Oct 11, 2011

.3855

Do you have specific book that you read every Autumn? I have books that I read in Summer (I Capture the Castle, for example) and in Winter (A Moveable Feast, always), but I need a good Fall book. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Photo credits: Hildagrahnat and Rachael Hyde.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 at 2:20 am. It is filed under Blog. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

38 Responses to “Autumn Reading Suggestions Wanted!”

1. Well… currently reading Rona Jaffe’s ‘The Best of Everything’ which I quite link…. Next on the bookshelf is Diffenbough’s ‘The Language of Flowers’ which I am very excited about; it is a beautiful looking hardback book.

I am also considering purchasing th enew Kindle and only buying second hand print books… Any Kindle experiences???

Great site!

2. Well… currently reading Rona Jaffe’s ‘The Best of Everything’ which I quite like…. Next on the bookshelf is Diffenbough’s ‘The Language of Flowers’ which I am very excited about; it is a beautiful looking hardback book.

Great site!

3. rmlfvr says:

I found the first picture truly inspirational and took the liberty to base a very small article on it. Many thanks for the share!

Regarding the topic of this post, I would probably go for recommending Shadow of the Wind, by Zafón (http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Wind-Carlos-Ruiz-Zafon/dp/1594200106), and La Horde de Contrevent, by Damasio (though I’m discovering that unsurprisingly this great novel has yet to get an English version). Plus, I would add Murakami’s Dance Dance Dance, which I often read in autumn for some reason.

@smalltimequeen / As a Kindle addict and book-eater, I chose to pick a special strategy. I read all my school/work material on my Kindle along with most of my other books, but I turn to hard-cover books in two specific cases. Firstly, for beautifully made books, mostly art and architecture books (Taschen editions are a good example of that sort of books), and secondly second-hand books, for I cannot help being amazed by their backgrounds and wondering about the stories they could tell.

4. Tonia says:

Ooh, for this time of year, it has to be Cider with Rosie for beautiful descriptions of seasons just passed and those still to face, followed by Wuthering Heights when it gets darker for a bit of gothic romance.
    As I’m taking my daughter up to Haworth (Emily Bronte’s home) next week, I’ve bought the reading of this forward so she can start it for the first time whilst we’re actually up there. Can’t wait to pass it on!

5. jessica says:

I read ‘The Picture of Dorian Gray’ by Oscar Wilde every September

6. Gisela says:

Autumn – that’s Jane Austen for me!! Forever…

And please let me say: I LOVE YOUR BLOG!

Thanks for being such an inspiration!!

Love
    Gisela from Munich xox

7. lis says:

hello my dear,
    currently I read The Shifting Fog by Kate Morton. I also reccomend The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, both are very magical and I think they are perfect for Autumn!
    I hope I helped!
    have a lovely day,
    lis

these-misty-eyes.blogspot.com

8. I like really recommend Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson. It’s about a young girl living in northern British Columbia.

xo, Anna of (green gable)

9. Candice says:

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf <3

10. catherine says:

there is something about the windy wildness of autumn that makes me think of h.p. lovecraft. so i read his stories every fall. but perhaps that is not what you were thinking.

11. Anne of Green Gables is a classic and a favorite of mine. It puts you in a place and time that is cozy and simple.

12. Kim Grey says:

I’m not sure autumnal this book may be, but I just read “An Object of Beauty” by Steve Martin, and really enjoyed it. The story is about a young woman, fresh out of art school, who goes to NYC and immerses herself in the behind-the-scenes world of art galleries.

13. Wuthering Heights? As I have just posted on my own blog, I find it a very Autumn/Fall novel.. The passion, the sublime, everything.. :)

14. christina says:

Little Women, A Lesson Before Dying, To Kill a Mockingbird.

15. Kelly says:

I just finished” A Moveable Feast” and loved it! I am now reading “The Night Circus” and adoring it. “Something Wicked This Way Comes” is always extremely appropriate for this month.

16. I don’t have an Autum book, but when it rains, I have to watch Gosford Park.

17. Daria says:

In autumn I really love to read W. Somerset Maugham (Of Human Bondage, Theatre) and P.G. Wodehouse (stories about Jeeves and Bertie Wooster).

18. Mandilla says:

Wise Blood by Flannery O’Connor and then some Kurt Vonnegut.

19. Nadine says:

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

20. Katie says:

Any Brontë novel ought to be perfectly autumnal. My mom just finished Agnes Gray, by Anne Brontë, and loved it. I wish I had time to read it!
    For some reason, the first book I thought of was Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go. It feels very fall-ish to me, perhaps because it is so ephemeral.
    Regardless of what you choose, I do hope you’ll let us know!

• Diana says:

I LOVE Anne Bronte. She is so underrated. I adore both of her novels, but ‘The Tenant of Wildfell Hall’ is my favourite.

21. Diana says:

I am currently trying to decide what my fall choices will be, and I’d like to read some Gothic novels for Halloween. Favourites so far include ‘Dracula’ and ‘The Turn of the Screw.’ I’m trying to pick something new for this October!

22. Jen says:

“Persuasion by” Jane Austen. I’ve actually heard it described as having a “mellow autumnal tone” and I agree.

Also:
    “The Age of Grief” by Jane Smiley – although the stories in the book take place in a multitude of seasons, I would describe change as a major theme of the book, great for autumn.

“A Year in Provence” by Peter Mayle. Never mind that it’s about a whole year and not just autumn. For some reason it’s a very sink-into-the-chair-with-an-afghan sort of book.

At this point in my comment I started pulling things off the shelf in handfuls and now I must go and read them.

23. Kacie says:

I really dive into my cookbooks in the fall but I love re-reading Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver. One of my favorites.

Kacie
    A Collection of Passions

24. i’m hooked on the hunger games right now but i wouldn’t say it was necessarily a fall read. i’m loving the suggestions above, though. lots of good stuff!

25. A friend recommends The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern!
    My feeling you know this book already! The book cover is quite you, Tina!
    ~Cheers to a cozy season*

26. Liss says:

the Kate Morton books mentioned above are on my reading list. Currently though Im reading One Day by David Nicolls. Im such a slow reader though, taking me forever!

27. gee says:

i really enjoy any margaret atwood’s books in the autumn.

28. martha says:

Nadine’s “The Secret History” suggestion is brilliant. Such a great autumn read! If you haven’t read it, YOU MUST. (Gwyneth Paltrow supposedly optioned it years ago; I wonder if anything will ever come of it.)

I think “The Night Circus” is next on my list. Just finished “Cleopatra” and loved it…

29. nanne says:

the historian is the perfect autumn/halloween read! beautifully written and methodically researched work of fiction about dracula and the history behind the legend.

• Almiitta says:

che la grafica di Undercover non era per nintee male.Quello che non mi piaceva di Undercover e’ che era semplicemente noioso.E’ vero che la Wii tecnicamente e’ molto inferiore alla Xobx e PS3 , ma questo non giustifica la mediocrita’ generale dei titoli di corsaproposti.Per quale motivo BURNOUT 2 per Gamecube e’ ancora un bel titolo e anche molto divertente??? dove esiste anche una gestione degli scontri!!!E’ mai possibile che con una Console decisamente piu’ potente non si riesca a fare di meglio???Ho la brutta ampressione che questo nuo Need for Speed sia un po’ troppo arcade . un altro paio di titoli NFS di questo genere e riusciranno a raggiungere il livello F-ZERO del GC di 5 anni fa.Speriamo solo sia una brutta impressione.

30. Luli says:

Tina, I’ve never read A Moveable Feast. But you are making me want to pick it up. Have you seen the film “Midnight in Paris”? If not, you should see it when it comes out on DVD, because Mr. Hemingway makes an appearance and his character is portrayed spot on.

31. V says:

I really like We Were The Mulvaney’s as a gloomy fall read. Another good one is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. These are good for people who would never read a Kinsella novel at the beach and like something less like doritos and more like fish tacos when it comes to brain junk food. :) Happy Reading!