Oct 17, 2011

can't stop reading
007 book bokeh

I just picked up “The Best American Travel Writing 2011.” Sloane Crosley (author of “I was told there’d be cake”) is the editor of this edition. I’m living vicariously at the moment through other people’s journeys to faraway lands. Looking forward to reading Maureen Dowd’s piece, “A Girls Guide to Saudi Arabia.”

What are you reading?

Photo credits. Inese Aleksa and obo-bobolina.

This entry was posted on Monday, October 17th, 2011 at 10:28 pm. It is filed under Blog. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

35 Responses to “What are you reading?”

1. Mary says:

I love travel writing, I am going to look that up!

(I am reading ‘Just My Type’, a book about the history of fonts, which is niche market I suppose :) but it is really interesting!)

2. Vijay says:

I agree – I think I owe my love of traveling partly due to all the accounts of green lands and interesting experiences that I read about :)

I’m currently reading Wodehouse’s “Heavy Weather”. It’s been a blast :D

3. samantha says:

hi tina! ~ reading: “nourishing traditions” by sally fallon with mary g. enig, Ph.D.(isbn: 0-96708973-5)… many a splendid tale to be had of faraway peoples/lands/cuisine ~ with loads of recipes for the foodie at heart!… this book is also peppered with dietary research snippets/myths/truths & plain good old fashioned sense, alongside every page!… big book: 674 pages ~ may take some time to digest!…

4. Naomi Bulger says:

I just finished The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, which I picked up at the airport in Heathrow and read on my way back to Australia. It was lovely, especially as I began to see inside the main character’s ‘disappearing brother’ toward the end.

5. Lisa says:

That sounds like a great book! I love to read about other people’s travels. Sometimes it makes me happy not to live in that place, some times it just gives me a place to dream about.

6. Acacia says:

“The Anthologist” by Nicholson Baker. It’s a meditation on poetry, life and writer’s block as a poet tries to write an introduction to his anthology. It’s great so far, and makes me want to run out and read the poets he references.

• Tina says:

all these sound so great!

• Jenna says:

Anything Sloane Crosley writes, tweets, or edits—I’m so down! Must check it out.

I’m currently reading Jeffrey Eugenides’ The Marriage Plot. It’s like a one-way transport back to my liberal arts college experience. Waiting ten years between each of his books is so, so worth it. I’m trying to savor this one!

• leilani says:

I just finished that a month ago — it was so good! Enjoy!

7. shelley says:

I am currently reading “The Still Point” by Amy Sackville. Briefly, it’s the story of a woman learning about her great-grandparent’s life and marriage while struggling with her own issues complicating her marriage. Honestly, only a bit in and not sure if I want to continue. So, if someone has read it and suggests I keep into it because it will get better… I would love that feedback. ;-)

Also reading the Tartine book on baking bread.

8. Mrs. Parker says:

Just finished Nancy Mitford’s “Highland Fling.” Very enjoyable.

9. sasha says:

Currently splitting my time between “the seven daughters of eve” which is about how our mitacondrial dna can be traced back to one of seven primeval woman. And “the jewel house” which covers the scientific revolution in Elizabethan London. Not exactly edge of your seat excitement but certainly interesting :)

10. Rochelle says:

I am currently reading a book called ‘Its me Anna’
    Its excellent. I can’t put it down.
    Anyone else read it?
    Have a good day :)
    Rochelle.

11. Tonia says:

Still on Wuthering Heights, savouring it and making it last till the weekend when we’re up in Emily’s home town.
    My daughter’s just started Jane Eyre for the first time – think I’m more excited than she is!

12. Martine G says:

I’m reading “Eat, pray, love”. :)

13. Ceres says:

I just finished reading ‘Garden Spells’ by Sarah Addison Allen, which is full of delicious treats, an adorable apple tree, magic and heartache. Now, I am reading ‘Grave Peril’, the third book of ‘The Dresden Files’ by Jim Butcher while I am waiting for my new book order to be delivered, including ‘Abandon’ by Meg Cabot as well as the novels ‘The Sugar Queen’ and ‘Peach Keeper’ by Sarah Addison Allen.

• Alkyoni says:

I hope you like “Abandon” more like I did. Although I love Meg Cabot’s books, I was very disappointed from that one.

Hugs,
      Alkyoni

14. Hannah says:

that sounds fantastic! i love travel writing. if you haven’t already you should try and pick up Maximum City: Bombay lost and found, it’s an amazing piece. I’m still reading Vikram Seth’s A Suitable Boy at the moment- it is going slowly though because I haven’t been finding time to pick it back up!

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

15. Emma says:

I just finished the Help. I loved it.

16. Lily Wells says:

I am reading a Transylvanian trilogy by Miklos Banffy. All about Hungary, Transylvania and Austria during the Empire form the end or 1800 and on. Fascinating and instructing. Also loved the “Gourmet Rhapsody” and the “The Elegance of a Hedgehog” by Muriel Barbery.One of my favourite books is still William Boyd’s “Any Human Heart”. Breathtaking.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

Lily Wells-Lorentzen
    Beijing

17. Hannah B. says:

Love Sloane Crosley! I’m currently reading Fifth Avenue: 5AM about the making of Breakfast at Tiffany’s… magical!

18. Alkyoni says:

I just finished “Chocolat” by Joanne Harris and I’m starting “Fragile things” by Neil Gaiman.
    By the way, these are lovely photos.

Hugs,
    Alkyoni

19. Right now, I’m reading Norwegian Wood by Murakami. It’s taken me a while as I have a newborn! Speaking of travel writing, I love Bill Bryson!

xo, Anna of (green gable)

20. ta says:

I am reading Add more ~ing To your Life by Gabrielle Bernstein. And i’m reading some books of poetry by Mary Oliver.

21. Samantha says:

I am reading Flannery O’connor’s A Good Man is Hard to Find. Very into short stories lately too!

xo
    Sami

22. leilani says:

All of these need to be added to my list… gah. Just picked up the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie today, it’s brilliant. Really suits the fall weather, with all it’s images of dark violet school uniforms and Edinburgh tweeds. Other than that all of my books lately have been on talk radio & broadcasting regulation (course work). Not very interesting, unfortunately.

23. Luli says:

I’m reading a collection of short stories by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt, The Woman with the Bouquet. Let us know how you like the Girls Guide to Saudi. Hahaha. That sounds awesome.

24. Nelly says:

I’m reading The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco. I love his novels.

[I'm also reading Book 1 of The Wheel of Time series, but it's too geeky to be proud of]

25. Krystal Lee says:

i just read ‘me, myself & prague’ which was really great.

and one of my all time favourite books is ‘lemniscate’ which i highly recommend for the beautiful travel experiences in the 70′s

i also live vicariously through these books, one day!!!

krystal x

26. Alex says:

Ahh, I love Sloane Crosley! I just finished I Was Told There’d Be Cake and I am reading How Did You Get This Number? now! The Best American Travel Writing 2011 is next on my list!

27. Michelle says:

Slow Love, How I lost my Job, Put on Pyjamas and Found Happiness. A sit back and relax kinda read.

28. Molly says:

I just read an American Heiress — which was so wonderful. It’s always nice to read a bit of historical fiction and pretend to be from somewhere else. I also just read The First Husband, which was short, fun and entertaining.

29. Tori says:

For pleasure I am reading Jeffrey Eugenides’ The Marriage Plot and for coursework I am reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

30. Saranna says:

I’m just finishing up Dumas’s The Three Musketeers.