Feb 21, 2012

Hello friends and readers of English Muse,  Christina from a wild civility here posting while Tina is away in Paris. I am thrilled to be guest blogging, as this is one of my favorite blogs, and I typically pin just about every image. Bits & Pieces about me: I am simply a lover of books, beginning Masters work in English, hoping to transfer my love of reading into a career soon.  Today, I thought I’ld share some thoughts on an old love, poetry:

Oh, the great English poets : Milton, Spenser, Chaucer
and the lovely American poets: Whitman, Dickinson, Longfellow
just to name a few…

The questions have been asked for ages:
What is the purpose of poetry?
Is it to create something beautiful (Edgar Allan Poe)?
Or is it intended to lead to virtue (Sir Philip Sidney)?
Should we approach it technically, noting the sense in the sound (Robert Frost)?

I suppose the question now, in our age, is:
Where does poetry fit in our daily lives?
In an age where production and consumption are high priorities
meaning, how we (as a culture) often associate value primarily with utility,
Where does poetry live in our world?

For that answer, I turn to the flowers.
Objects of beauty, emotion, and also
form, the fruit of hard labor, and life.
I think that poetry — and flowers — both live on to remind us of value.
To value one another … not merely because of one’s usefulness,
but because of breath in the lungs, because one simply is.

Where does poetry fit in your world?

[thanks for having me Tina, and English Muse readers]
all images from one of my favorite spots in the world: greenhouses in my home town

— Christina @ a wild civility

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 at 9:41 pm. It is filed under authors, Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

17 Responses to “The Great Reminder::”

1. sécia says:

I think in poetry sometimes. Is that weird? ;)

♥ sécia

2. Marthe says:

I write and read poetry when I’m anxious and stressed. Sometimes I write on my phone right there and then!

For me, poetry fits in in my daily life as a way to express and investigate my emotions.

3. sofia says:

Poetry for me is just life. I read poetry daily all types of poetry and I find poetry in everyday life :)

4. Mariana says:

Poetry to me, is life. I don’t read it daily, but I find when I go back to poems I’ve read before, it’s like reading them for the first time. I learn, I enjoy, I have fun with poetry.
    [oh, hello, I’m a new follower of yours now :) ]

5. Emily says:

I’m not a fan of poetry, but I do love to READ!!! =)

6. Megan says:

This post is so close to my heart! I’m an interdisciplinary student, minoring in English. I’m finishing up an undergraduate thesis right now that asks this exact question – what does poetry (and fiction) do for us, and how does it work towards this end?
    I’m taking an approach based in cognitive science for my answer, but as systematic as that sounds I take comfort in the fact that I’ll never truly capture the beauty and emotion we find in literature. If I’ve found any answer to this question, it’s that literature does many things, too many things for us to fully comprehend. It’s the most powerful technology we’ve ever created, with the most expansive effects.

• Christina says:

Love your thoughts, Megan! Your obvious love for the world of literature and poetry encourages my own efforts in the field!

7. For me poetry is art in words personal, moving, amusing, silly, political, informative……… it all has a place and caters for different tastes and purposes.

• Christina says:

Yes, Elizabeth! I love that poetry can also be wonderfully amusing and silly…Billy Collins can really make me laugh.

8. Tanya says:

That was a lovely thought to start the day, thanks. Poetry is such a treat really and rarely do we get much of it these days. Thanks for the reminder to listen up for those dancing, tumbling, printed words as the days go by….

9. Diana says:

I’m not a big fan of reading poetry; as someone with an MA in English, this is quite a shameful confession for me to make. However, I simply adore hearing it read aloud. I think we sometimes forget poetry was meant to be spoken, meant to be listened to. Poetry, to sum up, is verbal music!

10. Poetry for me in my daily life is a shortcut to literary beauty; soft, bold, strong, musical, graphical, and I like to try to know my favourite ones by heart.
    Sometimes, poems say what I feel in shorter terms and more clearly too. They comfort me in that way. That, and also that I always have room for a slip of paper with a poem scribbled upon it, tucked away in my pocket.
    Through poetry, I feel stronger.

11. Lizzet says:

Love your comparison… and well, it is undeniably true! I am very particular about poetry and to be honest I don’t read poetry, I tend to go back to my favourites. I don’t do the same with flowers, I always bring home the ones in season, which makes me think that I should have the same approach with poetry.