May 03, 2012

Hello again, friends.  It’s Katie, here again with another common book lover’s problem:

While I believe there is such thing as too many books, except perhaps when one is moving, I do believe that there are far too many books I have not read.  One of my professors often went on a tangent about just how impossible it would be to read every published book, or even just every published novel, even if you lived a hundred years and never stopped reading.  The sheer number of volumes is monstrous.  So ultimately, we must pick and choose what books will visit our lives.

I have a habit of picking more books than can possibly visit my life.  These stacks are a pretty good sampling of what I own and haven’t but think I should read.  Yet I somehow manage to accumulate even more volumes every time I’m within sight of a used book store.

Do you have this problem?

[image: literary brooch by Bookity on Etsy]

This entry was posted on Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 at 8:39 am. It is filed under Decor. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

8 Responses to “Books I Own and Haven’t Read”

1. Christina says:

Yes! I’m constantly adding books to my shelves and to my to-read lists, which both grow exponentially faster than the number of books I actually read. When I read good books, I find myself and I get inspired or comforted, so every time I hear about a good book, I’m so eager to add it to my list, especially during times when I feel lost (very often). The number of books out there and the possibilities of how they might affect me is very daunting and exciting, and I can’t help but feel sad about the ones I’ll miss out on either because I don’t know about them or because I won’t have time to get around to them. I’ve been loving your posts lately; I can so easily relate to them!

2. Wendy says:

I do the same thing! And my mum gives me great piles of books! You have some fantastic titles. I want to read your books too! xx

3. Luna says:

Absolutely! I’m one of those ‘sale bin’ people. So while I have a stack of books not read, I’m still looking for a good read for May. Go figure.

Saw your post on looksee.

4. Tonia says:

Ha! Hands up, must confess to the collected works of Dickens remaining unopened on my shelves. I still maintain I’m saving them for my daughter!

5. Mayrozez says:

One more reason for me to love my Kindle. When I hear about a book I think I’d like to read I download the free sample, which usually includes the first chapter or two. When I’m ready to start a new book, I “shop” from my samples. I only pay for those I actually read at the time I choose to read them and the only space they take up is of the cyber variety. The book store is always open!

6. Karolin says:

yes, I buy books all the time but seldom have time to read. I always catch up with my reading when on vacation

7. Hazel says:

Definitely. My husband keeps on buying me books. He’s a fanatic. If I read everything he bought me that’s on the waiting list it would take three years. Seriously. I’m about 150 books
    behind. There are other books that I have every intention of reading, A.S. Byatt’s The Children’s Book is a good example. But I can’t keep everyone’s name straight when I only dip into it at bed-time. I haven’t started Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol. And I gave up on The Historian because I thought it was shite.

8. Mariana says:

YES. I always say- “Okay, no more buying books until you finish reading those that you haven’t already!”
    I can’t help it- it’s like the books at shops call out to me. I tend to get a little overwhelmed at libraries and stores… I wish we could read all books!

All content © 2016 by English Muse