Dec 03, 2011

I’m very thankful for a quiet weekend. Things have been a little stressful here in our little town outside Los Angeles. A mighty wind storm blew in on Wednesday night, toppling trees and knocking out the power. We were without electricity for three days and, only this morning, the Internet came back on. The town was getting ready for the Christmas tree lighting ceremony this weekend. But, alas, the city’s Christmas tree — a huge pine that has stood for decades — was destroyed by the wind.

Not all was terrible. We spent two evenings reading by candlelight and listening to music on my daughter’s iPhone. (She has a very good selection of “heartbreak” music, including everything by Adele. Very bittersweet.)

Anyway, life is getting back to normal. I’m going resist the urge to spend the entire day on the Internet, which I missed most of all!

What are you doing this weekend?

Photo credits: Double Cappuccino, devin+, Sid Black, Jacinta Moore, and Evita Weed.

This entry was posted on Saturday, December 3rd, 2011 at 9:48 am. It is filed under Blog. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

10 Responses to “Happy Saturday”

1. sécia says:

Yes, that wind was truly devastating. We had a lot of trees fall in LA as well. Good to hear the power is back on!

♥ sécia

2. Lovely images! We are getting lots and lots of snow here in CO, so I’m cuddling in for gift-wrapping and movie-watching.

3. Gyongyi says:

It is very foggy and gray here in Hungary so I’m staying inside, making christmas presents. I decided this year to make as many christmas presents myself as I can instead of buying them but I’m starting to panic a little bit because there is only three weeks left and nowhere near done

4. Mandy says:

What sweet pics! Looks like a beautiful day!

5. Jen says:

Is it just me, or is the weather a little nuts everywhere at the moment? I don’t know when our Summer is thinking about getting here… it’s taking its sweet time.
    I’m about the resist the urge to stay on here all day also (tempting as that sounds) as it’s already midday and I’m still in my pyjamas! I love Sundays….

Jen.

6. It is quite nice to have some time with the power out, especially if it’s not too cold! After a couple of hours of thinking I’ll go completely nuts, it becomes very peaceful:)

7. Hannah says:

that’s so sad about the christmas tree.

raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

8. Joy says:

The weekends are more of just days of playing catch now that finals are looming on the horizon. Can’t wait till the huge break in January!

9. chalsie says:

Your comment about your daughters music collection made me giggle.

The Collective Edit x

10. Love the pictures.. They sort of just echo my mood and what I hope for. The tranquility and time for reading and listening to your own heartbeat or a storm (sometimes the same thing).

I find these kind of days quite precious when you can take the time to do these things. For some reason people are afraid to do it when all is avaliable and need a scapegoat whether storm, electricity or illness, to calm themselves and slip into this world. Kinda sad, really..

Or maybe this is just my melancholic mood taking over right now… Anyways, I’m quite with you on the lamp post and Steve Jobs, even though I probably couldn’t do it all out. But the urge is still there though.

All content © 2014 by The English Muse