Aug 10, 2012

I have just finished reading Geraldine Brooks’ Caleb’s Crossing and Adam Haslett’s Union Atlantic and am fixing to start Karen Russell’s Swamplandia! Other people’s recommendation (Brooks) and Haslett and Russell were fellows at my former workplace, American Academy in Berlin and I’m curious to know their work. And you, what are you reading and why?

Happy Friday!

Smiles, Marta

Photos: 1, 2

This entry was posted on Friday, August 10th, 2012 at 8:05 am. It is filed under Books. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

26 Responses to “What Are You Reading?”

1. I just finished the Death of a Cozy Writer, liked it.
    I also finished reading the Hangman’s Daughter and really enjoyed that.
    Next I think something more cheerful :)

• Marta says:

I know how you’re feeling. After The Marriage Plot I needed a much lighter read. Smiles, Marta :-)

• Kat says:

Oh I’ve been wanting to read The Hangman’s Daughter. Was it good? It’s been sitting on my TBR list for forever but I just haven’t gotten to it yet!

2. Are they recommendable, those books?

I’m reading Empire Falls by Richard Russo. So far it’s good :)

• Marta says:

The ones I read were OK, but no thrills running down my spine. Right now I’m trying hard to get excited about Swamplandia! Russo is usually a decent read–I liked The Straight Man and Old Cape Magic, both academic novels, something I’m very much into. Smiles!

3. Rachael says:

Right now I’m reading some Russian literature…. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. It’s a surprisingly funny, satirical commentary on the Soviet Union (obviously it wasn’t allowed to be published in his lifetime).

4. Helena says:

I just finished reading Pigeon English (which was brill) and i’m now reading The Scarlett Letter. At the moment I’m finding it a little heavy but I’m determined to finish. After that I think a bit of Northanger Abbey might be required. I’m going to look into getting Swamplandia too methinks.

5. Ms. Smart says:

finishing book five of games of throne.
    child 44.
    living in joy.
    love the image on your page of the green books grouped together. idea! arranging books by colors. i currently have them arranged by loose categories.
    novels. vampires. art. managerial. sci-fi. inspirational. magic. classic. random. unread. Paris. series…

6. Wendy says:

I’m reading Mervyn Peake’s Titus Groan. I loved it when I read it years ago, but could never find the other two books in the Gormenghast trilogy. Now, thanks to ibooks, I have the other two, so I’m reading Titus Groan again to remind me of its brilliance!

7. Kat says:

I’ve been thinking about giving Swamplandia! a read, it’s been getting a lot of really positive reviews lately and I’ve had a few people recommend it to me already, hope it was good!

8. Junaluska says:

Ooh, the cover for Union Atlantic is so pretty!

I’m reading Madame Bovary right now, but I’m almost finished. It’s not a very fast-paced book, but I’m enjoying it.

I recently read On Chesil Beach, Never Let Me Go, The Reader, and The Voyage Out. So much reading to do, after not being able to choose my own books for the past four years!

9. The Hangmans Daughter and the sequel are both excellent.
    Full of details and mystery and in a time and place that is a little different from your usual mystery. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed them both.
    Death of a Cozy Writer was also very good. I was guessing Who Done It through the whole thing. :)
    It is pouring rain here, all weekend, I will spend it reading :)

10. suse says:

Compass Rose by John Casey (also wrote Spartina)

11. Katie says:

I just picked up The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. It was a dollar (I know!) and I figured it would be worth just checking out, but now I can hardly put it down! I love when that happens.

12. I, too, was swamped by Swamplandia – abandoned ship half-way through, something I never do!

Recently read Five Bells by Gail Jones which I recommend and am presently enjoying The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones. Hmmm … I guess if you’re “jonesing” for a good book … :)