Nov 14, 2011

I have to be strong

We got one of those calls this weekend that every parent dreads: There’s been an accident. Your daughter was injured. She’s unresponsive. Go to the emergency room.

It happened on Friday night. Our daughter, Isabella, was at a football game with friends. Apparently they were goofing around during the game and she fell backwards, hitting her head hard on a concrete slab. She drifted in and out of consciousness on the ride to the hospital.
Her friends called us crying. “She won’t open her eyes…”

The following hours were the worst of my life, waiting for the results of two CAT scans. I wanted more than anything to turn back time and to have her safe at home.

Finally, after midnight, we heard from the neurologist that everything was ok.
She suffered a mighty concussion.
As I’m writing this now, she’s sleeping peacefully in her bed. And I am so thankful.

Just catching my breath…

(Illustration by Lu Green.)

This entry was posted on Monday, November 14th, 2011 at 9:08 am. It is filed under Blog. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

61 Responses to “A Terrifying Weekend”

1. Alicia says:

I am so glad that everything is okay! I can’t imagine going through that!

2. Oh my goodness, that sounds like the scariest night ever. I am so glad she is doing better now and resting safely at home!

3. yikes… that IS terrifying! i’m glad she’s going to be OK.

4. Carla says:

Oh goodness!! Good to hear she’s doing ok now! -sends every hug-

5. Just watch her carefully, the concussion may cause her to have dizziness when she stands up after being seated, when she bends backward to lie down, etc. I think this is normal, but just be aware. So so happy she’s OK. I know exactly what this feels like, believe me. xx’s Marsha

6. vanessa joie says:

oh Tina how awful! I’m so glad she’s ok and that she’s safe at home. xo

7. Mary says:

Oh my gosh how scary! So glad she’s okay.

8. Leni says:

My thoughts and prayers are with your family, here’s a pretty nice song to calm down http://youtu.be/yLP_wl3LQuU Find Home – The Honey Trees

9. Sarah says:

Hope you are all doing well- so good to hear everyone is home. **Hugs**

10. Debbe says:

Our children are always our babies no matter how old……thank God she is ok

11. Rowena says:

Thank goodness she’s alright and safe in her own bed now. Take care!

12. Christine says:

Thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and you.

13. Sandrine says:

Oh dear ! That was indeed a terrifying weekend. I’m not a parent yet but I can only imagine all the worst case scenarios you must have thought about. I’m glad your daughter is safe and sound.

14. Mayrozez says:

Oh, goodness, Tina. I’m so sorry! So glad she’s okay.

15. G says:

Good Lord. Thank God, it’s gone away

16. liza says:

Oh no! That is awful. I’m so glad she is resting at home with you now! My thoughts for healing are with all of you.

17. Lee says:

So glad everything seems to be alright now. Very scary indeed.

18. Amy B. says:

So sorry you had to go through that. Glad she’s OK now.

19. My heart aches for you right now! As a mother, I can imagine the fear you’re going through! My thoughts are with you! Hugs, Bronwen

20. Cheryl says:

Terrifying indeed!
    So glad she is ok!

21. So glad, your precious daughter is fine now, Tina!

22. Holy cow, Tina. OMG. I’m so sorry you had to endure that. But so thankful she’s OK! Oh wow … wishing you all the best with a speedy recovery.

23. dana says:

the 25th sigh of relief and empathy. take care of you and yours

24. Shokoofeh says:

Aw dear Tina, I can imagine how hard it was for you. And I am so glad that she’s fine now. :)

25. Sorry you had to endure this but we are thankful you have good results.

26. brian miller says:

oh goodness…it is scary when our children get hurt…i am glad that she is ok…

27. Ellen says:

So very sorry you had to experience this….it’s awful to feel that helpless as a parent.
    Take care of you too…..smiles.

28. sami says:

omg, you poor poor thing. i didn’t know you were a mama! hope everything is alright!!!!!!!

xo
    sami

29. My heart just jumped into my throat! I am so glad she is okay. The way it was to recieve a (somewhat) similar phone call about my father was the worst that I have ever experienced, and when people say it feels worse with your children I cannot even comprehend it.
    I hope that she’ll soon be up and about again, and that you and your husband can breathe normally again too.
    Kind regards,
    TheDandelionChronicles

30. Wow. My eyes welled up wtih fear for you as I read your words. I’m so glad she is safe and sound.

31. Molly says:

So glad she’s alright. Sending positive thoughts your way.

32. Kat says:

So pleased to hear your daughter is safe and sound — how utterly terrifying!

33. There is nothing worse as a parent then getting a call like that – best wishes to you and she, hope she’s feeling better soon:)

34. Liss says:

oh love, my heart just sunk when I read the first few lines. I’m soooo happy to hear she is ok. what a scare that must of been!!

35. Virginia says:

I went through something similar earlier this year – it is terrifying and nightmarish. My son is okay, and it sounds as if your daughter should be okay. I’ll keep checking for updates.

36. Naomi Bulger says:

Oh my goodness, just horrifying. I’m so glad for you that your daughter is ok. I imagine there are a lot of deep breaths and a lot of prolonged hugs in your household.

37. Kelly says:

Sending big hugs. I’m so sorry that you had to go through that but grateful all is well.

38. Katie says:

Oh man. I am so glad to hear she is okay now–what a precious gift it is to hear that the person you love will be all right after all! I hope you have a peaceful, breath-catching sort of week.

39. I am so, so relieved to hear that this story ended well. Sending good thoughts to your entire family.

40. Annelise says:

Oh no! I’m not a parent so I can only imagine what that must have been like. Not at all pleasant :( I’m glad she’s okay. x

41. morgan zoe says:

so glad that she’s ok. as a parent i am always on panic mode.

42. Jen says:

I am so glad she’s home safe with you!!

43. Kathy C. says:

I’m so glad she’s OK. Life is so very precious and fragile. It must have been terrifying. I had the scare of my life when my 18 year old daughter went missing during a camping trip. We got the call in the early morning, a few hours into a police search. Life goes by in slow motion. She was fine, but even afterwards, home safe and sound, I just wanted to curl up in the fetal position and rock back and forth. I know how you feel.

• Tina says:

how scary!! It pushes you to consider what life would be like without them, and that’s terrifying. On Friday, I realized how poorly equipped i am to endure such a devastating loss.

44. Mary says:

Oh my goodness! I am so glad she is home safe with you and all is well.

45. stephanie says:

bless u all! sending isabella healing vibes :)

46. Melissa says:

I am so grateful that your daughter is all right.

47. Emma says:

What a horrible night. I’m so glad she’s ok! A parent’s worst nightmare I don’t doubt.

48. Kailey says:

Tina, I am so sorry you had to go through this awful experience, and so thankful to hear she is alright. I’m hoping for a speedy recovery <3

49. Richard says:

God Bless Tina, i trust with lots of TLC and bed rest Isabella will be right as rain in no time. <3

50. LJR says:

I’m happy to hear everything is OK. It’s relieving to know she has responsible friends… what a scary thing for everyone to deal with. So glad she’s home with you now!

51. Alicia says:

Glad to hear she is doing okay! Definitely a terrifying experience.

52. Tonia says:

Oh god how awful! Glad to hear she’s ok now, if a little dopey from the concussion.
    It is the call every parent dreads, bringing about a special heart-plummeting feel all of it’s own.
    Wishing her speedy recovery.

53. Oh how terrible for you all ! I know exactly what it is like, mine was “your daughter has been in an accident and is on her way into surgery ” … I am so glad your girl is home and healing. besos, C

54. Mary Beth says:

Oh Tina, I am so sorry to hear this but so glad she is ok. I didn’t even know you had a child. I hope her recovery is smooth and uneventful.

• Tina says:

I generally only write about my family when there’s a huge crisis! I should do more posts about them during good times too…

55. Squirrell says:

How awful, thank goodness she is alright.

56. penney says:

Dear Tina,
    I just caught this, and I am SO happy to hear that Isabella is OK! How aweful! I know how you must feel..
    Big hugs to her, and you folks too!
    xo,
    Penney

57. This is so scary! I’m so glad that she’s ok, but wow how terrifying that must have been. I can’t imagine.

58. Scentabulous says:

Tina, you poor thing! What a horror. Thankfully, a happy ending. I will be thinking of you both … You need healing energy now too! And I will take this opportunity to thank you for your continued and inspirational work. I just love reading your blog every day. Oh – tell your sweet daughter to drink a lot of water – hydrate those brain cells. Hugs, Anne

59. Krissy says:

Eek, Tina! That sounds absolutely awful! I’m sure the last thing you want is to be reminded of it now, but my beloved condolences. And I’m glad she’s okay now. :)