Sep 06, 2011

Picture 009a

On Friday, I picked up a copy of Jonathan Safran Foer’s book, “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.”

As always, the first thing I did was look at his dedication page. I’m sentimental that way.

He wrote: “For Nicole, My Idea of Beautiful.”

Hmm, I wondered, who is this beautiful Nicole?

On Saturday, I stopped in the bookstore to pick up a couple magazines.
I spotted a copy of Nicole Krauss’ “The History of Love.”

I started to flip through the pages. It occurred to me: Is it possible Krause is The Nicole.

The answer was on her dedication page:
“For Jonathan, my life.”

Maybe everyone in the world knows that they’re married, but I guess it was new to me.

So I wanted to tell you…

(Photo from the lovely PoppyTalk blog.)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 at 1:36 pm. It is filed under illustrations. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

36 Responses to “Writers in Love”

1. Love dedication pages! They’re both such wonderful writers too!

2. Ashley says:

I love discovering things like that! I didn’t know they were married either. But I did love “The History of Love”.

3. Liv says:

I didn’t know! I’ve wanted to read her book, but now I must. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is one of my all-time favorites.

4. Alaina says:

Oh wow, Extremely Loud is one of those books I read at least once a year but I had no idea they were married. Thanks for sharing.

5. Kacie says:

This totally made my day. Talk about ROMANCE! Lovely. Thanks for sharing

Kacie
    A Collection of Passions

6. Katie says:

That’s exactly how I felt when I learned they were married. Other people know? Why doesn’t everyone delightedly exclaim about it?
    For the record, I’ve only known for a few weeks.

7. Micaela says:

Aww Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is my favorite book ever! So beautifully written; same with The History of Love. I didn’t know that they were married when I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but I found out right before I read The History of Love. They are perfect for each other… same writing style and everything.

8. Interesting post – I am not familiar with the authors and shall look for them on amazon
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Helen x

9. How sweet and romantic. I love “The History of Love”.

10. Kolbie says:

That’s so cool! I totally didn’t know that and I read both of them. Haha.

11. alicia says:

I don’t know how this slipped my mind for the book recommendations post, but this post suddenly reminded me of how much I love Alain de Botton’s “On Love” (or sometimes seen published as “Essays on Love”). It’s one of the greatest love stories I’ve ever read.

12. laurie b says:

wow. so romantic. to be each other’s muse. what could be better for any creative soul?!

13. Diana says:

I found that out when I read his non-fiction text ‘Eating Animals.’ Also, I kind of have an author crush on him. He seems very geek chic.

14. Luli says:

So sweet. So romantic. I always go to the dedication page. It’s my favorite part of starting a new book. Sigh. The book I’m reading right now “French Kissing” by Catherine Sanderson has this as a dedication: “for M, the online date who became my husband.”

15. That really is romantic. Wouldn’t it be cool to have that kind of dedication made to you?

16. Molly says:

They are the sweetest. My favorite writing couple.

17. Samantha says:

YAYY! i am so glad you bought my book recommendation. i love it so, so much and hope you will too! i also have to say that i love jonathan’s writing far better than his wife’s. i felt the history of love to be a bit contrived and full of corny sentences that sound like they came right out of a nicholas sparks book!

xo
    sami

18. Wow, i love your blog header! 🙂 Esp. the pink Jane Eyre book and typewriter. Did you create that blog banner yourself? It’s real cool 🙂

19. olivia says:

love that! I wonder what the inside of my book would say.. not that I have a book 🙂 but if I did…

20. Tina says:

wow! off to check out her book!

21. Tina says:

Thank you! Yes, I put it together. The pink peonies are from Trader Joes. And the dress forms were in a shop window in Venice, CA….My friend Candice in Paris took the photos of the Jane Eyre book. She was so lovely to let me use them! Her blog is here: http://candicelesage.com/sense/

22. Tina says:

I know! It’s the writer’s equivalent of giving an Oscar speech.

23. Naomi Bulger says:

I love it. You’re like the romance detective! What a sweet discovery.

24. Franziska says:

And isn’t it all the nicer to discover it this way?! 😀 smiles, F.

25. Bethany says:

That’s so lovely – thanks for sharing. x

26. Jess Lucas says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! thats so amazing, I have loved both of these books separately and its so nice to think that I can love them together now 🙂
    Jess x

27. Karen says:

Aww, that is too awesome. I didn’t have a clue they are married. Two of my favourite authors. Cool.

28. Krissy says:

Aw, that’s kind of cute! Such a fun little discovery.

(How are you liking Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close so far? It’s one of my favourites. He’s one of my favourite authors too.)

29. Mary Beth says:

Oh, that is so sweet! I love this!

30. Linda says:

That’s beautiful, i didn’t know they were married, and that’s such a wonderful way to find out! I’m very curious of what you think of the book!

31. Sarah says:

Awww that gave me a little heart swelling feeling! I love dedications and acknowledgments too. Sometimes acknowledgments make me a little teary eyed seeing how much work was put into a book! Also, my favorite daydream is writing my own acknowledgments in my head- usually do this when I should be actually writing the book for those acknowledgments. 🙂

32. […] another note, this is a very sweet little […]

33. […] Of course it’s based on the brilliant book by Jonathan Safran Foer. (He dedicated the book to someone very special.) […]

All content © 2016 by English Muse