Jun 29, 2012

Who doesn’t know this painting, Gustav Klimt’s The Kiss?  This year marks the 150th birthday of Klimt and Austria is celebrating it in various ways. If you are in Vienna, you are in for a treat, for several museums such as the Albertina, the Belvedere, the Kunsthistorisches, the Leopold, and the Wien Museum are showing exhibitions devoted to his work.

Recently I watched an almost unpretentious American comedy entitled This Means War. To make a long story short, a guy learns that the girl likes Gustav Klimt and because he’s a secret agent and there’s nothing he can’t do, he shows the girl the original Klimt paintings. Watch the fragment here. Isn’t it every girl’s dream to be pampered like that?

What is your favorite Klimt painting and why?

Happy Friday Everyone! Next week I’m in a different country, living a different life. Stay tuned.

Smiles, Marta.

This entry was posted on Friday, June 29th, 2012 at 8:05 am. It is filed under Icons and tagged with , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

23 Responses to “What Is Your Favorite Klimt Painting?”

1. virginia says:

my favorite: “Portrait of the Pianist and Piano Teacher Joseph Pembauer”. I saw it in person in 2002, in Rome.

2. I love so many of his paintings, but The Kiss holds a special place in my heart. I had the chance to see it at Belvedere while I was in Vienna and I just couldn’t stop looking at it. It was beyond beautiful. When I got home from my trip my boyfriend bought me a huge canvas copy of the painting (about 3 feet tall) for my birthday. It’s been hanging in my bedroom ever since.

3. Marta says:

thank you for sharing! it all sounds almost too good to be true! smiles, m.

4. Katinka says:

The “Ode to Joy” portion of his Beethoven frieze is probably my favorite, though it’s certainly tough to choose.

5. Marta says:

excellent choice nevertheless!

6. Cheryl says:

I do LOVE The Kiss. It first made me think about the way my husband loves me. I bought a cheap poster version of it years ago and had it framed (and it is still in our bedroom). I still love looking at it! I marvel at all the colors, patterns and those two people with their eyes closed. Even after 26 1/2 years of marriage I still feel the same way (that my husband loves and adores me like that) but so much more (it hasn’t all been easy but love is complicated and messy), like the rich and colorful detail of each swirl, circle, rectangle, flower, and vine. I think I’d cry if I saw the real painting!

• Katie says:

Cheryl, the way you just wrote about The Kiss–that’s how I hope I can write about it someday! I have a little postcard-sized print that I bought not long after my husband proposed (three years ago) because it resonated with me at that time. Still does.
      I think I’ll hang on to it for good.

• Marta says:

hi Cheryl–thank you. I have tears in my eyes as I read your post. 26 1/2 years of marriage! chapeau bas!!!

7. Acacia says:

I love Klimt’s Death and Life (1911), where death and his cudgel is contrasted with life made up from scintillating colors and bodies of lovers, infants, the elderly. In the sleep of life, a young woman wakes up to death’s arrival without fear.

8. Water Serpents and Mother and Child are my favorites but it is difficult to not say ALL of his works are my favorites ! We enjoyed a fantastic Klimt show at the Clark Museum in Williamstown NY, a few years ago. After having been in Paris that year and seeing his work there too, it was a good year for us :-) I could use a nice big Klimt in my house .. (she says in her dreams) ..

9. Jazz says:

The Kiss is by far my favourite Klimt painting and also my favourite painting of all times. There is just something about it that makes me feel so warm inside whenever I see it. I recently bought a huuge poster of it when I visited the MoMA in New York and now it’s on my bedroom wall. I love it!

• Marta says:

“warm inside” is exactly how I fell about it, too! I will have to get a huuge poster of it as well! smiles!

10. i love the kiss.

i have the print in my bedroom, but i’ve defiantly displayed it horizontally, instead of vertically. i just like it better like that.

i’m weird that way.

11. Luli says:

Hi Marta. I think the one you posted above is one of my favorites. Some day I want to visit Die Neue Gallerie in NYC. It’s full of his paintings.

12. {gemmifer} says:

As much as I love the style of “The Kiss” and other very identifiably Klimt paintings, I think I will always love “The Apple Tree” (also known as “Apfelbaum”) most. Something about the density of detail and the colors really appeals to me.

13. Marta says:

hi! you’re right–it’s a beautiful painting as well!

14. PK says:

I loved Klimt’s work for years. The Kiss is a favorite but I could look at Expectation for hours and see something different. All of his work does that to me.

15. Marta says:

have you seen today’s google logo? happy birthday, Klimt! Expectation is a masterpiece, I agree! smiles!