Apr 17, 2012

Springtime is indeed the time for flowers.

In northeast Spain the small city of Girona celebrates spring’s arrival with the annual flower festival aptly named Temps de Flors.

While both public and private spaces are decorated, the celebration’s centerpiece is the eighty-six¬†steps of the Spanish-Gothic cathedral. Each year is a totally different breathtaking display.

The festival last for nine days, this year from May 12th through the 20th. Apart from the flowers there are exhibitions, art installations and concerts, but make no mistake, the flowers are the stars.

Sometimes the displays are very formal and traditional, but sometimes they are experimental, even avant-garde.

I am completely taken with the idea of a whole town donating it’s public spaces to a riot of flowers each year. I would love to go. Have you been there?

Have a lovely sun-filled day,

Sarah from Design Flourishes

Photo Credits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 at 8:00 am. It is filed under Travel. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

11 Responses to “Temps de Flors”

1. Mary says:

My brother-in-law is from Girona, and he and my sister currently live in Barcelona. It is a gorgeous town any time of year, but I love seeing pictures from this festival – so beautiful!

2. There is nothing more evocative than all the flowers on the cathedral steps, and every European town/city/village has these lovely festivals. Brilliant post !!

3. Hannah says:

these look amazing!

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

4. Such a beautiful festival and that is not centred around food is also refreshing.
    Sometimes the consumption of excessive amounts of food at festivals can be off putting.
    A great post

• Sarah says:

Oh! I didn’t think about that aspect – you are right that food is so often the center of a festival. I suppose many of our events have their roots in harvest festivals, and celebrating a plentiful harvest. I think Temps de Flors is more akin to a May Day party, celebrating the spring.

5. Karolin says:

Totally a must go!

6. Katie says:

Incredible! Everything about the festival looks amazing and beautiful. I especially love the umbrella installation.

7. Tree says:

Heading up to this festival next month!! Girona is a beautiful town, even on drab, winter days. I can’t imagine how beautiful it will be when splashed with an explosion of floral colors! Great post — thank you…

8. Katie says:

Wow, this looks like such a beautiful place to be, gorgeous displays x

9. Mariana says:

Hi there! I am from Girona and I can tell you that Temps de Flors is one of the most important events of the year so the effort is huge! The pic are amazing… but can you imagine how smell the whole old town?…. it is a event that you should experience….

10. Rose says:

Wow! I am amazed for this post and the pictures. Thank you for posting this beauty! XD