Jan 24, 2012

Have you heard this amazing song? It was written by Justin Vernon for his folk band Bon Iver and then re-recorded by Birdy, who made it into an international hit. There’s been lots of speculation on what it’s about, but recently Vernon gave an interview explaining the meaning and talking about the relationship that prompted him to write song. It’s about a love, of course, but the sort of love that’s destructive and unsustainable.

Anyone else out there who likes this song?

Illustration, above, by Contra Bellee.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 at 8:17 pm. It is filed under Blog, illustrations, Thumbs. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

25 Responses to “Skinny Love Explained”

1. Shawnee says:

yes, i adore this song. love.

2. Rachel says:

oh dear, I do not like this version. I have loved Bon Iver for a long time, and have always thought this a fabulous song. I don’t think she at all does it justice.

3. odessa says:

i will always love this song. always.
    i remembered watching a vid of bon iver live on jools holland and was so blown away by it. and like rachel above, i’m not sure if i like this version either. justin’s is very raw and emotional.

4. Thea says:

I’ve loved this song ever since I first hear Bon Iver sing it. The cover’s nice…still not a tad on the original though. It’s so beautiful.

5. Thea says:

I’ve loved this song ever since I first heard Bon Iver sing it. The cover’s nice…still not a tad on the original though. It’s so beautiful.

6. Tim says:

I have been considering getting this very phrase tattooed between my ribs almost since the first time I heard the song. It definitely struck a chord with me.

7. Hannah says:

i’ve never heard this song! thanks for sharing

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

8. Mariana says:

I’d never heard the Birdy cover- I’m a big fan of Bon Iver though :)
    The song is beautiful.

9. Katie says:

This is a gorgeous song. I can’t believe I hadn’t heard it. I think I like both versions quite a bit!

10. Maria says:

This has been one of my favorite songs since I first heard of Bon Iver. Their original version is incredible.

11. I’ve been listening to her album non-stop lately.

12. I have yet to hear the original version but ever since hearing Birdy’s I bought her album and it going on repeat! Her voice is incredible, and she’s just 15! Crazy talent…

13. amazing song…the birdy version is just so beautiful. i love his explanation.

14. Ha – I’m not even going to listen to the other version – I love the original too much – so empty and quiet:)

The Blossom Shed Beauty Blog

15. Coco says:

Totally. In. Love. ~ thanks for enlightening me to this. I’ve had it on repeat for an hour now.

16. Carla says:

I love the Bon Iver version. I dunno what it is about it though.. hmm. Thank you for the explanation, and sharing the cover version!

17. alicia says:

I actually love both versions, which seems to be a minority on the comments here.

It’s nice to know the meaning behind this song. I’ve always wondered. Was Bon Iver the one with 6 kids or was that the guy behind Iron & Wine?

18. Misty says:

Her voice is beautiful. Thank you for sharing what Justin Vernon was writing about. Means even more now. I’ve never heard this song by anyone. Guess this is my lucky day, I will now go check out the Bon Iver version.

19. {gemmifer} says:

Very much so, but in the original version. Birdy does have a lovely voice, but Justin Vernon sings it with much more emotion.

20. Krissy says:

Such a beautiful song. I love the original, but I think in this case, this is one of the few songs I prefer the cover over more than the original. Sorry Bon Iver!
    xo.

21. maria carla says:

di – vi – na Love this song and bon iver ♥

22. Cie Cie says:

I love Birdys version and Ed Sheerans version.

23. Adrian Heath says:

I think they are both wonderful versions – here is my version of Skinny Love that I just released and is a free download for just 2 weeks. Enjoy! http://adrianheath.bandcamp.com/track/skinny-love

24. Lisa says:

I have always loved this song. Thanks for the meaning behind the words, gives it even more emotion if that is possible. I think Birdy does a great job. Thanks for sharing.

All content © 2014 by The English Muse