Feb 08, 2012

getting the day started

I was clearing out a couple boxes and found an old copy of “Thomas Paine’s Rights of Man,” by Christopher Hitchens. I’ve been watching a lot of presidential debates recently so it seemed like a fitting book to read in an election year. I love Hitch’s writing anyway…Will be missed.

What are you reading?

Photo by Perfect Bound.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 8th, 2012 at 10:46 pm. It is filed under Blog, Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

42 Responses to “What are you reading this week?”

1. Bernieland says:

I’m reading the “BorgiaBride” which is an historic writing about a woman(not Lucrezia) who posioned the Borgia pope.Half fiction,and half history:-)Everybody could enjoy who are interested in history…The next one I will read is called “Marie Antoinette”.These books are not classic and probably no one’s going to remember who was the writer, but I just love this era:-)Apart of these,my favourite writers Kundera,Vonnegut,Remarque,Thomas Mann, etc.Nice blog,Bernie

2. Alena says:

I’ve just bought a couple of perfect books: F.S. Fitzgerald “The Great Gatsby” (Yes I haven’t read this yet:) and George Orwell “Donw and out in Paris and London”. Cannot wait to start reading them! But I’m studing Czech and in purpose of practise my czech I’m trying not to read anything but czech. So, Karel Čapek “Krakatit” is on my bed table, if you know what it is.

3. Hornbacher, “Wasted” after having recently finished Vonnegut’s “Hocus Pocus” – excluding everything I’m reading for grad school (Tomeo, Freud, Althusser, Kant, Jakobson).

4. Hausfrau says:

I’m finally reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I want to read it before I see the movie!

5. Anne M. says:

I’m reading “The Descendants” by Kaui Hart Hemmings. I wonder if the movie, “The Descendants” will win the Oscar for best movie? I haven’t seen the movie yet–but it has certainly gotten good reviews. I’ll watch it when it come out on DVD. The trailer follows the dialogue in the book.

6. Mary says:

I just read The Hunger Games trilogy, which is a guilty pleasure to be sure, but it’s a ton of fun. I’m on to A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan. Loving it so far.

7. You are right Hitchin’s opinion will be missed. A free thinker and one holding original thoughts.
    I am reading Sebastian Barry’s ‘Secret Scriptures’ – a brilliant writer who is new to me and since discovering I have ordered other books by him.
    Helen x

8. Miss Milky says:

I’m reading the new book of Eugenides “the marriage plot”… I’ve liked Middlesex too much, but now…I still don’t know this.
    Have a nice day,
    Miss Milky

9. dee says:

This week I began Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (again). Hoping to not get distracted so I can actually finish it this time around!

10. Diana says:

I’m currently in the middle of Bill Bryson’s ‘Shakespeare’ and Audrey Niffenegger’s second novel ‘Her Fearful Symmetry.’ Since we know so little about Shakespeare, the biography is more a fascinating and entertaining glimpse into Elizabethan life. ‘Her Fearful Symmetry’ has so far provided an engrossing overview of the history of Highgate Cemetery in London. The novel centers around characters who live on the edge of the cemetery, and I’m now eager to visit it.

11. Katie says:

I just started Abundance: a Novel of Marie Antoinette, by Sena Jeter Naslund. Thirty pages in, it’s pretty good. I think I picked it out because I like the cover, though. Sometimes judging a book by its cover works well!

12. I recently finished the short novel Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith and it’s become my favorite book of late. I can’t recommend it enough!

13. Alexandra says:

I’m currently reading Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. Have you seen the Matchbook Magazine list of 50 Matchbook Girl novels? I’m obsessed with it, it’s perfect. In fact, my blog today is about readings lists as well ;)

14. My reading list is anything but exciting at the moment. I’m mostly reading baby books to my son, and also “Montessori from the Start” not exactly noteworthy but educational

15. Morgan says:

I read the entire Hunger Games trilogy last week which left me completely exhausted, but it was fantastic. I just started All About Lulu by Jonathan Evison yesterday.

16. I’m reading a copy of “The House of the Seven Gables” by Nathaniel Hawthorne purchased at The House of the Seven Gables (more specifically, in their gift shop) several years ago and never read because…well…it looked like the reading equivalent of broccoli. And yet I started reading it this weekend SOLELY because I wanted to read something and was too lazy to walk 3 floors down to my office to get Deb Olin Unferth’s “Minor Robberies.” Strangely, several weekends prior to this, I started reading “Frankenstein” (which is TREMENDOUS!) for the same reason – I was too lazy to walk down to my office to get Rae Armantrout’s “Veil.” So I guess the morale here is to embrace laziness as a way of eventually getting to those classics that look too much like broccoli…possibly?

17. I’m reading Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem. Still not sure if I like it or not. There’s not much action going on to say the least, but I hope it will be better, when I read more of it.

18. I’m currently readin The Catcher in The Rye. I’m not too far in but I’m loving it so far.

19. Mandy says:

I’m reading “The Art of Fielding” by Chad Harbach, and I’m LOVING it!

20. Aimee says:

I am reading “Taken at the Flood” by Agatha Christie. I’m not gonna lie, it’s not the best one she’s ever written, but i’m still lovin’ it!
    Next after this i’m going to read “Love Let me not Hunger” by Paul Galico.

21. I’m currently reading, “Reading Lolita in Tehran,” it’s AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend reading it!

22. Melissa says:

I’m reading Rules of Civility, which is wonderful so far, and Bleak House.

23. CarolGK says:

Reading Bill Bryson”s At Home which, like all his books, is so much fun. Just reread My Koren Deli by Ben Ryder Howe which I cannot recommend highly enough.

24. Beatrice says:

The Paris Wife. I just got to Paris. Can I not work and read all day instead?

25. Kailey says:

Ahh that picture is so beautiful! Love the colors.

Meanwhile, I’ve just begun reading The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt – it’s so cute!

26. Momographica says:

I am reading Photography and Philosophy: Essays on The Pencil of Nature, edited by Scott Walder. A very interesting window on photography and Art.

27. nanne says:

inspired by the bbc series, “sherlock,” i’m re-reading the adventures of sherlock holmes. fun & perfect read for cold, dreary winter nights.

nanne

28. I’m reading “England, Egland”, it’s pretty funny. I’m what we can call an “anglophile”, somebody’s not english, but with a passion for Great Britain

See U !

29. Melissa says:

I’m working on one of Bradley’s ‘Flavia de Luce’ novels: A Red Herring Without Mustard. I just love how precocious Flavia is. I’m also a little obsessed with Matchbook Mag’s 50 list… and I’ve read most… but I’m definitely going to have to read several again!

30. Gloria Adamonis says:

I am reading “Obata’s Yellowstone” after seeing some of his works in a ‘National Parks’ video. It is a treasure, a new discovery.

31. Liss says:

just finished The Great Gatsby now reading The Help before I watch the movie. thats my rule.

32. {gemmifer} says:

Just today I finished “The Psychopath Test” by Jon Ronson (incredible investigation of the psychology industry). Earlier in the week I finished “The Rain Before It Falls” by Jonathan Coe. Amazing. Before that, “A Visit From the Goon Squad” by Jennifer Egan. Also amazing. Next up: “Ali in Wonderland” by Ali Wentworth. It’s supposed to be hilarious.

33. Mary says:

I’ve also just raced through The Hunger Games books, very addictive. I’m now onto Claire Tomalin’s Dickens biography which I am enjoying so far and The Historian {Elizabeth Kostova} which is pleasantly scary :)

34. Misss_Marta says:

Like: A Visit from the Goon Squad, The Marriage Plot, Her Fearful Symmetry
    LOVE: The Catcher in the Rye, Reading Lolita in Tehran
    Want to read: The Art of Fielding
    Reading soon: Chang-Rae Lee’s The Surrendered, Umberto Eco’s De Bibliotheca, and Zadie Smith’s Changing My Mind.
    Reading now: Cook with Jamie (on a daily basis), campus novels (soon to teach a class on the subject) and Richard Florida’s THE RISE OF THE CREATIVE. CLASS. Anyone else here reading Florida? It’s a textbook but it still feels great to be creative class! Smiles!

35. Jennifer K Gonnella says:

Just finished Seal Woman by Solveig Eggerz. It was very good…: Description: In the rubble of post-World War II Berlin, artist Charlotte flees her past and everything she’s lost by responding to an ad calling for strong women who can cook and do farm work in Iceland. But painful memories and ghosts follow Charlotte as she struggles to make a new life in a raw and rugged landscape. This debut novel celebrates the twin powers of storytelling and art as ways to reassemble the fragments of Charlotte’s broken self and move her-and everyone she loves-toward peace. This novel won first prize for fiction from the Maryland Writers’ Association.

36. Gulfem says:

Just finished Slyvia Plath’s Bell Jar, highly recommended. Vladimir Nabokov’ Lolita and Salman Rushdie’s Luka and the Fire of Life are on my table :) I am huge fan of your posts about books!

37. Recently finished Sharon Heath’s delighful coming of age novel, “The History of My Body.” About ready to start “An Uncertain Age” by Ulrica Hume. I liked reading the other comments here and copying down some of the titles!

Malcolm

38. diana says:

my book club is reading the virgin suicides.

you should go on goodreads more! i tried to see what you were reading but you haven’t updated in months!

39. Cathy says:

I read multiple books at the same time which keeps things interesting but slows down the completion rate! I have “The Night Circus” , “Game of Thrones” and “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” all going on my Nook. I am about to add “The Hunger Games” after reading these comments….sounds like just my kind of read…I love a fast-paced novel!!

40. Jess says:

I’m reading ‘Masters of Movement’ -photos and text by Rose Eichenbaum. It’s an amazing collection of interviews with icons of the dance choreography world. I just finished reading an account from Dee Dee Woods about choreographing ‘The Sound of Music’ where they had to shout at Julie Andrew to spin with a bullhorn. Can you just imagine!?

41. miriam says: