Sep 11, 2012

Hello, dear readers. Let’s talk books.

I’m currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

It is an incredible read! It has everything I could ever want in a novel: intrigue, romance, history, travel, adventure and vampires.  I’ve only just started reading this novel, but the plot sucked me in immediately.  Have you read it?

What are you reading right now?

Luli

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 at 1:00 pm. It is filed under Books and tagged with . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

20 Responses to “The Historian”

1. Silvia says:

How fun! I read that book a few years ago and really loved it! You’ve inspired me to reread it! I’m currently reading the Game of Thrones book series. Also very good!

2. sasha says:

Read it. LOVED it. I have many suggestions that have simlar engrossing type plot, characters, vision, world, feel, etc. Despite being so long I was still sad when ended. Sadly her other book isnt nearly as good. Good but not as gripping.

3. Lisa Wright says:

Oooh yes I read this. A wonderful read… I can’t say anything as I don’t want to spoil it!
    Funnily enough just finished reading another vampire story – the second in the series by Deborah Harkness – the All Souls Trilogy. Highly recommended (even though there was a minor point in the second book that annoyed me!!)

• Luli says:

Wow, thanks Lisa for not spoiling it! I’m really into it right now even though I’m over the vampire genre, but this is different.

4. Hazel says:

I did not enjoy this book at all. Couldn’t get past page 100. She was just trying too hard. Too many adjectives if I remember correctly. I just finished Claire Tomalin’s biography of Dickens.

• Luli says:

Hazel, you remembered right. :) Was Dicken’s bio interesting? I’ve only read one of his books but seen most of the film adaptations, if that counts.

5. Lu says:

I LOVED this book! In fact I recently added it to the ‘read again’ pile. It took a while to get into, but before I knew it I was hooked :)

6. liz says:

What a great read! I actually like her second book, The Swan Thieves, even more!

• Luli says:

I already know I’m going to check out The Swan Thieves as soon as I’m done with this one. I hope Ms. Kostova writes more books soon!!

7. Annelise says:

I LOVED this book … until about the I reached the ending. Then it turned utterly ridiculous and laughable. Obviously, I won’t say anymore because I don’t want to spoil it, but it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it. On another note, the countries they travel through are high on my list of places to visit!

• Luli says:

I just finished the book and you were right about the ending! I am dissapointed, but of course it was still a wonderful book…but the ending was not what I expected.

8. Jen says:

Wow, haven’t thought about this one in a while… I have the white-cover version and I loved it. Evocative and surreal – I can still recall some of the vivid images I imagined of the some of the settings of this story. I may be inclined to re-read now that you mention it!

9. Jen says:

Oh, just reading the other comments – didn’t know about the second one (The Swan Thieves) so thanks, will look this one up.

Amidst a stack of non-fictions about art journaling (eg: Art at the Speed of Light by Pam Carriker), I am also two chapters into Chocolat… and waiting patiently for ‘Johnny Depp’ to appear :)

10. look see says:

I read The Historian a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I’ve currently got a stack of books next to my bed but I haven’t decided which one to start with!

11. This is actually one of my favorite books! It’s such a good read! Glad to hear you’re enjoying it :)

12. kathy says:

“the importance of being seven” Alexander McCall Smith
    I always give a burst of joy whenever I see a new Alexander McCall Smith sitting on the “new and noteable” shelf at the library. Anything by him makes my day. I open a bottle of wine, line up the munchies and sit back and enjoy ….the only disappointment is they could all be a bit longer. But otherwise they are a joy. Almost as good as a maeve binchy

13. Amanda says:

I loved he Historian! I loved the tone and atmosphere of the book. I couldn’t put it down…