Jun 15, 2012

Dear English Muse Readers!

I have just finished another Art of Living seminar and I am bubbling with energy. Did you know there are five sources of energy? Food, breath, positive attitude, sleep…and COLD SHOWERS.

I quit eating meat two years ago and I bless my decision and discipline every single day. As a result, I learned how to cook delicious, healthy meals.

I have been doing unique breathing exercises taught in the Art of Living classes  and am thus successfully battling depression and anxiety. My attitude has changed from moping and complaining all the time to everyday serenity, hopefulness and big fits of laughter.

I try to get enough sleep now: 6, 7 or 8 hours of sleep a day, depending on how I’m feeling and how much work I have to do.

I have re-introduced cold showers into my mornings and yes it is traumatic at first, but the feeling afterwards is unmatched. Have you noticed how after a warm shower you’re cold, sleepy and ready to go back to bed? Whereas after a cold shower, you feel energized and ready to rock the world? Plus you’re actually feeling warmer because your blood starts circulating. Not to mention that I waste visibly less water whenever I’m showering ice-cold! The first time in years I took a cold shower I made sure the house was empty because I was planning on singing “Nessun Dorma,” an aria from Turandot very, very loud! I’ve been showering cold for a couple of days now, but already know I won’t quit doing it anytime soon. The price is not that high and the energy I derive from it is simply priceless!

I try to do things differently in life and hope that you do, too. Can you share some examples and inspire us?

Happy Friday and Happy Cold Showers to those of you who dare!

Smiles, Marta.

Photo Credits: 1, 2

This entry was posted on Friday, June 15th, 2012 at 8:05 am. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

24 Responses to “Cold Showers”

1. Jane says:

You are VERY brave! But I’m sure you are right…. but I’d just freeze up altogether these days.

• Misss_Marta says:

first time was the worst, every other time was actually very OK! give it a go sometime:-)

2. exactly what i needed to read before the weekend. thank you for the great post! I’m going to try taking a cold shower now…this will be interesting!

3. Saartje says:

I’m nowhere near brave or disciplined enough to take full cold showers every morning, but I do quite often tend to switch between warm and cold water (and then finish off with about 30 seconds of cold). It is true, the feeling you get is pretty amazing! But sometimes all I want is to feel warm and cosy under that water, even though it makes me feel sleepy afterwards.

4. Hannah says:

haha I love that second photo

raspberrykitsch.com

xx

5. Hello Marta

I shall try the cold shower in the morning. I remember reading many years ago that this is a habit of HRH Prince Charles.

Have a superb weekend

xx

6. I’m freezing just reading this, but I’m IN. xo

7. Katie says:

I’m chilly, too, just thinking about cold showers…I have some chilly memories of bathing in a creek in the mountains on one overseas trip and another backpacking adventure–it was invigorating, though!

Your classes sound really interesting. I’ve never heard of Art of Living seminars–is it a whole genre of seminar or a specific group’s name?

• Misss_Marta says:

invigorating is the key word here! art of living is an ngo which organizes classes (different kinds) and generally teaches people how to breathe properly and live happier lives. it’s got branches all over the world so google it and see if there’s an aol chapter in your hometown. smiles, marta :-)

8. Karin Hossack says:

Apropos to this and the previous blog, I would like to recommend this book to you: A Natural History Of The Senses, by Diane Ackerman.
    Thanks for your lovely blogging, your enthusiasm is very contagious!

• Misss_Marta says:

thank you so much for your kind words! and I shall soon check that book out! smiles, marta :-)

9. Jo says:

Thank you for sharing the art of living link, I have been meditating a little recently but haven’t found the perfect position or technique for me – going to drop-in classes means I feel a little shy of asking too many questions – i reckon i’ll bite the bullet and do a whole course.
    So thanks again!

• Misss_Marta says:

you made my day–by all means try a whole course! nothing’s the same after the taking the aol course! BIG smiles, marta.

10. R says:

After reading this post, I’ve started finishing with cool, almost cold. It’s exhilarating! Do you start with warm, so you can wash with suds, or is it pure cold the whole time?

11. R says:

Totally cold eh? Does soap and shampoo really work that way? Are you still into this, or was it a 30 day thing?

• Misss_Marta says:

still doing it and not planning on stopping it ever! PLEASE NOTE: cold showers in the morning and during the day, warm showers before going to bed (to help you fall asleep). AND: no need to wash your head in cold water, so I usually wash my hair separately now, not when showering. makes sense?

12. R says:

Funny, some people advise cold water makes hair nice and shiny!

13. Misss_Marta says:

in that case, perhaps I should start washing my hair while I’m showering and endure so much cold water?! we’ll see :-)