Jan 18, 2012

007 book bokeh

I have to restrain myself from asking this question every week…I love to hear your answers because you guys are so smart and well read. I can’t wait for the weekend when I can spend half the day reading a good book on the couch…

Which books do you recommend?

(Photo by obo-bobolina.)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 at 10:58 pm. It is filed under Blog, Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

56 Responses to “What are you reading?”

1. Molly says:

I just finished The Provence Cure for the Brokenhearted and State of Wonder. Two totally different books, but really great reads. I love when you ask this question!

2. Jen says:

Ooh, a favourite question of mine also… I’m (sort of) reading ‘The Paris Enigma’… but will put it aside for these two books: http://craftytype.blogspot.com/2012/01/books-for-holidays.html

3. Teri says:

Just finished The Historian and The Help and now on to Area 51. Also in the middle of countless others I might return to at any time!

4. Tonia says:

Reading Isabelle by Annette Kobak: a very well-written biography of an eccentric but inspiring woman. Highly recommended – if you can track down a copy!

5. Hausfrau says:

I just finished The Country Life, by Rachel Cusk–what a gorgeous piece of writing!

6. AnDee says:

I am enjoying Edward Rutherfurd’s The Forest…I’ve read many of his works and find them quite good. I usually read several types of books at once…So there is National Geographic’s Book of Photography {very good}, The Artist’s Way by Cameron {again} and The Assassin’s Cloak {diarist anthology which has an entry for most days of the year…}.

Words are my saviour. I can’t wait to read everything I lay hands on…They keep me hoping.
    xo

7. Vonnegut’s “Hocus Pocus,” although I only recently finished a collection of essays by Walter Benjamin entitled “Illuminations.”

8. viria says:

I am reading ‘never let me go’. I wanted to read it instantly once I watched the movie. Haven’t finished it yet but getting there, not sure if you have read it?

9. Anne M. says:

The memoir, Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton– the chef who owns and operates Prune in NYC. What an interesting but hard life she’s had. She also has a MFA from the University of Michigan. Worth reading!

10. Stephanie says:

I have a million recommendations (see my blog for a reading index!) but my current read is Cold Mountain and it is AWESOME. I’m only halfway finished and it already comes highly recommended by me :)

11. Mary says:

I’ve been getting to know Sebastian Barry’s books. His writing is wonderful. Next up is Hunger Games – I think I want to know what all the hype is about!

12. Hazel says:

Just finished David Gilmour’s “The Film Club”. A real story of a father and his floundering teenage son as they work out adolescent problems amid the backdrop of the myriad films they watch and analyze. It’s a light read. I loved it. I highly recommend for fathers of teenaged boys those interested in film (Gilmour is a critic).

13. I always cheer when you tell what you are reading and when you ask us! So many books so little time!
    Just started the classic ‘Jane Eyre’. I read it once for school but never liked it that much, but since I want to write my dissertation on ‘Wide Sargasso Sea’ by Jean Rhys (it is sort of the prequel to Jane Eyre. About the mad Mrs Rochester!) I figured that I had to give the main story a go.
    So far, I think my main aversion to ‘Jane Eyre’ is Rochester because I am quite liking it these first five chapters…

14. sasha says:

Just finished “the daughter of smoke and bone”, “the sisters brothers”, and “the historian”. Currently, finally reading the girl without the dragon tattoo. And researching a trip to Sweden.

15. nanne says:

going back & forth between The Kitchen Counter Cooking School & The Sherlockian….also very much enjoying reading through darinna allen’s The Forgotten Skills of Cooking cookbook.

i love it when you ask this question….it’s fun to see what others are reading.

nanne

16. Señorita Andalucíana says:

Reading “Nurture Shock” right now, not a parent but an incredible analysis of current literature on child development. An easy read too!

17. This winter I decided to get into some Russian Lit. I read The Overcoat by N. Gogol and now I am reading Crime and Punishment by F. Dostoyevsky

18. Erin says:

I highly recommend anything by Susanna Kearsley…I cannot get enough of her writing style and genre!

• Petra says:

After reading your post, I looked into this author, never heard of her, she’s not translated into Dutch (I live in the Netherlands), so I ordered a copy of Mariana… Finished this morning… Sigh… What a wonderful read. Loved the story! Which one do you recommend I should read next?

19. Suse says:

Compass Rose by John Casey (He also wrote Spartina)

20. Jess Lucas says:

I have just finished The book thief, It amazing if you haven’t read it, I think its been out a while, but I really loved it. Sooooooo beautifully written:)

21. Kolbie says:

I am currently Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and the Sherlock Holmes stories. Water for Elephants is really good so far, I haven’t seen the movie yet but I heard it was also good. Sherlock Holmes are old favorites that come in handy when I really need a break!

22. Kolbie says:

Speaking of Sherlock Holmes, I recently started watching the BBC series, Sherlock, and I think it’s fantastic! A television show, yes, but based on a book so I think it’s relevant.

23. I’m reading “The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol”. It’s full of wonderful stories, and Gogols descriptions of St. Petersburg makes me want to move to Russia right away. Amazing author!

24. Sally says:

I’m just finishing One Day by David Nicholls. Maybe I’m a sap and a little behind on this one, but I can’t put it down!

25. i’ve recently started the dud avocado by elaine dundy. really enjoying it so far!

26. CarolGK says:

Reading the new Charles Dickens biography by Claire Tomalin. I think we should expect to see a lot of interest in Dickens this year as 2012 is the 200th anniversary of his birth.

27. Mandy says:

I’m reading “The World to Come” by Dara Horn. It’s pretty good — mixing history, romance and a rollicking story, and it reminds me a lot of Jonathan Safran Foer’s works.

28. Rachael says:

I am re-reading an Elizabeth Berg book called ‘The Art of Mending’. I have all her books, and I love them all. This book is about a family, and a sister in that family has issues with the mother (abusive issues) and is trying to sort it out. But it’s told from the older sister’s voice.
    I’ve been reading Elizabeth Berg’s books for years now, and I really love how she writes.

29. Andrea says:

Just got A Jane Austen Education by William Deresiewicz and the first few pages have been great! Btw, I love when you ask this question and have received a lot of recommendations from your readers!

30. Jennifer K Gonnella says:

I just finished reading PD James: Death Comes to Pemberly and found it very enjoyable. Very fast, easy read. Very familiar…nice. Now on to George RR Martin’s A Dance with Dragon’s. I am hooked….devoured the first four books(loaned to me by my son) and can’t wait to get started.

31. Andrea says:

It’s not a recent book but Colin Thubron’s ‘Shadow of the Silk Road’ was the best thing I read last year. Travel writing at it’s most engaging. You’ll learn a lot about Central Asia and about thousands of years of history, too.

32. Samantha says:

i love that you ask this question and then i get to greedily read all the responses. i am just finishing up super sad true love story- it takes a bit of getting used to- but it’s pretty good!

xo
    sami

33. I’m reading ‘New York’ by Edward Rutherford (borrowed from my Mum – I read her copy of ‘London’ by the same author twice many moons ago). It’s big and heavy! I’m also halfway through ‘Revolutionary Road’, but I’m finding it hard to go back to.

34. Sarah says:

I just finished Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. A novel that is all about New York, New Yorkers, and the World Trade Center…yet is not directly about any of these things at all. It was a different approach and a very refreshing read. Highly recommend it.

35. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy :D

36. Nick D says:

Tina – Not sure if you’re into contemporary biographies but, if you have not already read it – the “Steve Jobs” book is a great read. I’m about half way through and have found it fascinating! Love your blog – THANK YOU!

37. Hannah B. says:

Finishing Mindy Kaling’s book (hilarious!) and just starting a Debbie Millman book called How to Be a Great Graphic Designer. I saw her lecture last night here in Knoxville, and she was so inspiring. She also has a new book out called Brand Thinking that is next on my list. Both are collections of fascinating interviews with people that are at the top of their field.

38. Janet says:

I read PD James’s DEATH COMES TO PEMBERLEY last night. If you haven’t read it, Julian Barnes’s A SENSE OF AN ENDING is a wonder.

39. Stephanie says:

I am finishing The Remains of the Day, and on to watch the movie. I always read the book before I see the movie!

40. kirsty helen says:

The God of Small Things – Arundhati Roy. Am in love with writing. Incredible.

41. Tina says:

I’m currently rereading (after 30 yrs….*horrors to admit*) Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Trust me, 30 yrs. ago, I didn’t get into it at all and was confused by it. Today, however, I love it! This is a cute idea, this asking what we are reading.

42. cori says:

blink by malcolm gladwell. its about instincts and decision making. although it seems really complex and psychological, it is wildly interesting and easy to follow. i can’t put it down!

43. ta says:

I am reading the Elegance of the Hedgehog right now. Its awesome.

44. Cristina says:

Just finished Antonia Fraser’s biography of Marie Antoinette late last night. I began the book with the usual interest in the queen’s style, but am now a bit of an admirer of the lady. :) Next on my shelf is You Are Not a Gadget — although with all the great recommendations here I’m rethinking my options!

45. {gemmifer} says:

I loved “A State of Wonder” by Anne Patchett SO much, then followed it up with “Brandwashed” by Martin Lindstrom, a really interesting and slightly frightening book about how the marketing industry has been swaying our buying habits and the methods they’re developing to make it even more effective. Then I read Mindy Kaling’s “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?” which is HILIARIOUS. I loved it even more than Tina Fey’s book. I’m going to jot down a bunch of the books in others’ comments here as I’m in need of some more good reads!

46. Lisa says:

Just finished Lisa Genova’s “Left Neglected” and really liked it. Still trying to decide what to read next.

47. Jenny K. says:

Dido on the “Hunger Games” trilogy!! You won’t be able to put them down!!!

48. “The Marriage Plot” is Jeffery Eugenides new novel. It was so good. I don’t usually read anything but classical literature, but was drawn to it b/c the heroine is an English major stuck in a love triangle, plus it addresses depression and spirituality.