Oct 09, 2011

Have you been following the Occupy Wall Street movement? Do you agree with the protestors? (I’m taking a little survey to get your thoughts!) The movement in photos.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 9th, 2011 at 11:02 pm. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

21 Responses to “Beauty in Protest?”

1. Liss says:

oh yes, Ive just started reading about this and following. its so depressing hearing all the stories, have you seen the tumblr? I agree with them. I feel like the 99%, in Australia we are the first generation since the great depression that in the current circumstances won own their own home. houses are 10times wages here so forget owning a house. also getting an education doesnt give you job security. i have friends who did the uni things and still cant get a job, or they are working in a supermarket when they have a university education. its all a big joke. and makes me so angry, cynical and depressed.

2. Tina says:

I know. Honestly: They’re describing my life over the last two years. Laid off, had to sell the house, struggling to pay the bills…etc, etc…

The company that laid me off just did another round of cuts, then the managers all gave themselves huge bonuses. Where does it stop!!

3. Liss says:

It makes me all so angry. they dont even need more money, who needs a million dollar salary?? or a 16 million salary like the bank CEOs. I am truley scared for what is going to happen, I think the whole system is on the verge of total collapse

4. Linda Starr says:

yeah I hope they get a cohesive group together and make some realistic demands and stay non violent, 43 million people in this country living below poverty level, my dh has tried to get a job for 1.5 years and none to be had, four places said they’d hire him when work picked up, hasn’t picked up yet.

We sold our home in California just in time before we couldn’t make the payments, dh employer had cut his hours and salary saying times were tough, all the while buying his 17 year old daughter a brand new fanciest model 4wd pickup and horse trailer and a new expensive horse. We moved to Florida thinking it would be better but it’s not. We heard there are jobs in Texas, but we only have one car now. When dh went back to california to get our furniture the daughter had another new pickup seems the one last year wasn’t good enough for her. The employer has cut dh’s coworkers salaries again. Disgusting. Many employers don’t have a conscious any more, they only care about themselves.

People with jobs don’t see what it’s like but we see folks all along the roadside selling whatever they can for next to nothing just to get money for food. We’ve been having garage sales and folks coming to our sales are buying our items to resell at the flea market. People are stealing air conditioners to take them to the recycle yard to get money. Lots of home invasions in broad daylight (and we live in a rural county surrounded by very nice neighborhoods – guess the desperate know where to go for stuff) for money, jewelry, guns, or electronics – all bring the highest amount at the pawn shops or flea markets. The home invaders knock on doors asking for work and then push their way in. they also trash the house before they leave.

People are also saying if you do get a job most employers are treating the employees like slaves, saying take it or leave it, cause they know they can get someone else who’ll kiss their feet. dh went on one interview and 200 people applied. another place had a job fair and didn’t hire anyone – why did they have a job fair if they didn’t have any jobs – it takes fuel to drive to these interviews. they told him they’d hire him and he went back in there three times and finally the fourth time they said they weren’t hiring anyone.

If only they’d put a tariff on foreign imported goods even if they are made by an American company; stop the wars and bring the troops home and have them help rebuild America, but Democrat or Republican it’s always the same old BS and status quo. Food and fuel prices keep going higher and higher, folks will get sick from eating the least expensive food and, well no medical insurance either. I’m counting the days till I get my social security at 62 if I last that long, eight more months, we’re trying to sell our home but no buyers we think we should live in an RV and go where the jobs are at the time, more flexibility.

Chase bank keeps sending me a pre approved credit card once a week – reading the fine print if I missed one payment the interest rate would go up to 31%. My husband is also getting the same letter, you know the printed brochures aren’t cheap. I keep sending the envelope back saying stop sending and they keep sending it. Come to find out the credit reporting agencies sell the names of those with good credit – wtf? How can a credit reporting agency sell my name and address –

The one credit card I have said if I didn’t use it they’d lower my limit so I charged one small item and will pay it off when it comes.

this world is so convoluted, I don’t know if we’ll ever get out of this mess. they say when the Roman Empire fell the rulers were saying it was all ok right up till the last minute.

5. Jules says:

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t agree with the movement! My mother is elderly and has lost so much during the stock market crash and housing crash – she’s for this movement! Bank of America, who we the tax payers bailed out, a long with Citibank raised interest rates on balances on credit cards overnight to 30% and then cancelled the cards ruining our FICO scores. And they did this thousands and thousands of people. The hatred towards many of these institutions is personal because they have ruined our lives AND WE BAILED THEM OUT! No movement starts out cohesively. I hope this movement grows, matures and makes a difference. And for those people who say that it is our fault that we had credit card balances to begin with, our balances were there to pay back medical bills (even though we spend $18,000 a year on medical insurance for our family as small business owners there is a $3,000 deductible on each person). I follow the 99% on Tumblr (hearbreaking) and the informative “The Other 98%” on Facebook. Also, I must mention that it isn’t just aimless young people out protesting. My friends in NYC are out there, the elderly are out there, the laid off used-to-be upper class are out there also.

6. Tina says:

There’s no safety net for the unemployed. It’s truly terrifying. I look at the way our lives are now and I think, this is it. This is the best it will ever be.

7. Tina says:

Do you think this is America’s Arab Spring?

8. Kelly says:

Yes! Yes! 100%!!

9. Lula says:

What Liss says is happening in Australia is also happening in Spain, a lot of people with a university education (me included) are in poorly-paid jobs in the case we can get a job. Also, people can´t pay for their homes and besides losing them they have to go on paying to the banks. Those same banks which had to be rescued by the government and whose directors are getting huge compensations when leaving their jobs. I think there is an Arab Spring worldwide. People are waking up!

10. Teresa says:

I wanted to say No. They don’t have to. But they’ve top their desesperate quota. And me in my cloud nine can’t, honnestly and heartly, condemn what they’re doing as history in the past taught us that these movements achieved greateness in the past. It might not be so easy now – as econimic interests are fearless – but at least they’re being heard, being seen and having people – like all posts before mine prove – identifying with their strugle.

Go!

11. Alexandra says:

I have been following the protests since Day 1, and now that I work in the financial district (not in finance, but our offices are down here none the less), I only stand behind them even stronger. I am so proud to be part of a generation that is going to stand up and fight for what they believe in.

12. Kristin says:

Absolutely important to demonstrate!! About time people begin to stand up for fairness!

13. I think it will be interesting to see what comes of this. If there aren’t enough people who merge together it will all be in vain in the end I’m afraid.

14. Oh I could do that! LOL! Cool shot! Great statue!

15. chic noir says:

yes I do, some things need to change!

16. sécia says:

I’m going to be traveling there in two days… I completely agree that the greed has gotten completely out of control.

♥ sécia

17. Liss says:

Australia is joining!! so proud of Melbourne. Gold Coast would never join. ahh I miss Melbourne right now. http://media.theage.com.au/news/national-news/occupy-wall-street-coming-to-melbourne-2682551.html

18. Maria Speidel says:

We can only hope, right? It seems that the general populace has been very slow to activate. The day the Supreme Court granted corporations the same legal rights as people was a dark one, eh? Here’s hoping the politicians can listen and hear. . . the people are hurting: we need jobs, a plan to move our economy forward, funding for education. . .

I have two children and often think of this in terms of education. Our public schools are dying and yet we are constantly told there is no money for education. Really? I recently heard a report on the radio about the insane, INSANE, amount of money U.S. corporations, like Apple, etc., have stored in accounts that are technically “overseas.” It’s an accounting sleight of hand that allows them not to pay taxes on it. The reporter was saying just that money ALONE would solve so many problems.

It is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. This country has to get its act together.

19. Michele says:

This is a very exciting movement. I hope this is the start of something big. We need change in this U.S. and globally. Too much power is in the hands of corporations and banks. Thanks for posting about this!

20. Tina says:

oh how exciting! Go Melbourne!

21. Katrine says:

I am a life coach and daily I am dealing with people who have lost jobs, want to turn their lives around and are struggling to stay afloat. It’s hard to see the bright side or the silver lining when you’re dealing with dire circumstances. But…I believe that all of this is good because a change is coming.

My favorite saying right now is “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”

Life is difficult for so many of us right now. At the same time, we are facing the rich getting richer. It’s exciting to see so many people finally standing together to say ENOUGH. When we stop focusing on the dead ends, possibilities begin to appear.

All content © 2016 by English Muse