Feb 26, 2012

I came across a letter which F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote his daughter, Scottie, when she was 11. He gives simple and yet important advises on life to Scottie towards the end of the letter!

After reading it, I thought that I definitely should share it with you, dear English Muse readers! Reading it gave me very much of courage, hope and motivation, I hope it would do the trick for you as well :)

Here comes the list of F. Scott Fitzgerald:

Things to worry about:

Worry about courage
Worry about cleanliness
Worry about efficiency
Worry about horsemanship

Things not to worry about:

Don’t worry about popular opinion
Don’t worry about dolls
Don’t worry about the past
Don’t worry about the future
Don’t worry about growing up
Don’t worry about anybody getting ahead of you
Don’t worry about triumph
Don’t worry about failure unless it comes through your own fault
Don’t worry about mosquitoes
Don’t worry about flies
Don’t worry about insects in general
Don’t worry about parents
Don’t worry about boys
Don’t worry about disappointments
Don’t worry about pleasures
Don’t worry about satisfactions

Things to think about:

What am I really aiming at?
How good am I really in comparison to my contemporaries in regard to:

(a) Scholarship
(b) Do I really understand about people and am I able to get along with them?
(c) Am I trying to make my body a useful instrument or am I neglecting it?

With dearest love,

Daddy

Wise words, don’t you agree? If only we could internalize them in the course our daily lives…  And, don’t worry about insects in general, I wish I could do this ;)

Guest Post by Gulfem@All Happy Things Around

Photo Credits List of Note and Nantucket Youth)

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 26th, 2012 at 8:59 am. It is filed under Blog, Books, Icons. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

16 Responses to “Things Not to Worry About…”

1. Great posting. Good to read in our challenging times. I just wanted to say Hello and encourage you to keep up the good work, you are a talented lady. Take good care Tina. Regards, Laurie Lyon (was Klaue)

2. Lovely Post. I am struck also how much he looks like Tom Hiddleston, who played him in Midnight in Paris. Thanks for sharing this.

3. Horsemanship? Hilarious. He may have been a tortured soul with an even more spectral wife, but what an eloquent and honest man.

4. cori says:

wow, she must have been suuuper finicky about bugs.
    wise words from such an incredible writer nevertheless. i guess we could all learn a little something from his letter – what a great find!

5. suse says:

We grew up down the street from the Lanahans (Scottie’s first husband was Jack Lanahan and she had four children by him). She later married Grove Smith. The kids were great – their household was always a crazy mish-mash of creative things going on but there was also an undercurrent of sadness…Tim committed suicide and a neighborhood child died in their swimming pool…thanks for sharing this.

• Nancy says:

Suse—is there a way I can contact you? Your blog doesn’t list an email. I’d like to hear more about this.

6. Gulfem says:

Thank you for your all lovely and encouraging comments ;)

7. In general, wonderful advice. If only it were easier to put words into action!
    Warm regards.

8. olivia says:

wise words.. thanks for sharing.. he gave some wonderful advice!

9. Joy says:

If only I can call Fitzgerald my dad! Great list.

10. Oh, I always worry about the insects !
    I agree with Joy, I would like to call him Dad too. How lovely to have a father who wrote lists like this for his child.
    besitos. C

11. Mariana says:

This was truly a beautiful post :) and some wonderful advice from an amazing/inspiring author!
    Love that first picture too.

12. Hannah says:

this is a fantastic post! some very wise words from a brilliant writer

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

13. Andrea says:

Thanks for posting this. It was just what I was looking for today. I’ve reposted it on my blog.

14. mlleparadis says:

i was a little disappointed with fitzgerald after reading “moveable feast”. but i couldn’t agree more with only sticking to about 5 things to worry about!

15. Love this. Such wise and touching words.

All content © 2014 by The English Muse