. Robyn says:

I had lots of favorites as a child, but the ones I always turned to was the Complete Fairy Tales of The Brothers Grimm and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

22. Madeleine says:

Oh I had so many. But my favorite children’s book of all time would have to be “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. On your worst day you can always dream of moving to Australia.
    -Madeleine

23. Diana says:

‘I could no sooner choose a favourite star in the heavens.’ (quote from Ever After). I always loved a good Roald Dahl novel growing up, and ‘Fantastic Mr. Fox’ was undoubtedly my favourite. As far as picture books go I loved (and still often give as a gift to expectant parents) ‘Quick as a Cricket’ by Don and Audrey Wood. It’s full of similes and gorgeous illustrations. A children’s favourite that I discovered as an adult: ‘The Graveyard Book’ by Neil Gaiman.

24. Eak.Larsson says:

Being Swedish and bombarded with stories by Astrid Lindgren as a child I would have to choose one of them. My favorites are by far Pippi Longstocking and The Six Bullerby Children.

25. I love children’s lit so much! Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl, so many good stories don’t even know where to begin! Where the Wild Things Are is very fun too!

26. ZEOLITE says:

The Phantom Tollbooth, baby!

27. Joann says:

I have so many favorites, I love children’s literature! Off the top of my head:

-The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
    -The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
    -Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (the audiobook is even better…Shel reads the poems himself)
    -James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
    -Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig
    -Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina

You’ve inspired me to start reading fairy tales. I bought a copy of My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me awhile back; it’s been patiently waiting for me on my nightstand. I really should hop to it.

28. Krissy says:

I have so many favourites, it’s hard to choose just one! A few favourites are: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (I was attached to that book), Are You My Mother? (I thought it was the most hilarious thing ever… “And the big thing just said SNORT!” Peed my pants many-a-time reading that one. ;), and of course, the Berenstein Bears books (classic).

29. CarolGK says:

Like everyone else says, it’s so hard to choose just one but either of these picture books: “Dr DeSoto” by William Steig or “Officer Buckle and Gloria” by Peggy Rathman. These weren’t around when I was a child but I read them to my children. If you read “Officer Buckle” aloud to a child, you have to allow extra time to read every one of the post-it notes Officer Buckle has on the wall of his office. You will not be allowed to read only the text. My son just walked in and reminded me of “The Wainscot Weasel” for older readers.

30. Morgan says:

My favorite book as a child was The Fourteen Bears in Summer and Winter. Every time I was at the library I would check out that book. (We couldn’t buy it because it was out of print.) My parents even made a video of me reading it aloud.

Then one day I went to go check it out again and the librarian informed my mom that the last person to check it out never returned it. For years we looked at every used book store (this was back before the miracle of the internet) and my mom even wrote the publishers several times to try and get it back in print. I finally got a copy as a graduation present 10 years ago and it’s one of my most prized possessions.

31. Emily says:

I can’t walk into a Barnes & Noble without visiting my childhood friends: Lil’ Critter, Arthur, Streganona, Amelia Bedelia, and so many others.

I also loved (and still do) Anne of Green Gables and the Little House on the Prairie series. Would anyone rent me their children to read to?

32. Kathy Perantie says:

So many great mentions here, some of which I’d forgotten.

I loved “From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler”, “Secret Garden”, “Sylvester & The Magic Pebble”, fairy tales, and anything Seuss growing up.

I also loved “Beloved Benjamin is Waiting” by Jean Karl about a girl who is abandoned by her druggie parents and secretly moves into the old caretaker’s house in the nearby cemetary to escape neighborhood bullies. There she discovers that a broken statue of a young boy allows her to communicate with a friendly and intelligent alien.

As an adult I discovered the Redwall books and all the rest of EL Konigsburg. And I can’t wait for my son to be old enough for Bob Shea (I’ve got BIG PLANS! BIG PLANS I say!).

33. Cathy Graves says:

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle.

34. my favorite children’s book as of late is called “an awesome book.”

it’s an awesome book.

35. It?s in point of fact a nice and useful piece of info. I am happy that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

36. I take pleasure in, lead to I discovered exactly what I was taking a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

37. Ali robs says:

“Mrs. Rumphius” (often referred to as “The Lupin Lady”) by
    Barbara Cooney. Also, “Make Way for Ducklings” &
    “Blueberries for Sal” and “One Morning in Maine”,
    by Robert McCloskey. And of course, Mordicai Gerstein’s
    phenomonal story “The Mountains of Tibet”.