Mar 08, 2012

I’m back from Paris and, in an effort to extend my trip, I’m reading “The Flâneur: A Stroll Through the Paradoxes of Paris” by Edmund White. It’s wonderful!!

My trip was really amazing. I ended up working lots and, unfortunately, I didn’t get much time to meet people. Very sorry! I’m want to have a blogger party next time I go (which will hopefully be soon!)

I was surprised by how mild the weather was. On my last night there, while walking back to my apartment, I heard a nightingale singing in the park. Really magical. So I’m savoring this book I’m reading about the city….

What are you reading?

(photo credit: spudballoo).

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 8th, 2012 at 10:08 am. It is filed under Blog, Books, Paris. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

28 Responses to “What are you reading?”

1. JuLee says:

Just started reading The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir. Will be interesting to see how Henry played Daddy to 3 children from 3 different wives.

2. I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy in preparation of the movie (I can’t believe I had waited so long to read it, it’s been on my list for ages) I really enjoyed the books.

3. Gulfem says:

Just finished Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and watched the movie “The Hours” once again! I am planning to start A Moveable Feast by Hemingway before my upcoming trip to Paris!

4. Marthe says:

Hi! I’m reading IQ84 by Murakami. I’m down to the last few chapters, and it’s so well written!

What to read next? Maybe the History of Love by Nicole Krauss?

5. Karen says:

I just finished reading The Crimson Petal and The White. Very long, very good but the ending seemed rather sudden. So now I started on Eragon, the first book in the Inheritance series.

6. Diana says:

I wrote about the figure of the flaneur (and questioned whether there could be a female equivalent — flaneuse) during my undergrad years. So your reading sounds fascinating to me!

I’m currently reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I loathed it when I read an abridged version in middle school. I’ve recently grown to love some of his novels, so I’m hoping I like it more upon rereading.

7. Tonia says:

Alternating between reading for the first time Midnight’s Children and rereading the Shipping News – felt in the need of a joyous ending in March.

8. Sally says:

I’m reading Game of Thrones, but I throw in a chapter or two of A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning before bed just for fun.

9. Lisi says:

I’m an absurdly slow reader and I’ve been reading “Rules of Civility” for quite some time now. I absolutely love it, but only have time to read a chapter at a time before bed these days!

10. I have a small deal with myself; re-read some of the books which I either didn’t care for or finish during my university studies.. So currently, it is Turn of the Screw, but at the same time I am reading the second volume of Anaïs Nin’s diaries.
    Just finished David Copperfield for school though and going on Great Expectations.

11. sécia says:

Welcome back! Funny you should ask… I just started reading Pride and Prejudice this afternoon. Can you believe it’s my first time? My husband bought me Pride, Prejudice and Zombies as I’m a big zombie fan and when I started to read it I realized I’d never read the original so I had to stop and read Jane’s classic first.

♥ sécia

12. Luli says:

Welcome back. I love the “what are you reading” posts. Books are my favorite subject. I’m reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. It’s by the guy who wrote Wicked. I heart Paris.

13. Mariana says:

Sounds like a beautiful last day in Paris! It’s great to have you back.
    What other Paris books would you recommend?
    Right now I’m reading, “The Lotus Eaters” by Tatjana Soli- I am enjoying very much!

14. Liza says:

I’m reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks…a surprisedly fantastic read!

15. Mary says:

I do love these bookish posts, I just keep adding to my reading wishlist! I have reading some John Keats & F.Scott Fitzgerald as I am teaching them next high school term, and just started ‘The Lover’s Dictionary: A Love Story In 185 Definitions’ as my friend raved about it!

16. Christi says:

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

17. I’m reading “The Fall” by Albert Camus and “Fargo Rock City” by Chuck Klosterman – a shameless defense of 80’s heavy metal, which places particular emphasis on the pop culture significance of “hair metal” bands like Poison and Cinderella, even though I’m not really into metal and/or big hair and/or spandex and I play a Strat rather than a bizarrely-shaped Ibanez and spent the 80’s listening to what some of us Gen Xers still refer to a “collage radio music” (i.e. R.E.M. before they sucked, Husker Du, Sonic Youth before they sucked, The Replacements before Paul Westerberg started a sadly under-appreciated solo career, etc….not to be confused with XTC, which I didn’t really listen to at the time, but appreciate now…)

18. Christi says:

I’m reading “Mudbound” by Hillary Jordan!

19. viria says:

I started reading the ‘never let me go’ a while back (watched the movie before reading the book) and never seemed to finish the book :( I couldn’t really find time to read to book. Wish to have more time.

20. Monica says:

i’m reading the book of disquiet. a re-read actually, but read it too many years ago to remember but an essence.

21. Carina says:

My mind is too distracted with life in France at the moment that I just can’t seem to concentrate long enough to delve into a book…soon, I hope. I hope too that you do party more next time you’re in Paris and we get to catch up. :)

22. liza says:

I finished reading The Paris Wife last week, so now I’m reading The Sun also Rises.

23. Paris – hope you had a lovely time! I’ve just started reading “The City of Falling Angels” by John Berendt.

24. Good morning English Muse!
    Presently reading The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht … a unique tale and quite compelling. Just finished Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson – also engaging and a bit of a thriller. What’s with all of the amnesia themes lately?! Ventured to the movies and saw The Vow which is also a book and an intriguing story based on real-life experience. About to roll up my sleeves and venture into Downton Abbey-like reads to assuage my withdrawal symptoms!

Re-visited your “The Girl With the Pink Gloves” post of yore and am curious … have they come out to play yet? I have an old pair of white kid gloves with embroidered pink roses that belonged to my Grandmother – scrumptious but have also been “protecting” them from the greater world.

25. Mrs. Parker says:

I’m almost finished reading “Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England” by Judith Flanders and have to say it’s utterly fascinating. After you find out what went into keeping a house clean back then, you’ll never complain about housework again.

26. Katarina says:

If you like poetry I’m reading Rumi The Essentials. He is a great poet as are all Sufi poets like Hafiz. Hope you check it out, thanks for all your great suggestions! :)

27. Paula says:

Hi! I guess we never want to leave Paris, do we? Right now I’m reading Jane Austen’s juvenilia and unfinished novels. I finished reading all her books and I still wanted some more…

28. Hannah says:

i read this for my dissertation! have you read Baudelaire and Benjamin’s writing about the flaneur figure? currently reading City of Djinns that i purchased in India and it’s making me miss Delhi!

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com