Apr 10, 2012

Hi everyone, I’m Sarah from Design Flourishes, and I am honored to be guest blogging here at English Muse on Tuesdays. I blog mainly about art and travel (with some books thrown in), this morning let’s start with travel…

In the spring my wandering foot gets to itching. Something about the sunshine and the warmer weather makes me want to explore far off lands.

One of my all time favorite destinations is Dubrovnik, Croatia. It is on the sea between Greece and Italy, and combines everything a person could want in a Mediterranean destination. A fairytale city between dramatic mountains and shimmering crystal waters, it is practically perfect in every way.

Back when Venice was the main maritime power in the Mediterranean, Dubrovnik was its only real rival. It was a fiercely independent city-state, and for centuries Dubrovnik officials paid off whichever empire was in power, in order to maintain Dubrovnik autonomy.  Liberty was so important to them that in 1776, it was the first foreign state to officially recognize a brash, upstart, republic called the United States of America.

The old town is completely surrounded by high city walls. It takes a few hours to walk all the way around, and the views are stunning. On one side is the sea with little islands in the near distance. On the other are the red tile roofs, pale walls and white streets of the medieval city.

I can’t find if the streets are actually paved with marble, it might be some other polished stone, but it looks and feels like marble. It makes the whole town feel luxurious. So many medieval towns feel dark and cramped, if charming. Dubrovnik feels bright and sunny and that just makes it more charming.

At night, the cafés spill onto the street and all summer there is lots of live music. Sometimes it feels it can’t all be real, but when you wake up in the morning it is still there, and ready to be explored.

“Those who seek paradise on Earth should come to Dubrovnik and find it”

– George Bernard Shaw

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3 & 4 are personal photos, 5, 6

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 at 10:00 am. It is filed under Travel. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

12 Responses to “The Pearl of the Adriatic”

1. Mandy says:

These photos are so lovely! Um, can I book my plane ticket right this moment please?

2. Karen says:

Looks amazing. Friends who have traveled there have said that the Croatian coast is amazing and I might just have to go see for myself now.

3. Marta says:

I heart Croatia!

4. I’m so excited to be going to Dubrovnik in the beginning of June for my birthday! Lovely photos, do you know of any other good tips online for Croatia? I’ve been getting lost in the sea of information out there…

• Sarah says:

They are not on-line, but for my money, the best European travel books are by Rick Steves. They don’t have lots of pretty pictures but they are full of good information to make your trip go smoothy.

5. Mary Barna says:

The streets are paved with polished limestone. I’m looking forward to visiting again this July! It is a truly spectacular place.

6. Naomi says:

This looks absolutely beautiful. I must plan a visit one day (soon)!

7. Luli says:

Wow. I’ve always wanted to visit Croatia. It’s so beautiful. I love the photos you featured. PS. I am your fellow Tuesday guest blogger :)

8. Katarina says:

I’m Croatian and I love Dubrovnik, but I love Zadar more and it’s not because it’s my home city but the simplicity of the city is great, and I also love the island of Hvar and Korcula. You should definitely take a look at those cities! <3

• Sarah says:

Hi Katarina,
      Oh you are a lucky girl to call Zadar home! Croatia is just full of wonderful cities and islands and small towns… plus so much natural beauty…
      I secretly love Korcula more than Dubrovnik, but I have only sailed by Hvar. On my next trip I plan to spend some time on the Istrian Peninsula.
      I realize that it must be frustrating to see yet another love letter to Dubrovnik. My only condolence is to say that the more people we get to fall in love with the idea of visiting Croatia, the more people will actually go, and the more people will find other cities to love as well.

All content © 2014 by The English Muse