Nov 29, 2011

I spend so much time on the computer, I figured why not just curl up with my laptop in a cozy chair? With a few adjustments, I was able to ditch my desk for good. Here’s how:

First off,  I added a couple accent tables and lamps
alongside an oversized chair in our living room….

I found a few colorful accessories to add a little cheer to the many hours I spend blogging and writing — and reading other people who blog and write.

I pulled together every cent I could find for an awesome laptop —
it was the best money I’ve ever spent on myself:

Now I’m both farsighted and nearsighted. BIG reading glasses are the best for looking at computer screens, I think.  Arm warmers are essential for late nights (like now) typing near a drafty window in late-fall/winter…

Best part of working in an oversized chair: There’s also room for both cat and little dog!!!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 at 1:03 am. It is filed under Blog. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

17 Responses to “I ditched my desk…”

1. Liss says:

I love my laptop too!! I sleep with it next to me in bed. haha. your workspace looks much the same a mine :) but switch blankets for a fan…getting so hot here!

• E.M. says:

You summer girl! You’re so lucky!! I was remembering how we became such good friends: It’s afternoon on Australia’s Gold Coast when I’m having another late night on the computer in Los Angeles!

2. Jen says:

I actually just bought a new little desk to give myself a break from my couch! I’ve found that I like to hop back and forth – it makes me feel a little less stir crazy ;) Enjoy your new “office”! I hope it brings you many awesome hours of writing!

3. Looks great. I work like this and I am finding my back aches somewhat _I’m considering one of those little tables that is like a “U” shape sideways, so the legs can slide under my chair and I can work on a hard surface for a change. Also the computer becomes hot even with a cushion on my lap.
    I will not go back to a desk.

My best
    Helen xx

4. Anna says:

Sounds so comfy I don’t think I’d ever leave it!! I do love the idea of having a little dog curled up with me as well though, need to get one first, it’s always on my longing for list! :-)

5. Susan says:

I did this too all last winter but….I killed my back. Back at the desk looking at my flowers… hope it works for you:) xoxo

6. Looks wonderful, I love that big chair! I’d love to sink into that with a blanket and a good book

7. Rowena says:

I love the idea of cozying up in a big comfy chair with my laptop. Must look into one now :)

8. Katie says:

I would much prefer to work from the sofa or a comfy chair than my desk, but I always have a problem staying awake when I do! Perhaps our sofa is too comfy…

9. I feel the same! I spend so much time on the computer its crazy…its a mystery how I haven’t needed glasses yet.

I love your new additions, it looks like you’re going to be cozy, warm and comfy all winter long.

10. Mary says:

This looks snuggly :) I work like this- I can’t seem to sit up straight, I have to “flop” somewhere :)..although transferring outside now as it’s getting summery here too!

11. Carla says:

Oh that sounds sooo comfy! I probably wouldn’t get anything done! I’d probably end up falling asleep xD!

12. Kacie says:

The fixed up site is look so great! Out with the old huh?
    Anyway… I also work in my cozy armchair and am wanting to make it my “office”. My hips are kind of screwed up so I really can’t sit for long hours at the computer at a desk. I looooove that chair! Where is it from?

Kacie

13. {gemmifer} says:

What a great change–enjoy your new space! Is this the chair you got for yourself? It looks like the IKEA armchair I’ve always pictured in my apartment bedroom… curling up with a good book on a wintry day… now if only I had the space for it!

14. Alexa is much more of a customer reporting form of instrument, not SEO variety tool…many thanks for studying!

15. Hannah says:

This totally makes me want to ditch my desk, too!!!