Jul 09, 2012

On our first trip to New York, back in March, Husband and I went to see The Steins Collect at the MET. It was magical. The collection was a joint effort between Gertrude Stein and her brothers (as well as their wives) and was an amazing overview of some of the best artists from the turn of the 20th century, which also happens to be my very favorite period. The one thing I have not been able to get out of my head was the little postcard pictured above from Henri Matisse to the family of Michel Stein. It’s absolutely amazing to know that all of these people were actually friends: Matisse, Hemingway, Picasso, Stein, Fitzgerald… etc, etc. To that end, I am pulling out A Moveable Feast (Hemingway’s account of the time) and just received Midnight in Paris from Netflix. When it’s 104 in Tennessee, why not escape to Paris?

What are you reading as a little summer escape? Any recommendations?
Until next week… xo* ~Hannah B.

This entry was posted on Monday, July 9th, 2012 at 1:00 pm. It is filed under Decor and tagged with , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

20 Responses to “What Are You Reading?”

1. Nina says:

Kerouac’s “On the Road” is on my must-read-every-summer list! It sets you on the perfect spontaneous holiday mood. Though lately I’ve been reading Márquez’s “One Hundred Years of Solitude”; it’s such a fascinating novel as well.

2. ‘The Dark Monk’ Second in the series of the Hangmans Daughter, by Oliver Potzsch. Excellent, atmospheric, mystery plus !

3. Katie says:

I just finished Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos. It was so good–sometimes you simply must have a happy ending, and this one was full of life. Plus any novel with Dickinson references is bound to grab me and keep me reading.

Hope the heat breaks a little for you guys in Tennessee–we’re just north in Louisville and it’s finally comfortable outside.

4. I think you have the perfect solution to the heat. You will love the movie. My husband and I enjoyed it so much. It will fit right in with what you are writing about in this post.

5. Luli says:

I loved Midnight in Paris! I’ve never read A Moveable Feast, so you will have to keep us posted on your thoughts about it. Right now I am reading Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani. It’s my first book by her and I love it so much. It’s very well written and a lovely story about an Italian girl living in NYC and making shoes. I picked up another book by her from the library today, Lucia Lucia. I can’t wait to start it. And finally, I LOVE the Met.

6. I love that group of artists and writers and that time period in Paris! What I’m reading right now is not remotely related to that, though- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain. Very interesting so far!

7. I’ve been visiting Paris myself recently, also via A Moveable Feast. I was inspired to read it after Paula McLain’s The Paris Wife, which is a fictionalized take on Hadley Hemingway’s experience. Now I’m onto The Sun Also Rises. Such an incredibly rich period. Also interesting to compare Hemingway to more modern, confessional writers.
    Just took The End of the Affair by Graham Green out of the library. Some consider it his masterpiece. . . .

8. Karen says:

I haven’t read A Movable Feast yet but I’m planning on a Great Gatsby re-read and I’m in the middle of reading book four of the Song of Ice and Fire series and Kristin Chenoweth’s (auto)biography. Quite an eclectic mix of books… Ah well.

9. Rouenna says:

I have been watching a lot of period films lately so I’m in the middle of reading Mansfield Park. At the same time, I’m reading Elizabeth Goudge’s The Little White Horse for a bit of light reading. I know it is strange, but I am fond of reading two or three books at the same time.

10. I just returned from Cuba and I have been doing a few posts about Cuba that relate to Paris on my Henri Loves Paris blogsite. I visited Hemingway’s home in Cuba and afterward proceeded to read A Moveable Feast. I assumed that it was written while he was living in Paris; but, no, it was written 30 years later in Cuba. I highly suggest you read A Moveable Feast. It is a fast read and it will give you a great Paris fix!

11. Hannah says:

A Gatsby re-read is definitely on my list too! I got this 1950’s edition from my aunt that I really want to just carry in my bag because it’s so cute 😉

Oh, and I’d be interested to hear what you think of Chenoweth’s book. Saw her on Conan last night… hilarious *&* adorable!

12. Hannah says:

Loved your post! And now I want to go to Paris *&* Cuba 😉

13. Hannah says:

I always read 2 or 3 books at once too and, from the looks of the rest of these comments, we aren’t along!

14. Hannah says:

Just so you know, The Paris Wife is going on my list ASAP! xo*

15. Hannah says:

My dad actually grew up with the Trigiani family! I read The Big Stone Gap series (my grandparents are actually mentioned in the 2nd book) and recently got “Don’t Sing at the Table.” Also, if you like to cook (or if you just like family stories), I’d recommend getting the cookbook she wrote with her sister. The red sauce is delish!

16. Hannah says:

Thanks, Sally! I have my fingers crossed that the rain will break the heat like they promised. xo*

17. Hannah says:

Oh, I’ll have to look that one up. If I read fiction, it has to have a happy ending! Oh, and P.S. I’m hoping this rain breaks the heat for us too. *Fingers Crossed*

18. Hannah says:

Sounds intriguing! I’ll have to look it up. xo*

19. Hannah says:

Both of those were actually on my list! How I made it through art school without reading Kerouac is still a mystery 🙂
    xo*

20. Hannah says:

I’ve heard of that. Everyone around our office seemed to be talking about her TED talk this Spring so now I will definitely have to go watch it and add that book to my list. It sounds interesting!

Here’s the link in case you want to watch: http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts.html

All content © 2016 by English Muse