Jun 21, 2012

In August, fingers crossed, I will begin a teacher certification degree that will someday allow me to teach middle school English and Language Arts.  So what have I begun doing to prepare for this degree program?

I’m making a reading list, of course.

Goodreads has a Top 100 Middle School Reads list, most of which I’ve read and loved.  I’ve reread The Giver a time or two, and I still remember getting teary-eyed at the end of Tuck Everlasting, then reading it again years later.  A Wrinkle in Time is celebrating its fiftieth anniversary of publication this year and I bought myself a new copy to celebrate, because I gave mine away years ago.  And, of course, Bridge to Terebithia is on the list, another one of those great heartbreakers that I will never forget and always love.

So, dear readers, what books won your heart as a middle school student?  Which titles are unforgettable?  And, just for fun, which ones do you hope you never have to read again?

until next Thursday,

Katie (unwritten, untitled)

[image: source unknown, found here]

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 21st, 2012 at 8:00 am. It is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

7 Responses to “Middle (School) Reads”

1. Ailsa says:

My absolute favourites were Susan Cooper’s Dark is Rising series. I also loved Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes.

2. Hannah says:

I’m not sure what age middle school is or how it compares to UK schools but I can remember reading To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time at about 14 and it totally breaking my heart!

raspberrykitsch.com

xx

3. valeria ortiz de zarate says:

well. thousands! the moonstone, farenheit 451, sherlock, of course, j.l..borges, sorry i’m mixing titkes & authors ! this list thing is touching!

4. I loved Beverly Cleary, Chronicles of Narnia, and the Boxcar Children…
    Really, I just loved to read and would devour any literature I got my hands on. {still true}

5. Laura says:

I don’t remember how old I was when I read this but I loved Walk Two Moons.

6. Sumire says:

I loved (and still love) Up A Road Slowly, Light A Single Candle, Tailchaser’s Song and Dominic.

7. donna says:

i have 11 and 13 year-old daughters and still read aloud to them. the harry potter series is SO engaging. anything by kate dicamillo is great but especially edward tulane and the tale of despereaux (so much better than the movie!) another amazing one is the underneath by kathi appelt.